You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Changing what team you support

Section_31

If you are from Liverpool then it can only be red or blue(if dropped on your head as a kid.) Seems to have been an epidemic of this on Merseyside over the years.

Ive always been a Red but had a mad Blue as an Uncle who would teach me Everton songs in the late 60s early 70s and I knew loads about Everton and their players of that era. But he couldnt turn me at all and my arl fella,and my mum,would never allow me to change even if i looked like folding.

I threatened to turn to the dark side back in 78,I think? when we lost that League Cup Final Replay to Forest and I got so mad I ripped posters off my wall and had a massive hissy fit for a few hours. I was properly gutted for some reason,but it wore off after a few hours of the following day.

Makes me laugh just thinking about how much the club meant to me for a lot of my life and how little I seem to care about it now.

My lads are,of course Reds and my daughter isnt into footy,although she came to one game with me at Anfield about 8 or 9 seasons ago.

Funny times.

Could never support Everton, it just felt wrong even at en early age, I didn't like the colour blue or how - even on a black and white TV - stuart McCall still had an annoyingly ginger head. I also hated Tony Cottee's face. There was a smugness about their players even then, the bond between player and fan was based purely on how they did against us, there was no other measure of success or popularity. I've also always hated Goodison, it does genuinely stink of piss. 

If you are from Liverpool then it can only be red or blue(if dropped on your head as a kid.) Seems to have been an epidemic of this on Merseyside over the years.

Ive always been a Red but had a mad Blue as an Uncle who would teach me Everton songs in the late 60s early 70s and I knew loads about Everton and their players of that era. But he couldnt turn me at all and my arl fella,and my mum,would never allow me to change even if i looked like folding.

I threatened to turn to the dark side back in 78,I think? when we lost that League Cup Final Replay to Forest and I got so mad I ripped posters off my wall and had a massive hissy fit for a few hours. I was properly gutted for some reason,but it wore off after a few hours of the following day.

Makes me laugh just thinking about how much the club meant to me for a lot of my life and how little I seem to care about it now.

My lads are,of course Reds and my daughter isnt into footy,although she came to one game with me at Anfield about 8 or 9 seasons ago.

Funny times.

When I was a kid in the 1980's, the support for Livrpool and Everton among children seemed fairly evenly split. As we moved towards the end of the 20th century and into the 21st, the balance tipped in our favour, which probably had a lot to do with Everton becoming shit. Kids, especially those who don't have a father figure, gravitate towards successful football teams. We may have been relatively shit in the league since Kenny Dalglish left the first time around and a pale imitation of our former selves, but we still picked up enough trophies along the way to keep local kids happy. What worries me, is that if we continue to stagnate, will Scouse kids start to look towards successful clubs from other parts of the country?

Loads of glory hunters over here in America, which is somewhat understandable as most fans are fairly new to the game.

With that said, one lad I know is an Everton fan, but he is becoming an Aston Villa fan because of Tim Sherwood. He reckons Sherwood is brilliant. Bizarre.

And to think they let these people have guns.

• Upvote 1

I was a Liverpool fan as a kid probably due to only ever hearing about us regularly picking trophies and league titles in the 80's. My old fella wouldn't take me to Anfield when the Premier League era kicked off because it was fucking expensive in his words which were true. Instead I was taken to Deepdale to watch Preston Nob End who were in Division 3 at the time (League 2 now). It was good fun and I ended up as a season ticket holder going home and away watching them. After a while though with being an apprentice and drifting in and out of jobs I had to stop going so I gave up my seasie and watched footy on telly. Any road, I got a decent paid job in 2003 which opened the door to affording tickets at Anfield. Been hooked ever since. So I guess you can say I'm a bad wool who supported Liverpool, started supporting PNE and then came back to my first love.

• Upvote 1

My uncle went to live down south when he was younger after joining the Navy, he wouldn't have gone anywhere near footy until the 90s when it becmae trendy. He just kept repeating stuff he'd heard on telly, about the Arsenal back four etc, but when you asked him a serious question, such as who was the best midfielder out of Vieira and Petit - and why - he'd pull a face like Ned Connors from Groundhog Day. 

hqdefault.jpg

It's Ned Ryerson. (Ba-ding!)  Connors is the surname of Phil.  Which was a bad name to use as the groundhog was also called Phil and you should never have two characters with the same name in a narrative.

Am I right?

Or am I right?

Or am I right? Am I right?

• Upvote 2

My family tried to convert me to being an Everton fan. They took me to watch the derby with them. I sat in with all of them wearing my LFC bobble hat. Rush scored 4. I wasn't chosen.

