You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sakho exclusion difficult to understand (ESPN article)

tlw content

I was a fan of Sakho before we signed him and it's been frustrating to watch him wasted. That Rodgers views Toure, Lovren and Ashley fucking Williams ahead of him is just more proof he has no eye for players. 

I get the bit about his job being on the line and his wanting to do things his way, I just hope FSG hold him accountable this time if it all doesn't work out. 

Anything less than CL qualification should see him off as he's no further excuses about committees etc. 

If Rodgers doesn't want Sakho then move him on, I'm all for giving Rodgers free reign to do as he sees fit this year, so long as this time he's held accountable at the end. 

• Upvote 1

I was a fan of Sakho before we signed him and it's been frustrating to watch him wasted. That Rodgers views Toure, Lovren and Ashley fucking Williams ahead of him is just more proof he has no eye for players.

I get the bit about his job being on the line and his wanting to do things his way, I just hope FSG hold him accountable this time if it all doesn't work out.

Anything less than CL qualification should see him off as he's no further excuses about committees etc.

If Rodgers doesn't want Sakho then move him on, I'm all for giving Rodgers free reign to do as he sees fit this year, so long as this time he's held accountable at the end.

Ashley Williams?

When did we sign him, then?

Bringing Williams into it makes you come across as a right quim.

I don't get your rationale here.

Simple really, Sakho's better than Lovren. Also, the season after City wanted Skrtel, he was unfavoured and looked ready to leave. Ditto for Agger. Now Sakho. Yet, we spent £20m on Lovren. Underrating good players and overrating bad ones; a process that started with the CBs when blame was continually apportioned to individual errors rather than the coaching.

Out of interest TK, are there any of our CBs - played in their natural position - who you think have looked better under Rodgers than under other managers?

Toure is a glorified coach here and I'm not disrespecting him as I like him as a person and as a player, he knew that himself and looked like he was off last season, he stayed for family reasons.

It doesn't look like Illori is rated and I don't see Gomez getting thrown in at the deep end, he didn't even play cb at championship level regularly. Id be absolutely amazed if BR was prepared to go in to the season with Lovren and Skrtel as our only senior cbs, even if they were great which is not the case an injury to one of them would leave us fucked.

If Sakho was moaning and wanted to go the club probably wouldn't stand in his way but I don't believe they would be looking to sell without a replacement lined up.

I think we may have to agree to disagree on this one JP.

I don't see Toure as  a coach, he's just the oldest CB who'll be used as and when he's needed.

We threw Gomez into a debut against Jon Walters in a new position, so CB in an injury crisis is not out of the question.

I just think we're overstocked in a few areas, struggling to accommodate everyone, and the players the manager doesn't rate will be the first towards the door. If they've got long contracts, then we'll accept loans, but short contracts will need to be sales or extensions if there's any chance of them having value in future windows.

It all comes down to the play we are going to play now, where our centre halves will need a visa to cross midfield. Safety first for Rodgers, keep the job first. Sakho is, to a certain extent, a ball playing defender, who actually may get forward a bit.

Rodgers doesn't want him now since he has no intention of playing the ball out, thus Benteke. Rodgers insistence on playing it out against pressure cost us a lot of points last season.

Just to confirm, is the spoofing terrorist cunt now out of order when he's a bluffer not understanding how to keep the ball out of our own net AND if he makes us harder to score against, because that'll just be due to calculated self-preservation?

I'd swap him for Klopp in a heartbeat, but sometimes it's almost like there are those who just dislike him so much that whatever he does would be out of line.

• Upvote 3

What the fuck are you on about? It's clear from the first 2 games, both of which we were lucky to win, that Rodgers is not taking any chances this season. I can't see how anyone can argue with that, or the fact that neither Lovren nor Skrtel are likely to play anywhere up the pitch.

I don't give a fuck about Rodgers. His job is on the line because it should be. If he gets some silver and 4th place playing like Wimbledon, that's fine. If he doesn't, he's out the door.

It all comes down to the play we are going to play now, where our centre halves will need a visa to cross midfield. Safety first for Rodgers, keep the job first. Sakho is, to a certain extent, a ball playing defender, who actually may get forward a bit.

Rodgers doesn't want him now since he has no intention of playing the ball out, thus Benteke. Rodgers insistence on playing it out against pressure cost us a lot of points last season.

You literally couldn't make this stuff up. You're going to be absolutely buzzing when we get beat by someone. This place would actually be more amusing if we went on a 10 game winning spree though. I can't actually picture what sort of bullshit cranks like you will come up with.

