You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Metal Gear 5: Phantom Pain

skend04

Sounds like the cut-scenes/story are kept to a minimum which comes as a massive surprise. Can't say I'm too bothered though, 4 was utter trash and I honestly can't remember a minute of it because it was such a chore to watch and play. I probably wouldn't have bothered if this was more of the same, but it sounds worthy of a purchase at some point.

I like to consider myself a fan of the series but when I actually think about it, 2 and 4 were complete garbage for me and while 3 was good, the first on PS1 is the only true great game in the series (not counting the gameboy colour one)

Sounds like the cut-scenes/story are kept to a minimum which comes as a massive surprise. Can't say I'm too bothered though, 4 was utter trash and I honestly can't remember a minute of it because it was such a chore to watch and play. I probably wouldn't have bothered if this was more of the same, but it sounds worthy of a purchase at some point.

I like to consider myself a fan of the series but when I actually think about it, 2 and 4 were complete garbage for me and while 3 was good, the first on PS1 is the only true great game in the series (not counting the gameboy colour one)

Game 2 is one of the best games ever. rating almost 9.5+ out of 10 from everyone. 

I'm pretty confident that it will be very good. I just hope the storyline is less bonkers than MGS4. To play the game was fine but I nearly threw my controller at the wall over the ending.

This reminds me, I must play MGS:GZ and get a few playthroughs done to familiarise myself with the controls.

Is that true about the reviews? A lot of them have said they played the game for 30+ hours. Cant imagine they'll have done that at an event.

Game 2 is one of the best games ever. rating almost 9.5+ out of 10 from everyone. 

4 has the exact same critical acclaim and anyone that tells me that was a great game is talking booty. Metal Gear is one of them games that just seems to get universal praise despite its shortcomings and convoluted story.

I was 14 when MGS2 came out and my dick was harder than a rock in anticipation but it ended up the biggest gaming disappointment ever. I've heard people say it's a post-modern masterpiece and all this nonsense, but what it boils down to is you spending 80% of the game playing as that joker Raiden scratching your head at the baffling plot. The worst thing was though I remember having the bit where you play as Snake coming on a demo disc with my PS2. If you'd told me there and then when I got MGS 2 I would have already played through all of Snake's portion of the game I would have laughed and cried.

I was actually checking some forums in regards to this game and they got talking about 2 and 4 and people were actually saying 'The story is supposed to be bad!' and 'It's too deep for you' then when they were made aware of V having little to no cut-scenes the very same people were claiming Kojima is the master and all this bollocks.

Is that true about the reviews? A lot of them have said they played the game for 30+ hours. Cant imagine they'll have done that at an event.

4 has the exact same critical acclaim and anyone that tells me that was a great game is talking booty. Metal Gear is one of them games that just seems to get universal praise despite its shortcomings and convoluted story.

I was 14 when MGS2 came out and my dick was harder than a rock in anticipation but it ended up the biggest gaming disappointment ever. I've heard people say it's a post-modern masterpiece and all this nonsense, but what it boils down to is you spending 80% of the game playing as that joker Raiden scratching your head at the baffling plot. The worst thing was though I remember having the bit where you play as Snake coming on a demo disc with my PS2. If you'd told me there and then when I got MGS 2 I would have already played through all of Snake's portion of the game I would have laughed and cried.

I was actually checking some forums in regards to this game and they got talking about 2 and 4 and people were actually saying 'The story is supposed to be bad!' and 'It's too deep for you' then when they were made aware of V having little to no cut-scenes the very same people were claiming Kojima is the master and all this bollocks.

Yes, it's true about the reviews.

Even if it's a full play through, that kind of scenario is only going to lead to skewed reviews. Can't blame Konami really, they're in a tight spot and need MGS to bank huge amounts, so they'll look to safeguard themselves as best they can.

It might end up like Shadows of Mordor, where the publishers got unnecessarily panicked at the thought of poor reviews and inserted draconian clauses, only for the game to actually be pretty good anyway.

It highlights why there should be a distance between writers and PR / publishers though. A friend went to a preview event for a game where there was drink on tap which was blatant. Shockingly most of the previews were good and got nice coverage, and the game was fairly poor.