I was at that game.  A proud day.

I used to go to Goodison when Liverpool were away and the reserves weren't on (it was always haphazard).  My dad used to take me just to watch a game of footy.  We sometimes went over to watch the Saturday league over at the Dockers too.  Which I thought was ok, but I preferred the atmosphere of a ground.

I hated Bob Latchford and especially Andy King.  I just couldn't take to them at all.  My dad never tried to sway me as he didn't need to.  It just wasn't the same at Goodison.

I used to like the Toffee Lady though and trying to grab those mints.

Anfield always felt like home.  Goodison just somewhere you'd fill time.

• Upvote 1

I won't ever change who I support; it's just not possible to be honest. However, I can see the possibility of me reaching a level of disillusionment with top flight football at some point in the future that makes me stop going to Anfield. Were that to happen, I reckon I'd happily trundle along to Prenton Park every week just to get a fix of going to the match. That wouldn't make me a Tranmere supporter though as I couldn't be arsed about their results in a way that got anywhere near to how I feel about ours.

I had no choice but support Liverpool as all my family are reds. I could no more change who i support than stick a needle in my eye, fucking outragious behaviour. 

I keep an eye on other teams results, Hereford, Hull and Rangers but only from connections to areas etc. I couldnt wear scarves shirts, sing songs or the like.

I cannot understand either how dads allow their sons to follow a different team. I heard on the radio the other day how Danny Murphys lad supports chelsea.

Piss poor parenting

• Upvote 1

I won't ever change who I support; it's just not possible to be honest. However, I can see the possibility of me reaching a level of disillusionment with top flight football at some point in the future that makes me stop going to Anfield. Were that to happen, I reckon I'd happily trundle along to Prenton Park every week just to get a fix of going to the match. That wouldn't make me a Tranmere supporter though as I couldn't be arsed about their results in a way that got anywhere near to how I feel about ours.

I've tried it, Paul.

I fell out with Liverpool.  It was a gradual erosion, culminating in a strop when they got a MacDonalds in the Kop and I thought it was the last straw.

I'm afraid it won't happen.  You'd be at Prenton Park just worrying about the Reds.  Mine lasted a matter of weeks.

Sorry, mate - you're in it for life.

When I was a kid in the 1980's, the support for Livrpool and Everton among children seemed fairly evenly split. As we moved towards the end of the 20th century and into the 21st, the balance tipped in our favour, which probably had a lot to do with Everton becoming shit. Kids, especially those who don't have a father figure, gravitate towards successful football teams. We may have been relatively shit in the league since Kenny Dalglish left the first time around and a pale imitation of our former selves, but we still picked up enough trophies along the way to keep local kids happy. What worries me, is that if we continue to stagnate, will Scouse kids start to look towards successful clubs from other parts of the country?

Very good point about kids with no father figure drifting towards successful teams Mr Moanero. I have noticed this with kids here in Woolyback Land who really should only support the Reds(or bloos even) through parentage,who end up supporting the mancs. I have also heard of Blackburn,Newcastle and Arsenal during the PL era.

It just doesnt seem to be instilled into kids any more and I would say that the expense of match tickets and matchday costs have a major part to play.

My auld fella was a Kemlyn season ticket holder, he sat right next to my uncle, so it was always likely that i'd be a red as well. In fact my whole family are Reds, apart from one cousin who is a Man United fan (he grew up in Preston) but nobody talks to him at family get togethers.

I've never grasped any logical reason how anyone could change their team. Milan are my second team because of the late 80's side they had, but if they've played us (and of course they have!) there's never been any question of my support wavering for an instant. 

The one that always stuck in my mind was Zoe Ball going from us to the Mancs in the mid 90's. Her auld fella is a red as well, how he must have been so proud...

Anyone who describes themself as a 'lifelong' Liverpool fan is immediately dismissed as someone without a fucking clue in my book. The very fact you think this needs confirming means you miss the point completely. Anyone who changes teams is an utter irrelevance who has no concept of how football gets into your blood.

Lad in work supports Liverpool but loads of Evertonians in work wind him up constantly saying he was a blue when he was younger. His Dad was an Evertonian and took him to loads of games but he would still go to all Liverpool games home and away. He absolutely detests Everton so the blues know by saying he used to be an Evertonian it will annoy him and always get a reaction. They believe that because he knows so much about random Everton players who most of us have never heard of he has to have been an Everton season ticket holder.

A lad from Runcorn I used to work with supports Man Utd and is now head of one of their supporters clubs. He does go to every single one of their games but all of his family are Evertonians which makes me think he started supporting them in the mid nineties

All Evertonians can do this the other way, though.