You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rugby World Cup 2015

sir roger

Guest Pistonbroke

Looking forward to it, Home advantage will take England through to the Semi finals imo. If you get to a semi you always have a chance of winning it. I wouldn't underestimate the home nations, well apart from Scotland who only seem to through a few good performances in against the bigger teams every 2-3 years. 

Looking forward to it, Home advantage will take England through to the Semi finals imo. If you get to a semi you always have a chance of winning it. I wouldn't underestimate the home nations, well apart from Scotland who only seem to through a few good performances in against the bigger teams every 2-3 years.

Englands will find it tough to get out of the group with Wales and Oz. Wales favs to not qualify with Halfpenny and Webb out though

Guest Pistonbroke

Englands will find it tough to get out of the group with Wales and Oz. Wales favs to not qualify with Halfpenny and Webb out though

I'm amazed that Oz, England and Wales are in the same group, every other group is piss easy for the favourites to progress. NZ's group is piss easy. 

I think Wales have far too many key injuries, they do up their game against England by 20% so you never know. Piss myself if both England and Wales go through and OZ go home. 

Surprised there has been no mention with it starting tonight.

I think that, give or take Scotland, the home nations are worse than they were 12 months ago for varying reasons and can see a NZ v Oz final , with France as dark horses.

Not sure about that, England have a truly world class fly-half back from injury and, while they have gambled in the centre positions, Burgess and Slade are both quality players - even if they are a bit inexperienced (Slade gives us great depth across the half-backs as well - I'm interested to see where he plays for Exeter this year as we still have Steenson at Fly if needed and, if England want him at centre...).

We should have ironed out (at least some of) the issues with the lineouts now we have a smaller squad and we have some really dangerous wingers to pick from.

NZ are clear favourites though.

Live this. Coming from Rugby myself I was 17 when we won the WC in 2003. I with a lad from my rugby academy went to watch the game in town. We both turned up late with hangovers and couldn't get into any pubs in the town. We ended up in Riley's and where drinking 4pint pitchers for £4. By 0830 in the morning I was being interviewed by the local press standing on top of the William Web Ellis statue, hailing Johnny Wilkinson as the second coming.

I told my mum I was watching round a mates. Wasn't fun the next day explaining that one when I was on the front cover of the paper.

I can't wait for tonight. Gonna be boss. Gonna be even better cause the Mrs doesn't like rugby and I will get to watch if in peace.

I'll be driving round with two little St George flags on top of my car like a mongoloid reindeer and kicking the face off any cunt wearing another country's shirt.

Never even watch rugby, just going to attach myself to it as a meagre excuse to act like a complete arsehole and be aggressive.

INGERLUND INGERLUND INGERLUND.

• Upvote 2

Guest Pistonbroke

Not sure about that, England have a truly world class fly-half back from injury and, while they have gambled in the centre positions, Burgess and Slade are both quality players - even if they are a bit inexperienced (Slade gives us great depth across the half-backs as well - I'm interested to see where he plays for Exeter this year as we still have Steenson at Fly if needed and, if England want him at centre...).

We should have ironed out (at least some of) the issues with the lineouts now we have a smaller squad and we have some really dangerous wingers to pick from.

NZ are clear favourites though.

The biggest improvement for me over the last 12 months has been the discipline. We were shocking before this and gave away far too many avoidable penalties. 

Coming from Gloucester (which is bad enough) I've had rugby shoved down my throat my whole life. I actually quite liked it as a kid but then got to senior school and had to play for 4 months of the year. Our old PE teacher overlooked you for the f**tball team if you didn't try out for the rugby team. Also in town they refuse to show any f**tball in the pubs if there is a rugby game on telly, even if it's French second division.

I'll still get pissed up and go to the fan zone though, cunts.

I hate Rugby Union. Like others, our school was a Rugby Union school and flatly rejected any attempts to get a football side going - mainly because some of the better (ie faster) Rugby players were also the better footballers and would rather play football.

Fuck Rugby. Fuck Mr Franklin. Fuck Mr Bosworth. Fuck Mr Goulty. Actually, don't Fuck My Goulty, I liked him and he did sympathise with us footballers and did try and get a football team going.

But yeah, anyway, fuck the egg chasing jamooks.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I hate Rugby Union. Like others, our school was a Rugby Union school and flatly rejected any attempts to get a football side going - mainly because some of the better (ie faster) Rugby players were also the better footballers and would rather play football.

Fuck Rugby. Fuck Mr Franklin. Fuck Mr Bosworth. Fuck Mr Goulty. Actually, don't Fuck My Goulty, I liked him and he did sympathise with us footballers and did try and get a football team going.

But yeah, anyway, fuck the egg chasing jamooks.

There are rules

What's the rationale behind so many of the big nations refusing to select players unless they play in their home country's league?

The fact that the sport is polarised to such distant parts of the world is one issue (can't have our kickers playing in Australia and 1 months of the year), another is retaining the strength of the domestic leagues when others (France, more recently England) have more money to spend.

Guest Pistonbroke

Decent enough first half from England but way to many handling errors, I guess we have to accept that when they are trying to feed ball to hand more than usual. Fiji have been pretty good as well apart from the first 20 minutes where they were all over the place and let us get a 10 point lead on them.