You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Dentist

Bjornebye

Guest Pistonbroke

I had an implant done 20 years ago that cost me £1500.  My dentist charges well over £200 for a checkup and a hygenist visit, which together take less than an hour.  

On average that costs 70€ in Germany and we whinge about that, just another example of rip off Britain. 

I'm in the fortunate position of not having to pay for it (though I did for the implant) but it is a rip off. I would't mind, but the hygienist is Scottish and a bit rough with the old scraper. She has the worst bedside manner since Rose West.

Hang on, Cath is your dentist?

I had an implant done 20 years ago that cost me £1500. My dentist charges well over £200 for a checkup and a hygenist visit, which together take less than an hour.

NHS check up is £19.70, deducted from the £53.90 charge for further work (filling, root canal or extraction).

Dentistry is an underrated part of the NHS.

Also, dentists told that racist cunt David Davis that they'll have nothing to do with his shitcunt idea of treating vulnerable people like horses at an auction.

I'm in the fortunate position of not having to pay for it (though I did for the implant) but it is a rip off.  I would't mind, but the hygienist is Scottish and a bit rough with the old scraper.  She has the worst bedside manner since Rose West.

Hang on, Cath is your dentist?

'Scottish and a bit rough' and you thought of me? Thanks, mate

haha - she does look a bit like Cath to be fair.  And I do remember Cath carrying her own 'scraper' to Wembley

And you!

NHS check up is £19.70, deducted from the £53.90 charge for further work (filling, root canal or extraction).

Also, dentists told that racist cunt David Davis that they'll have nothing to do with his shitcunt idea of treating vulnerable people like horses at an auction.

Really? Another plus for devolution, eh? A check up costs me £10.70.

Oh, and on the gold, PB, when I got my crown I was given the option of gold or porcelain, the gold being the cheaper option. Vanity won and I went for the unobtrusive porcelain. Cost me about £300 if I remember 

• Upvote 1

The queue for an NHS dentist down here makes the Liverpool Season Ticket queue look like the one for the latest Beady Eye CD.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Right at the back of my bottom row of teeth a hole has appeared in my gum, like beyond the back tooth.

Problem is I can see something white, I'm too old for wisdom teeth so I'm thinking it could be part of my jawbone.

Thought it was just an ulcer at first, had it a couple of days and fingered it a bit today and noticed me finger smelt a bit funky afterwards, only noticed the hole after having look to see what was going on.

Anybody got experience with this?

Right at the back of my bottom row of teeth a hole has appeared in my gum, like beyond the back tooth.

Problem is I can see something white, I'm too old for wisdom teeth so I'm thinking it could be part of my jawbone.

Thought it was just an ulcer at first, had it a couple of days and fingered it a bit today and noticed me finger smelt a bit funky afterwards, only noticed the hole after having look to see what was going on.

Anybody got experience with this?

I don’t think there’s an age limit for wisdom teeth appearing

If it has an iffy smell Aventus it sounds like it has become infected or is an abcess, I think realistically you need to go to your dentist or your local dental hospital to make sure you are OK.

I had a bad experience having a tooth pulled in my early-20's and never went for over 20 years until my wife tricked me into going one day and one of the best things she has done. He is great & I am not really worried about going these days.

Saw a news story a month or two back about a new NHS practice opening ( Think it was down South somewhere ) and people actually slept out overnight in the queue to make sure they got on the books.

I'm due to go the dentist anyway, it's been about 6 months, I'll ring up and make an appointment tomorrow.

Was just wondering if I might need my face amputated, hopefully they can give me a decent prosthetic to replace this mug.

In the meantime I'll just crack open the Anbesol, not to be confused with Anusol, I won't be making that mistake again, tastes like shit that stuff, in hindsight I probably should have washed the applicator after my dad used it.

• Upvote 1

They're fucking scum by and large with zero empathy for suffering unlike other medical professionals, most do it purely for the money.

I've had a couple of incidents where they've tried to talk me into having teeth out instead of fillings or root canal because the tooth is too difficult to get at (ie not worth their time for the NHS capped money they'd get for their time).

We moved to a new dentist when we moved house and the shyster reckoned the lump I had on my gum meant I needed root canal and that- and I quote- "I could do it for NHS prices but the person you really want is my boss, he'd do it privately but the outcomes would be better." I said I'd take my chances with him and he said 'let's just see how it goes and see if it improves'.

Needless to say I never went back and have had no trouble with it.

When they graduate they should have to take the hypotwatic oath, where they promise to be a money grubbing twat who vent the pent up anger brought about by the fact their fathers are profoundly disappointed in them for not having the brains to get into proper medical school on innocent poor people and frightened children.

I went to the dentist, and he said its a wisdom tooth coming through, and that it's food or bacteria causing the smell.

I assumed all my teeth had come through so I was a bit surprised, but to be fair I have never sat there at night counting the fuckers so I've got no idea where I'm up to with them.

The hole is the time/space continueum(sp?) and if you poke it with your finger your finger will regress to a 5 year old.

Hole..... Finger....... 5 year old....... 42a64b811ee5525a2569647a4e8a952d.jpg

• 4 years later...

Has anyone got experience of having dental work done abroad? I was in Goa about 6 years ago and got talking to an Indian dentist. I asked him why there were so many dental businesses and he said most of them work in the UK then fly to India for a few weeks a year for what they call profitable work but in reality is cheap as chips for the mainly UK tourists who go there for treatment with a holiday thrown in. I need a load of work doing. I'm considering it but would be good to know if anyone's done it. 

16 minutes ago, Redder Lurtz said:

Has anyone got experience of having dental work done abroad? I was in Goa about 6 years ago and got talking to an Indian dentist. I asked him why there were so many dental businesses and he said most of them work in the UK then fly to India for a few weeks a year for what they call profitable work but in reality is cheap as chips for the mainly UK tourists who go there for treatment with a holiday thrown in. I need a load of work doing. I'm considering it but would be good to know if anyone's done it. 

Going to a sweat shop in India for dental work. What could possibly go wrong?

I have never done it and would find it hard to see many positives.

13 minutes ago, Redder Lurtz said:

Got friends who have just had teeth done in Dalyan, not sure what procedure is called but existing teeth get ground down and new ones glued on, cost a grand for 6 new top front teeth. Implants are about £400 a tooth. Problem is if you try and do on a 2 week holiday, my friends had their new ones sent back 3 times as the dentist wasn't happy with them. All done now and they look great.

2 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Going to a sweat shop in India for dental work. What could possibly go wrong?

I have never done it and would find it hard to see many positives.

At least part of the reason I'm considering it is that I've not been to one for ages, having been put off following a visit to an absolute fucking butcher a few years ago. I find very little to be positive about with uk dentistry. Especially as there are basically zero NHS dentists around these days.