You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Changing what team you support

Section_31

I had no choice but support Liverpool as all my family are reds. I could no more change who i support than stick a needle in my eye, fucking outragious behaviour.

I keep an eye on other teams results, Hereford, Hull and Rangers but only from connections to areas etc. I couldnt wear scarves shirts, sing songs or the like.

I cannot understand either how dads allow their sons to follow a different team. I heard on the radio the other day how Danny Murphys lad supports chelsea.

Piss poor parenting

If my wee boy likes Football I will encourage him to support his local team (Hibs or Hearts) I didn't have one where I grew up and I envy people who do.

Having said that, if he chooses Chelsea he can fuck off and find somewhere else to live.

I support Liverpool cos me dad did, my son supports Liverpool cos I do. Thats the way it should be, couldnt imagine supporting a team just beacause they won. It means more when you care, you cant just change. Follow the Dolphins in the NFL, because i spent a few years in south florida, follow Barca, but not a thought for them if they play us. You support a team and thats it. Look at the people who support Lower League teams, my neighbour is a Tranmere fan, season ticket holder. My lad goes now and then, its only a fiver so him and his mates go. went myself in the seventies when it was a friday night game.

Several years ago, for a brief period of around a week, our kid (for some unbeknownst reason) decided to change allegiances to Man U fucking nited.

After a week of me dishing out a severe good hiding, often several times daily, his resolve  crumbled.

Back then we had an Old English Sheepdog called Jasper. It was the height of the summer, and our poor Jasper had diarrhea; my brother's penance was to wipe old Jasper's arse with his Man U scarf (sorry Jasper), and then burn the fucker in the back garden.

A job well done, I think you'd agree. My brother would thank me for my intervention, to this very day.

• Upvote 3

Anyone who describes themself as a 'lifelong' Liverpool fan is immediately dismissed as someone without a fucking clue in my book. The very fact you think this needs confirming means you miss the point completely. Anyone who changes teams is an utter irrelevance who has no concept of how football gets into your blood.

They probably eat mushy banana and marmite "toppers" as well.

• Upvote 2

I think it depends where you are from. If you are from a place that has no affinity to any club then it's easy to change.

There arent many football supporters from Liverpool that support a team that is not Liverpool or Everton. Same for London, Manchester etc.

It's the no mans land areas that get to choose any team that puzzle me.

How can you have an affinity to an English football team when you are from Norway? Or Thailand?

A lad I work with is a Man U supporter from Essex and he was telling me a load of people from his area are either Chelsea or Man City fans. These would have been Man U or Liverpool fans 20 years ago.

It's funny how people who just choose themselves a team never choose a shit one isnt it?

I've been following football for 20 years and I chose Liverpool, mainly cos young Fowler and McManaman were brilliant to watch, so I wanted to keep watching them... But yeah it was kind of arbitrary.. I could've as easily been a United fan, if I had caught a different match.. I probably would've been a happier football fan too.. But I made my choice, and it hasn't been too bad a trip.

I've been following football for 20 years and I chose Liverpool, mainly cos young Fowler and McManaman were brilliant to watch, so I wanted to keep watching them... But yeah it was kind of arbitrary.. I could've as easily been a United fan, if I had caught a different match.. I probably would've been a happier football fan too.. But I made my choice, and it hasn't been too bad a trip.

I dont think you choose a team unless you are from an area which doesnt have a recognised team and then its your choice.

If you are born on Merseyside,or at least were back in the 40/50/60/70s etc,you were simply born into it. Parents and Uncles/Aunties/Cousins were all followers and matchgoers and it was simply a right of passage to start attending games at Anfield or Goodison. Due to modern 'moneyball' i think this sort of thing is close to dying out with bigger teams but may increase with the smaller ones instead.

Just my opinion,of course,but it seems the attachment is loosening due to the way the British game is moving.

You can change your car, move to another house, divorce your wife and marry another bitch, but you can’t change your team. If you could, you wouldn’t be a supporter.

