You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rugby World Cup 2015

sir roger

Excellent game of Rugby to watch even if skill levels weren't that high from either side.

Yet again Lancaster's conservative approach has cost England. Picking 3 bigger defensive guys in midfield over smaller but more creative ones.  As it showed, when England did run the ball they caused Wales all kinds of problems.  If Ford & Slade had been picked over Farrell (whose kicking from ball in hand was abysmal) and Barritt (who offers absolutely nothing in attack & was at fault for the Wales try) I'm pretty sure England would have won that game.

Now a huge game against Australia - who have been ever improving since the Lions Test series. Unless England can totally dominate at the set piece then I don't hold a great deal of hope for them winning.  Losing yesterday will be a body blow they can't recover from imo.

As for Wales, injuries have now become a serious problem.  They have got to hope they just do a professional job on Fiji without picking anymore up, ready for another massive game against Australia.  When that comes round they will already know what they have to do.  If Australia beat England both teams will be as good as qualified anyway & it'll be a fight for top spot - not that it matters hugely looking at quality of South Africa & Scotland.

Could someone explain to me why highly paid professionals make so many basic infringements at this level of the game.

It was by no means a unique example but it's what cost England yesterday

I don't understand the rules, no idea what the difference is between a maul and ruck, but I like the fact that the ref explains everything and players seem to genuinely respect them.

I can never understand why they get singers to do the national anthems at sporting events. It always sounds like over-indulgent shite (why use one note when 12 will do?) and out of sync with the crowd who are singing it themselves anyway. Just play a tape/CD/mp3 and let the crowd do their thing as they ALWAYS do a much better job of it, and drop-kick all these singers into the nearest river.

• Upvote 1

Ever since Wilkinson did his 'cupping his hands under a running tap' routine prior to taking a kick, they all do some overly elaborate faff about before taking a kick. The Welsh player Biggar yesterday looked like he was having an epi, and the England player Farrell was doing some weird head tilt thing too.

Could someone explain to me why highly paid professionals make so many basic infringements at this level of the game.

Some of the things players get penalised for baffle me. There was one incident yesterday when an England players was penalised for not propping up his own weight on his arms when contesting a ruck or maul (I don't know what theses are either but they're those passages of play where one player gets tackled and everyone else piles in). He had 2 or 3 fat lads on top of him so it would have been quite a feat to support his own weight in those circumstances.

I don't understand the rules, no idea what the difference is between a maul and ruck, but I like the fact that the ref explains everything and players seem to genuinely respect them.

That's one thing about rugby refereeing I do like. They explain a situation and their decision to the players and whether the players agree with them or not, they accept the decision because the reasoning has been explained to them. And it's clear to the viewer at home even if they are unfamiliar with the sport. In the round ball game, the referees often act dismissively and penalise people in situations where some dissent is understandable.

A ruck is on the floor over a tackled man, the tackled player has to release the ball and the tackler has to let him (those two points make up the majority of penalties/turnovers).

A maul is standing, the ball holder is facing away from the opposition and his teammates build a group (like a scrum formation) around him to try and drive through the defence. It's a penalty if the other team brings it down, they have to stop the drive to force the ball loose. You usually see them when a team brings the ball down from a line-out.

• Upvote 1

Was disappointed overall yesterday. We didn't really threaten, the replacements brought nothing to the side and Robshaw's silly penalty really cost us.

Ford's game management is much better, but I bet we'd have gone for the penalty at the end if Farrell was still there. I had doubts whether Ford would make it anyway.

Also, getting annoyed by the total absence of Slade and Nowell so far. We needed a ball handler in the middle badly and again, when the game is breaking down Nowell's fight and ability to run through tackles is of more use than Watson's tiring pace.

Rugby referees are treated with a lot more respect partially because any dissent from a player over a penalty results in the position of the penalty being moved a further 10 metres into the offending player's territory.  Rugby is a territorial game (unlike football), so this is a significant sanction.   

Pressure, lack of composure & quite frankly ill discipline.  Generally the best players/teams know when to really compete for the ball at ruck & mauls and when to leave it be and get into a defensive formation.  England have too many players who suffer what is only a few seconds rush of blood to the head & concede silly penalties.

Agree with most of that GC but despite being ' Brave Blossomed 'last week, I would expect Wales to beat Scotland but get beaten by The Saffers.

South Africa look very ordinary imo.  There are kind of in limbo.  Still picking too many of the old guard because the younger generation aren't quite ready yet.  Yes they are a physical side but I would expect Wales to compete fine in that area. Also imo they don't have a back line that should hurt a well organised top tier nation.  Very little creativity from 9-15.  Le Roux probably their best back.  Would not surprise me if Scotland beat SA.

South Africa look very ordinary imo.  There are kind of in limbo.  Still picking too many of the old guard because the younger generation aren't quite ready yet.  Yes they are a physical side but I would expect Wales to compete fine in that area. Also imo they don't have a back line that should hurt a well organised top tier nation.  Very little creativity from 9-15.  Le Roux probably their best back.  Would not surprise me if Scotland beat SA.

Will be interesting to find out.The Wales v Fiji game could also be interesting as well, as the last time I saw that many Welsh guys injured was Zulu Dawn on Film 4.

• Upvote 1

I can never understand why they get singers to do the national anthems at sporting events. It always sounds like over-indulgent shite (why use one note when 12 will do?) and out of sync with the crowd who are singing it themselves anyway. Just play a tape/CD/mp3 and let the crowd do their thing as they ALWAYS do a much better job of it, and drop-kick all these singers into the nearest river.

Massively agree with this. I used to look forward to the anthems and used to get a tingle down the spine when the crowds ( Welsh and French particularly ) belted them out. Now they are ruined by someone who came 6th in the X Factor in 2009 over emoting drowning out the fans.