You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Where are we all now with Brendan?

Paco

Where are we now with Brendan?  

128 members have voted

1. 1. should we sack Brendan now?

• yes, sack him now
    • Don't be ridiculous

It's weird because although the West Ham game was disgraceful and yet another gutless performance, we haven't actually started the season that bad but I can't really remember a more universal opinion of wanting the manager gone since Hodgeson.

I wouldn't say it's 90% but I'd say it's gone over the edge to the majority now, he was always on a hiding to nothing these first few games because unless we looked great ,which we did for one half against arsenal (bearing in mind they had a makeshift defence) then people were going to jump on him.

A decent beating at Utd and I can see it really coming out.

It's weird because although the West Ham game was disgraceful and yet another gutless performance, we haven't actually started the season that bad but I can't really remember a more universal opinion of wanting the manager gone since Hodgeson.

I wouldn't say it's 90% but I'd say it's gone over the edge to the majority now, he was always on a hiding to nothing these first few games because unless we looked great ,which we did for one half against arsenal (bearing in mind they had a makeshift defence) then people were going to jump on him.

A decent beating at Utd and I can see it really coming out.

I thought 60/40 at worst but 70/30 would have been alarming but didnt think the opinion had shifted so far. This is looking like biggest landslide since the government elections and as you say he has very little room for manoeuvre.

if he turns it around it ll be the best comeback since istanbul.

• Upvote 1

I think a lot of the reason for the majority wanting him gone, are the fact that there's two excellent possible replacements available. The problem comes when they're no longer available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the reason most people want him gone is because they're aware we have finite resources, each transfer window brings with it the prospect of more financial disasters. 

• Upvote 1

I thought 60/40 at worst but 70/30 would have been alarming but didnt think the opinion had shifted so far. This is looking like biggest landslide since the government elections and as you say he has very little room for manoeuvre.

if he turns it around it ll be the best comeback since istanbul.

There is a chance this pool does not reflect reality.

When does this become " if we turn it around"....?

There is a chance this pool does not reflect reality.

When does this become " if we turn it around"....?

The reality is he's still in the job and while the results are staggeringly in favour of getting rid of him until that happens there's a chance he can achieve what he needs to achieve to change opinions.

Don't get me wrong I wanted him gone at the end of the season, but I'm worrying about klopp and ancelloti being snapped up, which leaves us with FSG's smart arse recruitment again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell that FSG have, or would, consider either of those two.

We're locked into trying to be smarter than other clubs, as accepting that proven managers and total outlay are the be-all-and-end-all of modern success would mean accepting that we're fifth. Sadly, in trying to buck against that, we're plummeting even lower.

I could see them going for someone like Klinsmann.

My choices to replace Rodgers:

1. Klopp

Based on nothing but a romantic notion of what his Dortmund side used to be like, but I also like the fella, he's mad and he's passionate, it goes a long way.

2. Ancelotti

He loses points due to his personality, but he's got real pedigree.

3. Villas Boas

He never got a proper crack at Spurs, but then again I'm not sure if it came too soon. Doesn't seem like a forceful personality. Bear in mind that he left Spurs with a 55% win record, and had won all 6 Europa League games that season.

4. Joachim Low

He must fancy a change of scenery soon. He would bring a standard to the club that has been lacking, and the training could be revamped with his synth-pop mates making athletes out of footballers.

5. Jorge Sampaoli

Led Chile to the promised land, he looks hard as well, not sure if he speaks English.

I can see fans verbally turning on Brendan if we lose at United. And to be honest, even though they are completely pants, I STILL see them giving us a hiding. No Coutinho is a major morale blow, and Henderson is probably going to miss the game too. And we were playing like shit even when those 2 were available. Not looking good for our biggest game of the season.

I can see fans verbally turning on Brendan if we lose at United. And to be honest, even though they are completely pants, I STILL see them giving us a hiding. No Coutinho is a major morale blow, and Henderson is probably going to miss the game too. And we were playing like shit even when those 2 were available. Not looking good for our biggest game of the season.

They will be smelling blood, too. I doubt very much Rodgers will do anything other than sit everyone back and pray for 0-0.

I just can't see any coherence any more. 

I made the case for bringing in a young manager, for laying down a template for a style of play, and I was happy to stick with him even when results were poor in that first season, provided there was a system being put into place. Now, there isn't. His greatest asset was his adaptability, but he's changed in a chameleonic fashion once too often and now he's completely adrift, unaware of his own style or how to right things.

His possession football was flagging, so he changed, but having come across a flair for empowering attacking players he's bizarrely doubled down on number 10s and restricted the playing time of strikers. It's akin to watching some kid trying to find a cheat formation in a football game ("What if I play Obafemi Martins as a goalkeeper?").

Our play has been poor for some time, and the use of the players brought in and the committee's role was only a partially true distraction from the root cause f the manager. Each sign of something better is latched onto like it's embryonic proof of our potential being realised - one half at Arsenal, a brave effort against Madrid - but in reality it's just a good performance here and there; no different to what Spurs, Southampton or even Palace achieve. 

Treating Lucas like a ginger stepchild, then stroking his face in the press; failing to sign a DM, then suddenly realising that they have a use; signing multiple strikers, then failing to play two at a time; picking Lovren over Sakho; it's becoming a litany of weird decisions.

He's a product of what we needed though. With no strong leaderships in the upper echelons of the club, we needed a headstrong manager, who'd back himself no matter what. So we can hardly complain when we get someone who tips over the edge of confidence and struggles to assess his own failings.

My fear before the season began was that we'd isolate Benteke, confuse decent players by continually shifting formations and playing them out of position, and nothing I've seen thus far has assuaged those fears. If we stick with him, we'll probably have a decent enough run at some point, but when the wheels come off he has no way to counter the downward momentum, and that's the sign of a manager out of his depth.

I have even less faith in the owners to find a better replacement though.

He's completely clueless and makes it up as he goes along. At some point in the season he'll eventually, by the law of averages, come up with something that works and it'll work until it gets figured out and then it's back to the drawing board again because he's not capable of evolving and tweaking. He hasn't got a clue what to do once he gave up on the possession game, so it's a constant game of trial and error. "he's still learning" doesn't cut it anymore though and never did for me because he's not managing some no mark club.

He tried all out attack but I think the Chelsea/Palace games at the end of that season has killed his confidence as a coach with the way those turned out. since then he's tried, and failed, to tighten up at the back and without Suarez we've been blunt in attack. 

All he used to go on about was possession football and moved away from it because he couldn't implement it effectively, just like he couldn't at Reading when they binned him off. Martinez had already implemented Swansea's possession game and every manager has done well there since.

• Upvote 1

I don't think the result will magnify any pressure, as we're getting used to losing that type of game, but a bad performance certainly will. If we just fail to turn up then it could get ugly.

If anything, I'm less worried by away games, as I think we've looked better away from home for some time. There's less pressure and fewer opportunities for sides to hit us with pace.

To be fair I don't think the owners will shirk away from sacking him, even if they do look like idiots again, because they did it with Comolli after one of our other 'clever' schemes. It'll probably be an entirely new system with entirely new staff next season. The chronic waste seems to have gone through the roof the more they fuck around.

The whole back room shuffle thing was a fucking embarrassment for both club and manager whoever was responsible for it because it showed them both in a bad light.

• Upvote 1