I’m a Liverpool fan, it sticks,  I’ll never get rid of it. Sometimes it sucks, but occasionally it makes me happy.

• Upvote 1

My wife was born in Liverpool, but her family moved down souf when she was five. Her brother was born a few years later and grew up surrounded by a load of Berkshire ponces which meant he followed the pressure of his peers in supporting - you've guessed it - the Mancs. Things went very fast between me and his sister after we met the night of the Roma game in 2002 and it was immediately clear we were for keeps, so he moved quickly to 'fess up to his secret past, told in the tones of someone who was admitting to keeping a handicapped relative chained up in the attic. He explained that he felt the need to switch for the sake of family harmony, and I can think of worse reasons. After all, he has more right to be supporting Liverpool than I do - I'm looking forward to my son being the bestest Liverpool fan in the werld as far as his peers are concerned, thanks to his heritage. Unfortunately my brother-in-law would occasionally show the zeal of a convert, sneering at my wife for not expressing the requisite amount of interest in an upcoming fixture. "Some fan you are" he would say if she didn't know every excruciating detail about the game. Thankfully I have never reacted, but at times it's been a close run thing.

On a more cheerful note, the upcoming Sion game is a reminder of the tipping point in his conversion. She was back in Liverpool to attend uni and he was up visiting her so she suggested it might be nice to take in a game. By the end of the 6-3 humdinger he could barely speak, so overwhelmed was he by the occasion. Which is nice.

There's a young fella turns up in the gym I go to ,one day it's a City shirt the next Arsenal then for good measure a Barcelona one. What the fuck is that all about?

Disgusting behaviour.

Incidentally I think I might have hit upon a reason why adult shirts for lottery clubs spring up everywhere. Fella next door to me is a Forest fan but the other day he had a City shirt on his washing line (with 'comedy' number 69 on the back no less). I reckon there might be fans of lower league clubs who might tack on to the high and mighty of the Premier League as second teams. Disgusting behaviour nonetheless.

This is a great thread.

I can understand people find it strange to support Liverpool when you come from Norway or the Far East. I do too and this is totally different for me as I come from Brest, Brittany ....

As far as I remember I've always supported Liverpool. I was ten in 1981 when the reds won the European cup the third time in Paris. I chose my team and that was it. I wrote a piece about it in the fanzine some time ago.

I love going to the game, I went to every game in Brest for 7 years until I went to university, I kinda follow Brest but that's it, I guess when you're a kid you're a glory hunter and you pick the best team around right ? Then it depends on your character , I'm the a loyal and faithful one I guess .....

• Upvote 1

Under 8's are allowed to like another shirt and wear it (other than their obvious rivals)

Under 12's are allowed to like another shirt and wear it providing it's the team of another country AND they've visited that country.

Under 16's are allowed to wear their own team shirt whenever they like.

16 to 40 are allowed to wear their own team only whilst watching or attending the match in numbers greater than 10.

Over 40's should never wear a shirt in any circumstances unless they've kept themselves in top condition. If they HAVE managed to stay in great shape, then they won't be wearing a football shirt anyway as they'll be wanting to make the most of looking half decent whilst they still can.

• Downvote 1

Under 8's are allowed to like another shirt and wear it (other than their obvious rivals)

Under 12's are allowed to like another shirt and wear it providing it's the team of another country AND they've visited that country.

Under 16's are allowed to wear their own team shirt whenever they like.

16 to 40 are allowed to wear their own team only whilst watching or attending the match in numbers greater than 10.

Over 40's should never wear a shirt in any circumstances unless they've kept themselves in top condition. If they HAVE managed to stay in great shape, then they won't be wearing a football shirt anyway as they'll be wanting to make the most of looking half decent whilst they still can.

Fuck.....am I allowed while lounging around the house on here?

43856e5d5cf002f290c6466b1059abf5.jpg