You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

29th August 2015 - Home against West Ham

WhiskeyJar

Sorry to quote myself and repeat this again but the more I think about this the more I cannot get my head around it.

He has hawked Lucas around and showed not a sign of playing that system.

Now 4 games in at home to West Ham he plays one isolated striker and a DM. Lucas.

When the fuck did it occur to him that he might play with a DM. Surely if he did he would have bought a decent one in the window as if you play a DM it is a crucial position.

It strikes me that he is making it up on the hoof. If he stumbles across something that miraculously works he will stick with it until a better tactician hands him his arse.

Then he drops people who have had a bad game in a game in which he has been out thought.

Watch there will be a casualty from this. it may be one of the young fullbacks, Lucas again or even poor Emry Can who I thought was out performing most today before being subbed.

He has no philosophy and this is the first time I've slagged him

He does seem confused to me - even when Ings came on, he played behind Benteke not up beside - what was the point in the sub? Arsenal was done, why play a DM like Lucas at home against this team? 2 goals in 4 games FFS.

Felt bad for Benteke must have been lonely....

There should be just a handful of certainties in life, death, taxes, and LFC home victories against West Ham. It is the natural order of things. The southern softies turn up, and get turned over. If the ICF dared turn up in Stanley Park they got sorted quicker than a first class letter at Copperas Hill.

The Kop knows. As I arrived, there was a swaggering confidence that we should win, but that with Brendan we might not.

I am no Brendanista, but I certainly would not judge him on a game, or a handful of games. But last season, as the campaign drew to a close, few on the Kop would have joined a “ keep Brendan “ protest. The argument against him was not that he had not won quite a lot of games ( and with a spend pushing £300m so he should now), but that he didn’t have a winning mentality. Nice cup campaign- until capitulation against Villa. Nice title tilt, until the Palace madness, etc. Great start to the 15/16 season (helped by some favourable refereeing decisions). At that point you either say ,“We have had the rub of the green lads, now you show me how good you are”, or you believe that you are the 21st century incarnation of Shanks and don’t need to prepare. Boom.

Keeping Brendan was not just about keeping him, it was about not having the likes of Klopp. As Sgt Wilson used to say “Is that wise, sir?” Brendan was happy to ditch Susan for Charlotte when something better turned up, I know he was amazed that the Board didn’t think the same last summer.

We have to stick with Brendan after giving him a fortune (again) to spend. Yet after three seasons the Kop deserved better than what we got today, as was the case at Stoke etc.

For me, I am tiring of this. Worst result for half a century against West Ham at home. Stoke, worst result ever in league for half a century. Abject embarrassing Euro exits for a club with one of the finest Euro pedigrees in Europe.

The last goal went in to a largely empty Anfield, as West ham fans savoured bubbles, and Reds lamented froth.

Coutinho’s sending off was harsh. But Rodgers’ has failed to instil discipline to his men and his absence at Old Trafford will be a huge miss The pairing of Lovren with anybody was equally harsh on the fans, and team. You would have thought that by now he would be as forgotten as a yellow pair of trousers bought on a drunken stag weekend, it made sense at the time but not in the cold night of day. £20m? You’re having a laugh, Brendan’s valuation of Lovren makes Stones look a bargain across the road at £40m.

But Brendan will survive this. Losing to Man U is now no deal breaker, and the following three games against Bordeaux, Norwich and Carlisle are as soft as it gets. Expect more routine wins, and more heartbreak when it counts. Benteke being played on his own up front against West Ham was absurd.

• Upvote 12

There should be just a handful of certainties in life, death, taxes, and LFC home victories against West Ham. It is the natural order of things. The southern softies turn up, and get turned over. If the ICF dared turn up in Stanley Park they got sorted quicker than a first class letter at Copperas Hill.

The Kop knows. As I arrived, there was a swaggering confidence that we should win, but that with Brendan we might not.

I am no Brendanista, but I certainly would not judge him on a game, or a handful of games. But last season, as the campaign drew to a close, few on the Kop would have joined a “ keep Brendan “ protest. The argument against him was not that he had not won quite a lot of games ( and with a spend pushing £300m so he should now), but that he didn’t have a winning mentality. Nice cup campaign- until capitulation against Villa. Nice title tilt, until the Palace madness, etc. Great start to the 15/16 season (helped by some favourable refereeing decisions). At that point you either say ,“We have had the rub of the green lads, now you show me how good you are”, or you believe that you are the 21st century incarnation of Shanks and don’t need to prepare. Boom.

