You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Another US Shooting

General Dryness

Just read that whole 4Chan thread.  It's really interesting to me - the lexicon of the internet.

Just from being on this site I've learned lots of terms and phrases that are limited to internet communication.  But they have taken it to a new level.

I can't work out how many of the posts are ironic, and how many are genuine.  Do they deliberately make spelling errors (like our very own Dennis, or on some memes)?  Are they grown men (almost exclusively this seems to be male-dominated domain)?  They seem to be insecure male teenagers with their own language.

They seem to link videos to the person who did the shooting.  Is he typical of 4Chan?  What is 4Chan?  Does it have lots of different "areas" where people of particular interests gather?

They use terms like "faggot" and "nigga" all the time.

I think we all have known misfits with a superiority complex who some people generously claim to be "misundrestood".  Is this where they gather on the internet?

I would love someone to explain it all to me!

Just read that whole 4Chan thread.  It's really interesting to me - the lexicon of the internet.

Just from being on this site I've learned lots of terms and phrases that are limited to internet communication.  But they have taken it to a new level.

I can't work out how many of the posts are ironic, and how many are genuine.  Do they deliberately make spelling errors (like our very own Dennis, or on some memes)?  Are they grown men (almost exclusively this seems to be male-dominated domain)?  They seem to be insecure male teenagers with their own language.

They seem to link videos to the person who did the shooting.  Is he typical of 4Chan?  What is 4Chan?  Does it have lots of different "areas" where people of particular interests gather?

They use terms like "faggot" and "nigga" all the time.

I think we all have known misfits with a superiority complex who some people generously claim to be "misundrestood".  Is this where they gather on the internet?

I would love someone to explain it all to me!

It's a serious madhouse in several places, I think it's also where the Anonymous movement/activist group originally came from in its earliest days. Some of the stuff there can be amusing, some of it mental, some of it twisted, like that thread. As for the terms they use on there, yeah it's kind of like their own language in some ways, you'd probably have to spend a while on there to suss most of it out. Or you could use something like urban dictionary or some other related site to get most of it translated.

And no, the shooting guy isn't typical of 4chan, even though you could think otherwise from so many of the mad responses there. And yep, it has loads of different areas, they're linked at the top of the page from the forums, or linked here.

• Upvote 2

Just seen some mong on telly saying the reason it happened was it was a gun exclusion zone and nobody was armed.

funnily enough I live in a gun exclusion country and it seems to work okay.

saying that guns do make American tv better.By shit on the wire if cars were sprayed with eggs instead of gunfire.

US National Rifle Association calls for ban on ‘schools’

December 15, 2012

After further shootings at US schools, the National Rifle Association has insisted that the only way to prevent further tragedies of this nature is to ban schools.

The shooting at the Sandy Hook elementary school left twenty children dead and forced the NRA to call for immediate changes to existing legislation.

NRA spokesperson Wayne Keene told reporters, “This is a terrible moment for the United States, and our hearts go out to all of those affected, but now is the time to acknowledge that this senseless act would never have happened if it wasn’t for this ‘school’.”

“People will say that the right to an education is an inalienable right and was core to the vision of this country’s forefathers, but we live in different times now, and clearly something needs to be done.”

“It won’t be popular, and people will obviously resist the change, but in order to protect this nation’s children it is now the time to ban schools.”

“Do you know how many school massacres there are in Chad? None. Do you know why? Because the don’t have an organised secondary school system.”

“The evidence is right there in front of us.”

National Rifle Association

When asked if tighter gun control laws could also have prevented the Connecticut shooting, Keene said such suggestions were simply ‘grasping at straws’.

He went on, “People will make knee jerk assumptions on why this tragic event occurred  but I would ask you all not to lose sight of the fact that these children were gathered in a convenient place of learning.”

“Columbine, Virginia Tech, and now Sandy Hook. Education is at the root of all these tragedies.”

“High-powered assault rifles don’t kill children, schools do.”

from newsthump

• Upvote 2

Obama actually looked genuinely exasperated. Not often you see a seasoned politician look genuine.

It will never change in America. They shoot up churches, schools, neighborhoods, Wal Marts, etc..

Funny thing is it usually young white men yet your average American lives in fear of the 'black thug'.

This is a country where Donald Trump is leading the polls to become the nominee for one of their two major political parties to be President.

He is on the record as saying he would get rid of all the lazy and rapey Mexicans, send the Syrian refugees back as they are all ISIS and would date his own daughter.

The country was founded on paranoia of government which is why they have three layers of checks and balances, the President is basically just a veto man who appoints a Cabinet.

I forget the staggering number of gun related deaths, accidental or otherwise, in the US but its close to six figures a year.

The fact there is almost zero political will to do anything about this constant cavalcade of shootings is indicative of how far american politics is from anything resembiling rational thought.

It's not just the politicians. Was watching BBC news this morning and they were talking about this latest episode. Usual stuff but they then went live to the school to talk to the local pastor. The man of Gods pearls of wisdom on how this could have been averted. 'If the students would have been armed'.

• dave u changed the title to Another US Shooting