You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Another US Shooting

General Dryness

The shock isn't the how or the why, but why people are shocked any more by the story.

This is not me being insensitive to the plight of those who have lost their lives, but more about being desensitised about the news of something like this happening, again. 

RIP those who lost their lives.

Same. It's just routine at this point, so it elicits a sigh rather than shock. If anything, the one aspect of the story that made me raise an eyebrow was the fact that he only had a handgun.

Still, I'm sure thoughts and prayers will solve this. People just aren't praying hard enough.

The shock isn't the how or the why, but why people are shocked anymore.

Nail on the head. It's just routine now. You see this thread bumped and it's no longer a shock. You know the next one is just around the corner.

Spoke to my mum about it this morning. She read me a tweet from an woman in the US asking people to pray for her son who'd been shot by the gunman three times. The tweet ended "It was just a game." Feel for her, but you know nothing will change.

Anyone else seen this ? On BBC1 as I type. FFS, I'm jenuinely shaking with fear and anger. It's be on I Player but be warned it's fucking graphic.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p06hym5p/killer-in-our-classroom-never-again?suggid=p06hym5p

Killer in Our Classroom : Never Again

Documentary. In February 2018, 19-year-old Nikolas Cruz entered Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, carrying a semi-automatic rifle. He killed fourteen pupils and three members of staff. In the aftermath of one of the worst mass school shootings in recent history, students from the school organised what became a global, youth-led movement, campaigning for stricter gun laws in America. With filming beginning shortly after the shooting, this documentary follows pupils from the school, including Lewis Mizen, a 17-year-old British senior, as they take on the establishment to demand change. The film also tells the stories of some of the other students affected by the shooting.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45481527

A 12-year-old US boy accused of walking into a classroom with a handgun, pointing it at his teacher and pulling the trigger is in custody on a charge of attempted murder.

The gun did not go off as the safety catch was on. The teacher then managed to talk him down and disarm him, court papers say.

The incident happened at a junior high school in Iowa on 31 August.

The school was put on lockdown and police seized the gun.

The boy is alleged to have walked into the classroom at North Scott junior high school in Eldridge with a handgun and ordered everyone to the floor.

He pointed the gun, which had one round in the chamber, at the teacher's face and pulled the trigger, according to the documents.

No-one was harmed during the incident, and the boy's teacher and another staff member were able to take the gun from the boy.

He faces charges of attempted murder, carrying a weapon on school grounds, and assault while displaying a dangerous weapon.

He has been ordered to remain in state custody at a juvenile detention centre for the time being.

• dave u changed the title to Another US Shooting