You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Triathlon Thread

njackets

Which Iron man you going to do? 6am starts to train are nasty, especially with an aching body. I do 12 hour shifts and I'm on my feet all day it's just not possible to get much training in at all on a work day.

I'm getting more and more into Tri, will prob have a crack at an Olympic distance comp next year.

I done a pre Barca Ironman 2 weeks ago consisting of a 3k swim, 130k on bike and a10 k run. I ain't doing Barca but lads I train with are. Planning Challange Galway which is a full Ironman distance next June but focusing on Dublin marathon in 5 weeks.

Training does take up a lot of time but once you get started, it's very addictive.

• Upvote 1

Went to Australia for a year in 2008. Met up with a friend of a friend in Coral Bay and he took me a mile out in his boat for the best snorkeling. I didnt tell him I couldnt swim and almost killed the both of us. Also went to the Great Barrier Reef and had to just manoeuvre myself around the ropes laid out around section of reef. Then went to Brazil for honeymoon and took a boat trip off the coast of Buzios and everyone was leaping into the beautiful sea. I vowed then to learn how to swim.

Did my first swimming pool triathlon less than a year later and have done 3 open water (lake) sprint triathlons. Best time 1.30 worst 1.44. Trained like crazy for first one hardly trained for worst one.

I just like to keep fit at this stage and interestingly, to me anyway, I ve always held boxers as the fittest sportsmen and I ve done some boxing training in the past but heard carl froch say when he wasn't training for a fight, he trains like a triathlete so I have the tools to be as fit as a boxer.

Boxing and UFC are defo the fittest with cardio morning training and strength in the evening. However Tri is not far behind. Wth the 3 disciplines you are covering all aspects of fitness. Has me bunched for sure. Today for example was only a morning session but that consisted of a 20k run as I've a marathon coming up in 5 weeks.

Boxing and UFC are defo the fittest with cardio morning training and strength in the evening. However Tri is not far behind. Wth the 3 disciplines you are covering all aspects of fitness. Has me bunched for sure. Today for example was only a morning session but that consisted of a 20k run as I've a marathon coming up in 5 weeks.

Dublin marathon? Edit: just scrolled up and see it is. I ve done one marathon and it was dublin 2006. So horrendous I ve never done another.

I did boxing in the Army and it's one of the hardest things I've done, sweat run at 06.00 in the morning sprint work before lunch, pad work or circuit after lunch with sparing in the night. I'm not sure I'd class Boxers as the fittest sportsmen though, just different type of fitness. Triathletes and Boxers/MMA obviously have to have to be all rounders CV/Muscular endurance upper/lower body so I'd say they were both in with a shout.

I'd bet my house on Ali Brownlee being fitter than any boxer out of season than any boxer when he's not in training for a fight though.

• 2 months later...

Only just managed to catch up with Kona...

Good showing from British women ..Joyce 2nd, Cheetham 6th and Gossage 10th. Ryf coming 1st but debatable she'd have won if Carfrea hadn't have had drama crashing.

Frodeno as expected he eventualy would adds himself to Triathlon greats list, first ever to win Olympic gold medal at the shorter distance and now the long Ironman distance.

• 2 months later...

World Series Triathlon back tomorrow!!! (Abu Dhabi)

Whilst we was away...

Daniela Ryf prety much established herself as the womens No.1 Ironman distance with another long distance win so if Carfrea can stay injury free thats going to be an interesting clash this year.

Frodeno is talking about breaking records this year.

Preview for tomorrow which you can watch live via BBC red button (Yes isn't it great being able to watch a sport you like live for free!) Mens 09-11:20, Womens 12-14:20.

GB's Rio contenders kick off triathlon season in Abu Dhabi - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/triathlon/35721541

None of the big 3 competing in the mens race, looks like it'll be a straight shoot out between Mola and Murray.

Womens race is much more interesting with Zaferes and True (USA) usualy 2nd and 3rd last season and two of the Brit girls Jenkins and Stimpson.

Nobody's going to take WST too serious this year with it being an Olympic year with everyone trying to peak there fitness right for Rio. Just hoping the two Brownlee's can stay injury free in the lead up, Ali needs to wrap himself in cotton wool the bad sick note!

1st and 3rd from Jodie Stimpson and Helen Jenkins who Skybet seen fit to put odds of 12/1 on so had an EW bet on both thank you very much for paying for my night out on Thursday!

