You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is this the furthest away from winning the league we have been since we last won it?

Bjornebye

There does seem to be a very hollow feeling on the entire infrastructure/psyche of the football side - an acceptance that there is not really much to the clubs capabilities/expertise outside of a few Americans who showed up at the court house steps and Brendan Rodgers.

It's the reason that we are fucking terrible, and it's entirely their fault. Obviously.

This is why they should fuck off.

Guess we should hope the new owners can not only beat up everyone else's owners but they know more about football than all of them too.

We're as far away as we've ever been; not due to the gulf itself, but because the hope that someone in charge might do what's necessary to win something - or even recognise what that is - is almost entirely gone.

2010 was a kicking we thought we'd get back up from.

Right now, the beating may not be as severe, buy the hope we'll get back up is all but disappeared. We're curling into a ball and accepting it. Maybe someone in analytics will write a dossier about how the bruises are par.

We'll tell ourselves that City changed everything and took our place, but the reality is we haven't been good enough to beat several sides in the interim who've sat between us and fourth place. If City hadn't happened, Spurs would be the team piping us to a CL place.

Utd's wobble under Van Gall was the last ray of light, and we've just about fucked it up entirely thanks to people who think that repeating mistakes increases the chances of being proved right in the long run.

I often think I'd have been happier watching Kenny manage us in the Championship than this slow death on a ship crewed by incompetent wankers covering their own arses.

• Upvote 1

We basically need the lottery win of a new billionaire owner (and all that entails) to realistically challenge consistently so I'd say yes.

We're as far away as I can remember footballing wise, equalling the Souness and Hodgson era.

However our reputation to attract players has deteriorated, we have owners who are clueless on the footballing side and they're not rich enough to compete financially. 

That's nothing in the scheme of things.  It certainly doesn't mean the team should suffer that much.  The pressure was bigger when we were winning everything.  Pressure to come 5th or 4th doesn't really hack it compared to that I'm afraid.  Imagine being expected to win the league and every other competition you enter - every season.  That's pressure.  Ask Chelsea or City or United.  There's no expectation of success here.  None.  

I disagree with some of that, look at some of the reactions to last season. We had just come within a whisker of winning the league and by October people were going crazy and calling for the managers head. We lost to Villa in the semi final and people went mad. That would not happen at clubs like Swansea

The pressure Liverpool players are under is huge, wrong or right, it's there. 

I do agree that finishing 4th or 5th is less pressure than our great teams of the past had, but they were good, we are shit now and have been for quite a while. The expectation to be near the top and winning trophies will always be with there for us though. 

• Upvote 1

I've never seen a big club run arse ways for so long, from consecutive owners as much as us. There's only Newcastle that eclipse us in being run worse. But they have nowhere near the expenditure, nor do they squander the amount of money we do on a habitual basis.

Our transfer policy right now is the worst in the history of football.

• Upvote 4

What exactly is this crippling expectation that is making us collectively shit ourselves?

Wanting to concede less than 50 goals and maybe challenge for the top four, perhaps even win a domestic cup?

I think the expectations on the club are pretty fair, and comparable relative to resources for smaller clubs. In fact, in our favour if anything, for the next level of teams down (possibly not the bottom 7/8 in the league who only aim to stay in the division). 

What extra pressure do we have that Valencia, for example, don't? 

We're pretty shit, anyone that signs for us only has to be able to take a corner properly, or press the defenders occasionally, to win over the supporters. I don't think there really is the enormous pressure any more. A bit more scrutiny in the press perhaps? Christ, if you can't handle that you probably shouldn't be playing professional sport at any level.

• Upvote 2

What exactly is this crippling expectation that is making us collectively shit ourselves?

Wanting to concede less than 50 goals and maybe challenge for the top four, perhaps even win a domestic cup?

I think the expectations on the club are pretty fair, and comparable relative to resources for smaller clubs. In fact, in our favour if anything, for the next level of teams down (possibly not the bottom 7/8 in the league who only aim to stay in the division). 

What extra pressure do we have that Valencia, for example, don't? 

We're pretty shit, anyone that signs for us only has to be able to take a corner properly, or press the defenders occasionally, to win over the supporters. I don't think there really is the enormous pressure any more. A bit more scrutiny in the press perhaps? Christ, if you can't handle that you probably shouldn't be playing professional sport at any level.

none.  We are only a big club in terms of revenue, not expectation. Most fans under 40 won't really remember us winning the league.  

• Upvote 1

Yep, winning the League Cup now for us would be like winning the FA Cup for the very first time in 1965.