Keeping Brendan was not just about keeping him, it was about not having the likes of Klopp. As Sgt Wilson used to say “Is that wise, sir?” Brendan was happy to ditch Susan for Charlotte when something better turned up, I know he was amazed that the Board didn’t think the same last summer.

We have to stick with Brendan after giving him a fortune (again) to spend. Yet after three seasons the Kop deserved better than what we got today, as was the case at Stoke etc.

For me, I am tiring of this. Worst result for half a century against West Ham at home. Stoke, worst result ever in league for half a century. Abject embarrassing Euro exits for a club with one of the finest Euro pedigrees in Europe.

The last goal went in to a largely empty Anfield, as West ham fans savoured bubbles, and Reds lamented froth.

Coutinho’s sending off was harsh. But Rodgers’ has failed to instil discipline to his men and his absence at Old Trafford will be a huge miss The pairing of Lovren with anybody was equally harsh on the fans, and team. You would have thought that by now he would be as forgotten as a yellow pair of trousers bought on a drunken stag weekend, it made sense at the time but not in the cold night of day. £20m? You’re having a laugh, Brendan’s valuation of Lovren makes Stones look a bargain across the road at £40m.

But Brendan will survive this. Losing to Man U is now no deal breaker, and the following three games against Bordeaux, Norwich and Carlisle are as soft as it gets. Expect more routine wins, and more heartbreak when it counts. Benteke being played on his own up front against West Ham was absurd.

If only we played with such a flourish. 

In full.

Some of us did, yes.

Some people will love the opportunity it has given to score points on here, no doubt but the bigger picture is pretty alarming. That was absolutely humiliating today. It was a "last season" performance. As soon as we went behind we saw capitulation, no balls, no ideas, no leadership, kneejerk formation change, shit talking after the game. I was cautiously optimistic about the season after the first three games but I feel like a complete mug now for even considering trusting this team.

I eagerly await JP's (sorry, Brendan's) take on today's events.

im blaming this on JP not on Rodgers. He clearly didn't tweet all the players good luck messages before this match because he was complacent and that frankly is not acceptable.
  • Upvote 1

Some people will love the opportunity it has given to score points on here, no doubt but the bigger picture is pretty alarming. That was absolutely humiliating today. It was a "last season" performance. As soon as we went behind we saw capitulation, no balls, no ideas, no leadership, kneejerk formation change, shit talking after the game. I was cautiously optimistic about the season after the first three games but I feel like a complete mug now for even considering trusting this team.

Completely agree mate, was just pissing about.  Everything we did after going behind smacked of flailing around in the water.

May well unravel quickly if he persists with one up front at Anfield, certainly with the fans.

Oh OK, so losing to the mancs doesnt really matter know because in the scheme of things, we should expect to win there? have some people forgotten the torres \ gerrard show there a few years back? And since when should any defeat by the mancs be shrugged off?

Sorry but even a win against Carlisle isnt gauranteed after todays debacle never mind norwich or bordeaux. Some people need their prose looking at.

It's what he's always done, the back end of his first season and the second was not death by football that he so hyped up. It was hitting teams on the break.

What you saw today was his original death by football in all its glory, 70% odd possession and twatted 3 nil.

This is exactly what infuriates me.

He has his system that he wants to play, what he sees in his head as the perfect football.  4-3-3, pressing, posession prized above all else and wearing the opposition down by denying them the ball and forcing them to chase the game.

Then you have a system he used for the best part of a season which was about using your creative players in midfield to hit attackers with early balls, two strikers, high workrate, shock and awe stuff.

We had a season using the second system and finished second.

Then we tried to revert to the first system, despite it having been binned off and when that was shite again, switched to a third system that was even fucking worse after the short period it took for opponents to suss it out.  We had a shit season and ended it getting twatted by Stoke.

So in the summer he hangs onto his job despite people arround him getting binned off.  He knows he's in the last chance saloon, he even said himself he had concerns that he would get sacked last season.  We sign some good players, including two pacy strikers, and get rid of the slow one and the idiot from last season.

How the fuck does anybody look at that and think the right thing to do is go back to plan one.

If he's playing one up top at home to West Ham, it's here for the season.

• Upvote 2

Lovren plays like someone who thinks he's a brilliant matador with a celebrated, swashbuckling style, despite having puncture wounds all over his body and a permanent hoof print in his nose.

People always say footballers play better with confidence. In my opinion over-confidence is a much bigger issue than lack of confidence. Lovren is Exhibit A.