Its gutting one of these girls is going to miss out on an Olympic place this year, brilliant effort from both as it was quite a strong Womens field. I think we're looking the strongest nation going into the Olympics by far!

Mans race as predicted a Mola/Murray 1st and 2nd.

• 1 month later...

Brownlees are back for Gold Coast this Saturday, Mola also competing who's won the last two so be interesting to see where both are, Ali usualy comes back from a long injury lay off and smashes everyone to pieces.

Haven't had a chance to go through the womens line up yet.

Im making a killing on Skybet! Who clearly know fuck all about womens Triathlon, they had Helen Jenkins who was always going to have the race of her life to qualify for Rio at very generous odds.

She came 1st beating Jorgenson who's looked prety much unbeatable for two years by about 30 secs! Unbeleivable effort. Stimpson was 13th. Thats 1 race each Stimpson and Jenkins have won, Jenkins effort to beat Jorgenson was superhuman! But I reckon they should give them a winner takes all rubber race for S.Africa for that final 3rd Olympic place that seems fair enough to me.

Catch up with the mens race tommorow.

So have the big 3 become the big 4?? Ali Brownlee clearly wasn't at full fitness and I worry whether he'll get back there at all for Rio.

But it seems Mola beat Jonny hands down, maybe it was the heat, maybe Mola's peaked his fitness too early? Time will tell.

3/1 behind both Brownlee's for the win Mola, my head said they were generous odds with the form he's in, but couldn't find it in me to go against Jonny and Ali.

Cape Town 24th April next....Gomez will be back...

• 2 weeks later...

Non Stanford and Vicky Holland back for the womens race tommorow for Cape Town, there's a decent preview by the BBC in this link with two video's of Non and Vicky.

Non Stanford & Vicky Holland: Friends, housemates, rivals for Olympic gold - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/triathlon/36029372

Helen Jenkins sits out and has been selected for the Olympics over Jodie Stimpson (who I think will be fuming/racing tommorow and will have something to prove/little EW bet for me I think 8/1 the bookies have got this one wrong again!) (Sarah True at 28/1 is also worth a few quid EW)

No Ali or Gomez tommorow so a straight shoot out between Mola and Jonny.

British 1/2 with Non Stanford 1st and Jodie Stimpson 2nd (Yes the bookies got it wrong again! Thank you Skybet!) Thats three British wins in all three races so far this season for the women.

Its shit that one of these women have to miss out (Jodie) on a Olympic place, they're prob 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th best in the world. Stimpson who's missing out has came 1st and 2nd in three races.

Mens race coming up at 15:30.

Alarza has Jonny off on the last mile to win by 5secs , Alarza was racing for an Olympic place so there was plenty of motivation for him.

I'm getting a bit worried about both Brownlee's, no Ali for this race with an infection and Alarza wouldn't have got near Jonny last year. Jonny just said he almost sacked the race off due to feeling sick after the heat exhaustian the last two weeks, hopfuly worried about nothing.

• 3 weeks later...

Highlights of Yokohama on BBC2 at 14:00, I fucked up the dates and thought this race was today so I already know the results as came across them yesterday. Was about to post this preview yesterday when I found out...

So it seems hardly anyone is bothering with Japan, no Brownlee's, STILL no Gomez! All the Brit girls have swerved it. Very interesting Mola has gone out for this, he's raced every race so far and potentialy peaked far too early with Rio a few months away? Also very interesting Gomez is still yet to race, seen video's of him training recently and seems fit enough.

The Spanish are keeping Alarza dangling on Olympic qualification so he's prob going to go out and have a boss race again, see what odds they are offering on him later.

Jorgenson back for the women, she will be pissed off she was beat for the 1st time in over a year or whatever it was in her last race, and i'd expect her to win by about a minute to prove a point especialy with none of the Brit girls racing.

Jorgenson and Mola looking good Alarza and Zaffries not so!

Leeds next, I tried and failed getting Grandstand tickets but had a Hotel booked months ago. So will combine this with a night on the piss in Leeds which i've never done.

There's a good half hour documentary on BBC Iplayer on the Brownlee's.

• 3 weeks later...

Helen Jenkins is not racing Leeds, and hinted she might not race at all till the Olympics. You have to wonder whether or not she's injured, she's a bad sick note and I wonder whether the Brit selectors have got it wrong picking her over Stimpson.