"Mounting a challenge" for 4th... that Everestian task... has replaced Shankly's "bread and butter" titles.

That's where the glory-o-meter sits nowadays. 

The most stress this club is under nowadays is from a handful of inept digital age media scum and dickheads like us on the interweb.

As for the players, their biggest tactical dilemma is keeping tweets under 140 characters.

• Upvote 6

We basically need the lottery win of a new billionaire owner (and all that entails) to realistically challenge consistently so I'd say yes.

We're as far away as I can remember footballing wise, equalling the Souness and Hodgson era.

However our reputation to attract players has deteriorated, we have owners who are clueless on the footballing side and they're not rich enough to compete financially.

I think this is what it boils down to.

Wheres our billionaire sugar daddy?

Theres a thread somewhere asking why we ve never been bought over by someone with unlimited funds.

ideally you want to do what united did most recently and have success on the pitch grow the business. We probably did something similar before that.

I never thought we'd go longer than uniteds 26 years but here we are.

city and chelsea had to wait about 50 years each for that.

next in line are west ham.

us and spurs are trying to catch up with united and increase our revenues with bigger stadiums.

I listen to Evertonians on 606 complain about kenwright and wheres their billionaire like they deserve it and in the same breath preach how they dont want to be like chelsea.

we had a decade there when we won everything but the league so we had the success on the pitch but we made the wrong decision off the pitch selling to the cowboys.

Its just been a catalogue of errors on and off the pitch for 25 years. We missed the boat at the start of the premier league era. We ve thrown money at new manager after new manager. Anfields capacity has been the same for as long as I can remember. When we ve had a consistent period of success on the pitch we havent capitalised on it off the pitch. When we get success on the pitch we re comparing the successful manager to shankly and Paisley only for them to be unceremoniously dumped a few years later.

we ve been through a lot of highs and heart break but theres gonna be more. We will win the league at some stage but it could be 30, 40, 50 years from the last one. I just hope im alive to see it and not having kids or grandkids put a pennant on my grave like red sox fans did when they broke their 90 year curse.

none. We are only a big club in terms of revenue, not expectation. Most fans under 40 won't really remember us winning the league.

if you were born in 1982 you would have been 8 when we last won it and you d be 33 now.

this is based on my first clear football memory being liverpool independiente when I was 8.

Yep, winning the League Cup now for us would be like winning the FA Cup for the very first time in 1965.

"Mounting a challenge" for 4th... that Everestian task... has replaced Shankly's "bread and butter" titles.

That's where the glory-o-meter sits nowadays.

The most stress this club is under nowadays is from a handful of inept digital age media scum and dickheads like us on the interweb.

As for the players, their biggest tactical dilemma is keeping tweets under 140 characters.

how long did we go between the last one and shanklys first?

how long did we go between the last one and shanklys first?

What's that got to do with the OP question, and my point about football today?

Nonetheless....

From ancient memory, they got Shankly in 1959 because the club was going nowhere, was totally unambitious, ambling along aimlessly and had been for a long time. Not a dissimilar situation to now, if you factor in it was 2 infinitely more patient generations ago.  

(For the record it had been 12 years since our last title in 1947, not 25.)

He talked a big talk, got us promoted within 3 years, and won us the League within another 2.

What comparative point are you making or wanting me to make?

• Upvote 1

What's that got to do with the OP question, and my point about football today?

Nonetheless....

From ancient memory, they got Shankly in 1959 because the club was going nowhere, was totally unambitious, ambling along aimlessly and had been for a long time. Not a dissimilar situation to now, if you factor in it was 2 infinitely more patient generations ago.

(For the record it had been 12 years since our last title in 1947, not 25.)

He talked a big talk, got us promoted within 3 years, and won us the League within another 2.

What comparative point are you making or wanting me to make?

I just wanted to know but couldnt be arsed looking it up.

• Upvote 2

you know why it feels so bad this time?

Because we were 3 games away from winning it this time.

we ve never been closer.

Mate, the reason it feels so bad is that those 3 games away from winning the title now feels and looks out on the pitch like it was 25 years ago.

2009's challenge was building incrementally.  2014 now looks like a bit of an accident.

• Upvote 1

Until the owners get a clue or sell up we don't have a hope in hell. Christ knows when either of those is likely to happen. I do know that Rodgers will never win the title and even a very good manager working with the current setup would struggle.

See I think a better manager would deal with the setup quite easily and not allow players to be signed then shunt them into outer orbit to prove a point, a better manager would work within the committee rather then against it I case they are shown up.