You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Adam Lallana

SlugTrail

Lallana was, rightly, being criticised a few weeks ago because we weren't seeing enough from him. Now he is, rightly, being praised. What I'm seeing at the moment is helping me to revise my opinion and long may it continue.

I expected him to be moved on in the summer, but now I'd be surprised, since he has balance, two good feet, is hard working, and is adding some goals and assists. If we sold him it would be for a decent amount, though we must remember that the £25M we bought him for will be equivalent to about £35-40M in today's money, once we factor the new TV riches into the equation. I'm speculating that the cost of signings between Prem clubs will go up around 40% (estimate on my part, but we'll see in summer).

• Upvote 1

Time will tell whether it's a purple patch or if he's finally added the goals and assists he needed to his game. If it's the latter, I think he's smart enough to keep playing to a decent standard well into his thirties though, and offer us enough to stay here.

Cruyff turning out of his beard was a mistake though.

He's adjusting to a new league. Also, I'm quite happy for him to slink out of a challenge that could potentially put him out for three or four weeks. He had a brilliant record of nicking the ball back from defenders in the Bundesliga, but, that's quite different to being Jimmy Case.

Anyway, the bone-rattling stuff should come from his colleagues further back the field.

Bone-shuddering

I'm not sure where our tackles come from in the midfield really.  Can's approach, while effective, is to just put himself between the opposition player and the ball.  As I say, this is effective, but conditions have to be right.  Hendo's is to run alongside people without tackling them, then when the ball gets laid off, point randomly while his teammates ignore him.  

• Upvote 1

I adopt the same tactic others use when putting down Lallana, that's all. I think Lallana is a braver player than Firmino. Firmino turns around or away from the ball more than any player I know, and I've seen him slink out of tackles on several occasions.

Neil Ruddock may well have been a braver player than Hansen as well.

I'm not sure where our tackles come from in the midfield really. Can's approach, while effective, is to just put himself between the opposition player and the ball. As I say, this is effective, but conditions have to be right. Hendo's is to run alongside people without tackling them, then when the ball gets laid off, point randomly while his teammates ignore him.

Milner likes a tackle, it's normally a couple of seconds after the ball has already gone though.

• Upvote 2

• 3 months later...

Dwight Yorke's opinion on Lallana:

'Lallana doesn't score enough goals and he's had chance after chance. At international level, you can't afford to carry people,'

'He hasn't really succeeded at Liverpool yet he walks into Roy Hodgson's team. It's bizarre. What has he done so far?

'I know it's all about opinion but Lallana gives me nothing. He has proven it in the two games he's played; he has not scored, he has not created a goal. He just hasn't got it.

'Listen the guy is a decent player, but you are talking about the first eleven for England and he's in it. It's madness.

'I could play against Lallana now and he wouldn't get past me. He couldn't out-football me. Sterling would make me look like an old man.'

Thoughts? Harsh/fair? He's got 26 caps and 0 goals.

Dwight Yorke's opinion on Lallana:

'Lallana doesn't score enough goals and he's had chance after chance. At international level, you can't afford to carry people,'

'He hasn't really succeeded at Liverpool yet he walks into Roy Hodgson's team. It's bizarre. What has he done so far?

'I know it's all about opinion but Lallana gives me nothing. He has proven it in the two games he's played; he has not scored, he has not created a goal. He just hasn't got it.

'Listen the guy is a decent player, but you are talking about the first eleven for England and he's in it. It's madness.

'I could play against Lallana now and he wouldn't get past me. He couldn't out-football me. Sterling would make me look like an old man.'

Thoughts? Harsh/fair? He's got 26 caps and 0 goals.

His last, cretinous paragraph negates any point he might be trying to make.

I think Dwight Yorke should spend less time chatting shit and more time with his child. He's a despicable human being.

As for his comments, well, Lallana should score more but his work rate has been important for England so far. He's constantly pressing and winning the ball back and is very comfortable on the ball.

Think Yorke is pretty on the money there.

Lallana flatters to deceive for me.  Has a good first touch, good movement.  Yet when it comes to decision making or producing the telling pass, cross or shot - he falls short more often than not.

People praise his running at pressing.  It is good.  But is it any better than Firmino, Milner, Henderson, Origi?  Not really.  

Here are his goals & assists per minute in the league the last three seasons:

13/14 - 221 mins

14/15 - 224 mins

15/16 - 203 mins

He's consistent in that front.  Three different seasons, under three different managers - he's getting a goal or an assists around 200+ mins and it isn't really good enough.  Certainly not if he wants to be a regular for us.

26 caps & 0 goals, doesn't help his case either.

• Upvote 1

Lallans still really annoys me.  You see him missing chances due to lack of conviction and bollocks, then a few minutes later he's giving it the big man trying to gee everyone up, it's bullshit, he's basically a spoofer when it comes to leadership.  Touch of the Hendersons for me. Saying that, I actually don't mind the idea of him being a squad player here as he works hard and can be useful in certain situations 

Defo keep him unless some mad cunt like us offer him 20 million +. . . .

I like him to be honest. He can be fucking boss. He can also be infuriating but so can every player in our squad. Him less so than many others. Has Lucas gone yet?

He's mediocre, like Hendo and Allen. It'd be mad if we give Götze a miss because of him and Firmino.

Henderson is class.  It is not his job to score goals or get assists, like Lallana.

Although Henderson does get goals & assists, it is not his primary role, unlike Lallana.

Lazy comparison.

He's mediocre, like Hendo and Allen. It'd be mad if we give Götze a miss because of him and Firmino.

I have heard from a very reliable source that the reason we have not signed Gotze is because Jurgen Klopp does indeed rate Adam Lallana several levels above Mario Gotze, who Klopp apparently likened to "a fat, little, garden gnome". Sorry to disappoint you mate.