You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Adam Lallana

SlugTrail

I seem to remember we wanted Lallana at the time we thought Luis was staying, to give us more depth and attacking options, as we were preparing for the CL, after a year focusing only on the PL.

Spending 25 mil. on a player with one good PL season may not have been wise, but at least we weren't spending 35 mil. on a player with less than half a PL season, who would also not be available for some time, due to injury.

Both signings were at the time welcome by majority of fans, to say the least. So, hindsight and all that...

Not so sure about that.

I actually think he does his best and he's worked his balls off under Klopp, but even in our poor squad it's debatable that he's worth a starting spot once Coutinho's back.

No speed, no power in his shot, doesn't create enough and rarely scores. He's also developing a worrying habit of passing directly to the opposition when under no pressure.

Both signings were at the time welcome by majority of fans, to say the least. So, hindsight and all that...

I do seem to remember Carroll being welcomed by most fans of ours I'd talked to, but then at the time most of those were over on RAWK where every player we're linked with is the next coming of Pele by and large.

With Lallana I remember quite the opposite (not on RAWK though, stopped going to that forum for any discussion long before that). Sure most people thought he would be a useful player but I don't think anyone I'd talked with, on a forum or in person, genuinely thought he was worth £25m. Certainly not when we already had Coutinho who's certainly just as good, and better on his day for the same role, with Sterling having shown some quality there as well at the time.

I think you're mistaking people welcoming a signing with people giving a player the benefit of the doubt at the start of their time here.

I do seem to remember Carroll being welcomed by most fans of ours I'd talked to, but then at the time most of those were over on RAWK where every player we're linked with is the next coming of Pele by and large.

With Lallana I remember quite the opposite (not on RAWK though, stopped going to that forum for any discussion long before that). Sure most people thought he would be a useful player but I don't think anyone I'd talked with, on a forum or in person, genuinely thought he was worth £25m. Certainly not when we already had Coutinho who's certainly just as good, and better on his day for the same role, with Sterling having shown some quality there as well at the time.

I think you're mistaking people welcoming a signing with people giving a player the benefit of the doubt at the start of their time here.

I d never seen him play before in my life before we signed him and then I saw him in the world cup. he gave me the same underwhelming feeling I got when I saw kuyt. hopefully he can turn out to be as useful as dirka

I d never seen him play before in my life before we signed him and then I saw him in the world cup. he gave me the same underwhelming feeling I got when I saw kuyt. hopefully he can turn out to be as useful as dirka

Same here for the most part with Lallana, I'd only really seen him against us and then the world cup. My general impression was that he was basically Southampton's Coutinho but not as good, and with less time to grow. I really thought we'd drop it once they slapped that price tag on his head (for what it's worth, I think Southampton thought we would too).

As far as Kuyt goes I remember thinking he would be pretty good for us, although I thought he would be more of a poacher (which I suppose he was as well at the end of the day) than the utility and energy guy he turned out to be. Agree that there's a place for Lallana in the squad if he can start putting in goals like Kuyt did. Dirk wasn't the player I thought we were getting but he definitely scored some relatively important goals in his time here.