You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

United v Liverpool - match thread

Paco

Guest Super Sub

De Gea has signed a new contract I think United will have the advantage of being on a high with this announcement as will the fans. We will have our tail between our legs and unless we come out like we did against Arsenal I don't rate our chances.

We have to go there and look to do real damage to them. It's a massive game as it puts down a marker for top four - obviously still miles to go as we've only just started, but you get the sense that the storm clouds are gathering for whichever side loses. 

If they lose, Van Gaal is a control freak, the spending is out of control, and their confidence is severely damaged. If we lose it's another nail in Brendan's coffin, especially if it is a bad loss. Again, confidence will be severely damaged and the media will be kicking off on the money spent. 

So, even though neither team will get close to contesting the title, this game is massive. 

We cannot go there and hope to shut up shop and maybe nick one on the break or something. That would be disastrous and it would invite them onto us. Instead we have to go there and try to take charge. Get Ings up front with Benteke, Firmino behind, Lucas/Can/Milner, and put Sakho in for Lovren. (This assumes Henderson isn't fit). 

If we do that and give it a real go it could be a great day for us. 

Liverpool Football Club exist to finish between 5th and 8th and get to the semi-finals of domestic cup competitions.

Only Sturridge and possibly Coutinho and Firmino in a few years deserve to play at a club of our stature. 2 of them are missing from this game.

In the unlikely scenario we get a result it almost certainly won't be down to our excellence, rather the faults of the opposition. Never has it been so grim as a Liverpool fan. Even Hodge's era had the optimism hope of his sacking. We know we're stuck with Brendan for the season.

Wasn't old enough to experience Souness, can only imagine this was what it felt like to have him in charge while signing the likes of Stewart, Piechnik, Ruddock and Dicks.

Just pissed myself at that line.

Surely the 2-0 at Sunderland with Swansea was a better defeat?

“It is great for the public here at Sunderland to see us,” said manager Brendan Rodgers. “They must have been wondering what this team everyone is talking about are all about and now they have seen. We were wonderful.

• Upvote 1

I thought that "best defeat" was a made up line but that's what he said. I know what he means but he tries to speak like a sage and comes across as an onion, more specifically every interview I read by him sounds like it's from The Onion. If he gets the team working and succeeding I couldn't give two fucks about it, although when we are shit you just think, please just no.

• Upvote 5

Time for Firminio and Benteke to show why we spent so much on them. Others need to step up with Coutinho and Henderson missing.

United will be coming in much more confident. Rooney will fancy scoring (if he plays), and De Gea will probably have a stormer too - if he plays.