You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Martin GOBSHITE Tyler.......

old skool tom

He did go similarly batshit when Gerrard scored against Olympiakos and West Ham so it's probably best to concentrate your energies on to actual problems with our team and club rather than Martin Tyler.  

Tyler has praised us down the years, calling us Britain's most decorated club.

Tyler has come to epitomise the sad decline in football commentary, due mainly to the presence of a co-commentator. Originally, the co-commentator was an ex-pro who only spoke when there was a key incident, such as a goal, a major foul or a big refereeing decision. Great. But gradually they started being brought in more and more, until the actual game was a distraction from the conversation. That's what's wrecked Tyler and others. I've noticed he's become even worse this season - he NEVER shuts up. And he rarely actually says what's happening in the match. An attack begins and he's still waffling away to Neville about an England player who's not even playing in the game, or some pointless bit of trivia about ten years or so ago, or what someone said in the paper several days ago, etc etc. He almost sounds resentful when he has to break off to mention a shot or a save. It really is moronic, and sad that no producer ever bothers to deal with it. All of these people need to be given several matches on their own, so they learn all over again how to actually commentate.

• Upvote 4

It's interesting to watch MOTD games from the 80's and hear Motson then and compare him to now.

He was a generally calm and articulate commentator back then, but now he's morphed into the hysterical shouter that modern TV coverage demands. I blame Jonathan Pearce. He started off this trend for ranting, hysterical, hyperbole-laden, shouty over reactions on radio and on Channel 5 in the late 90's.

• Upvote 1

It's interesting to watch MOTD games from the 80's and hear Motson then and compare him to now.

He was a generally calm and articulate commentator back then, but now he's morphed into the hysterical shouter that modern TV coverage demands. I blame Jonathan Pearce. He started off this trend for ranting, hysterical, hyperbole-laden, shouty over reactions on radio and on Channel 5 in the late 90's.

I remember Motson being ace back in the day.

The most irritating in my opinion is Peter "bafana bafana rejoices" Drury. He attaches what he perceives to be iconic commentary to any incident -and it's usually two or three word phrases, not even actual sentences. Often it's clearly pre-planned, as in his most famous "a goal for all of Africa". As someone said about Tyler earlier, it's just an attempt to to make his own "profound" words part of the story and get on highlights packages and adverts. I despise it.

That said, I happened to catch his commentary on the Martial goal and even he didn't lose his shit as much as Tyler.

What they all fail to grasp is that the truly iconic, memorable moments of commentary are spontaneous and that is what makes them so good. No amount of pre-planned patronising of the African continent can substitute for that.

I don't know about anyone else but I find Tyler & Gray's commentary on the Gerrard, Olympiakos goal really annoying, obviously not annoying enough to ruin one of the happiest moments of my entire life like but the pair of them & that intergalactic mega cunt, Tyldesely can all fuck off. Them and pretty much every other commentator/pundit these days.

Give me John 'Toshack, Keegan, one nil' Coleman over these twats anyday.

Speaking of Tyldesley I see the cunt is working on mutv now, while I was having a shity half time Thi beer.

Remember the name - Wayne Rooney

Tyldsley said something after Rooneys sensational penalty against world football giants San Marino like 'and you now will remember the name'... I cringed so much I couldn't press mute in time, dropped the remote and the batteries fell out and rolled just under the couch out of reach. Thanks Clive you thunder cunt.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Ok this may not be the place to post this but i did a cursory mooch for a 'pundits' thread' so it will have to do. Trevor 'shutupyoufuckingcunt' Francis!  How? seriously how is this twat allowed on tv? what the fuck BtTv owen?  Glen 'fuckthedisabled' Hoddle and a terminally uninterested Arry 'doglovintaxdodgin' Redknapp wasn't enough? you have to have francis? the cunt.

Klopp needs to make a change??? really you fuck, after 4 minutes??? 

his 'i haven't been a manager for a long time' quote was pure 24 karot cuntery. 

No you haven't Trevor ( Fucking Trevor!!!!???)  and when you were you made such monumental decisions as telling Eric Cantona that he needed a second trial so you ' could see how he played on grass' while at Sheffield Wednesday. Good decision Trevor, after he told you to suck his French arse it turned out he was quite useful at playing on grass.

After further spells(short) underachieving at Birmingham City and Crystal palace you went on to manage ... well fucking  no-one. 

Please refrain from soiling our beautiful new shiny talented manager with your advice and inane drivel in future.

• Upvote 8

I like Martin Tyler. I remember his gig on Italian football highlights when he tag-teamed with Andy Gray. The final game of 1991 season was a party for Sampdoria and Alexei Mikhailichenko came on wearing the demeanour of a man who had arrived when there was only Campari left to drink. Gray duly reminisced on the similarities with his peripheral contribution to Everton's title run-in. This led Tyler to observe that "except he [Mikhailichenko] didn't endlessly complain about it."

It gets funnier as the years go on.

Ok this may not be the place to post this but i did a cursory mooch for a 'pundits' thread' so it will have to do. Trevor 'shutupyoufuckingcunt' Francis! How? seriously how is this twat allowed on tv? what the fuck BtTv owen? Glen 'fuckthedisabled' Hoddle and a terminally uninterested Arry 'doglovintaxdodgin' Redknapp wasn't enough? you have to have francis? the cunt.

No you haven't Trevor ( Fucking Trevor!!!!???) and when you were you made such monumental decisions as telling Eric Cantona that he needed a second trial so you ' could see how he played on grass' while at Sheffield Wednesday. Good decision Trevor, after he told you to suck his French arse it turned out he was quite useful at playing on grass.

After further spells(short) underachieving at Birmingham City and Crystal palace you went on to manage ... well fucking no-one.

Please refrain from soiling our beautiful new shiny talented manager with your advice and inane drivel in future.

"They ve clearly never played this formation before" eh we ve played it every week since he got here with a different front man this week.

"They havent had long enough to work on this system" klopps been here 3 weeks.

"I havent managed a team and therefore havent had to pick a team in a long time" no chance of that changing any time soon.

wish there was a vidwo of him dry humping owen in the studio when beckham scored the free kick against greece

Ok this may not be the place to post this but i did a cursory mooch for a 'pundits' thread' so it will have to do. Trevor 'shutupyoufuckingcunt' Francis! How? seriously how is this twat allowed on tv? what the fuck BtTv owen? Glen 'fuckthedisabled' Hoddle and a terminally uninterested Arry 'doglovintaxdodgin' Redknapp wasn't enough? you have to have francis? the cunt.

No you haven't Trevor ( Fucking Trevor!!!!???) and when you were you made such monumental decisions as telling Eric Cantona that he needed a second trial so you ' could see how he played on grass' while at Sheffield Wednesday. Good decision Trevor, after he told you to suck his French arse it turned out he was quite useful at playing on grass.

After further spells(short) underachieving at Birmingham City and Crystal palace you went on to manage ... well fucking no-one.

I lost my shit in the pub when he was stating starting Firmino as the striker (false 9). The cunt had never seen him play before because that's the role he has played for the last few times for Brazil. He's a fucking cunt

• Upvote 1

I have to confess that during a game I'm as bad as anyone in allowing pundits to annoy me. But then in down time I often think the problem is me, not them, as I realise that they're generally as clueless a fucker as I am even though they've played the game, so maybe I should laugh at them.

I remember that the BBC had an option to turn off the commentary and just have the crowd noise during one of the international tournaments. Bring that back for all football please.

• Upvote 2