You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Martin GOBSHITE Tyler.......

old skool tom

so what? Are you dependent on having the commentary on during the game?

Commentary matters. I remember turning it off for the novelty value during England's game against Ecuador in the 2006 World Cup. Beckham scored from a free kick and I had no idea he had done so for a good few seconds. Not a big deal to me, but it annoyed my wife who was denied that exquisite moment of delight.

Guest Pistonbroke

so what?  Are you dependent on having the commentary on during the game? 

I personally watch it via a German site with German commentary. Maybe I would go back to watching Sky commentary if they replaced the amount of bell ends they have commentating/co commentating. Like others have said, I think commentary adds to the whole event when done in a neutral way, sitting in silence kind of spoils it, personally I doubt many fans actually watch any sport with the sound on mute. 

I quite like Lee Dixon, he's unbiased to Arsenal players and is way more insightful than most out there. I used to love Barry Davies because he was the voice I remember most when I first started watching football but for that same reason I always liked Ron Atkinson because he reminded me of Champions League football and we know how that turned out.

There's genuinely few commentators that actually add to the experience of the match and even less that talk sense, the best pundit/commentator right now and possibly ever in my opinion is James Richardson. I'm glad he's still on the tele.

• Upvote 2

Two comments down and they're off...

bob fourapples  16 Jan 2017 8:49PM

The paranoid victims foaming at the mouth out again. Do they remember Martin Tyler commentating in the City-QPR game when Aguero's last minute goal won the title? Yeah lots of Utd. bias from him in that game.

He's almost as bad as that spud Phil Neville was on MotD the other night. Getting a lip on other the criticism Stones gets every week for being a fucking 50 million pound perma-spaz but when he was sticking both boots into Karius and telling him to shut up, that was perfectly acceptable. Fucking clown.

As for Tyler, as the thread title says, he's a gobshite and has clear bias in my view, but it's not surprising considering he works for a company that thinks they invented football. The pundits in this country are shocking. There's a few good ones but from what I've seen from streams, the Yanks do it much better. I think I'll scream if I hear some cunt over here describing someone as 'box office' again. Especially Mourinho. 

The paranoid victims foaming at the mouth out again. Do they remember Martin Tyler commentating in the City-QPR game when Aguero's last minute goal won the title? Yeah lots of Utd. bias from him in that game.

I remember his stupid premeditated girly scream that bled a thousand ears and made millions want to kick their tvs every time Sky replayed it. He's a horrible shadow of what he used to be - these days he chunters on about anything but what is happening in front of his eyes, prefers speculating about England's next team selection rather than focusing on the match here and now, sees ominous omens in old dates and coincidences like some mad medieval warlock and simply never, ever, shuts the fuck up.

• Upvote 4

If you are going to have a co-commentator I'd much prefer a knowledgeable football journalist than an ex footballer who was simply athletic and skillful enough to follow technical instruction for a few years. That Raphael Honigstein seems decent as a co-commentator on streamed sites and I'm sure there are plenty of others. You dont need to have played the game at a high level to understand what's going on.

It was Utd v Liverpool at old Trafford and they had 2 ex liverpool players in the studio and one on the gantry. Who gives a fuck if he is bias to the Mancs when we play them. I imagine all the pundits are supposed to be somewhat impartial but they arnt.

I couldn't give a fuck about it when we're so highly represented.

It was Utd v Liverpool at old Trafford and they had 2 ex liverpool players in the studio and one on the gantry. Who gives a fuck if he is bias to the Mancs when we play them. I imagine all the pundits are supposed to be somewhat impartial but they arnt.

I don't mind a bit of bias if it's done the right way because it shows you aren't just chatting shit or changing your opinion on something because you get paid to, what I don't like is when a so called neutral is so blatantly biased like Tyler and the way Neville is biased pisses me off, he excuses most bad things Utd do and then literally seconds later in some cases the opposition does similar and it's suddenly a crime.

it's not so easy to dismiss the paranoia accusation.

no, no, because ex Liverpool players could never be so biased. It's just everyone else.