• Upvote 3

What the fuck are you on about? It's clear from the first 2 games, both of which we were lucky to win, that Rodgers is not taking any chances this season. I can't see how anyone can argue with that, or the fact that neither Lovren nor Skrtel are likely to play anywhere up the pitch.

I don't give a fuck about Rodgers. His job is on the line because it should be. If he gets some silver and 4th place playing like Wimbledon, that's fine. If he doesn't, he's out the door.

He's playing a fucking right footed centre half at left back you fucking beaut. He's also putting faith in Lovren despite everyone else on the planet thinking its a bad idea. Rodgers takes chances all the fucking time. Every single season we start slow and he's seen that and has picked the side accordingly. We've won 2 games and the 2 biggest risks he's took have worked out quite well. Regardless of the shit people want to give Lovren he's actually done perfectly fine. We've also continued to play out the back when w can and played it long when necessary. Whinging cunts like yourself are too obsessed with picking faults than seeing what's actually going on in front of your eyes. You're talking as though Sakho is fucking Alan Hansen or something. Other than the odd 60 yard pass across the field how many times have you seen sakho bringing the ball out of defence? He keeps it simple. The difference between him and Lovren is pretty much nil in that regard.

• Upvote 2

He's playing a fucking right footed centre half at left back you fucking beaut. He's also putting faith in Lovren despite everyone else on the planet thinking its a bad idea. Rodgers takes chances all the fucking time. Every single season we start slow and he's seen that and has picked the side accordingly. We've won 2 games and the 2 biggest risks he's took have worked out quite well. Regardless of the shit people want to give Lovren he's actually done perfectly fine. We've also continued to play out the back when w can and played it long when necessary. Whinging cunts like yourself are too obsessed with picking faults than seeing what's actually going on in front of your eyes. You're talking as though Sakho is fucking Alan Hansen or something. Other than the odd 60 yard pass across the field how many times have you seen sakho bringing the ball out of defence? He keeps it simple. The difference between him and Lovren is pretty much nil in that regard.

Spot on mate about everything except the bit about us always having a slow start, we won 6 games in a row at the start of the season we finished second.

Simple really, Sakho's better than Lovren. Also, the season after City wanted Skrtel, he was unfavoured and looked ready to leave. Ditto for Agger. Now Sakho. Yet, we spent £20m on Lovren. Underrating good players and overrating bad ones; a process that started with the CBs when blame was continually apportioned to individual errors rather than the coaching.

Out of interest TK, are there any of our CBs - played in their natural position - who you think have looked better under Rodgers than under other managers?

It's a matter of opinion as to whether Sakho is better than Lovren, particularly when we're not playing three at the back.  Assuming you're right and Sakho is unquestionably better than Lovren, I don't see how you go from that to the club as a whole having a problem rating centre backs.   In resecpt of Agger, he admitted himself that he was finding it hard to cope with the physical demands of the Premier League.

With your second question you're not really comparing like with like.  Under Benitez we were typically more compact (depending on the context of the game).  In my view, under Rodgers our centre backs have performed no worse or better than under Kenny and maybe even the short-lived Hodgson regime (shudder).  With Rodgers we've had a far more attacking approach leaving the defence as a whole more exposed.  Despite that, I thought Skrtel put in some of his best displays as a Red during season 2013/14.  I thought he was top notch and not just because of his goals.

• Upvote 1

He's playing a fucking right footed centre half at left back you fucking beaut. He's also putting faith in Lovren despite everyone else on the planet thinking its a bad idea. Rodgers takes chances all the fucking time. Every single season we start slow and he's seen that and has picked the side accordingly. We've won 2 games and the 2 biggest risks he's took have worked out quite well. Regardless of the shit people want to give Lovren he's actually done perfectly fine. We've also continued to play out the back when w can and played it long when necessary. Whinging cunts like yourself are too obsessed with picking faults than seeing what's actually going on in front of your eyes. You're talking as though Sakho is fucking Alan Hansen or something. Other than the odd 60 yard pass across the field how many times have you seen sakho bringing the ball out of defence? He keeps it simple. The difference between him and Lovren is pretty much four-nil in that regard.

Agreed.

• Upvote 1

It's a matter of opinion as to whether Sakho is better than Lovren, particularly when we're not playing three at the back.  Assuming you're right and Sakho is unquestionably better than Lovren, I don't see how you go from that to the club as a whole having a problem rating centre backs.   In resecpt of Agger, he admitted himself that he was finding it hard to cope with the physical demands of the Premier League.

With your second question you're not really comparing like with like.  Under Benitez we were typically more compact (depending on the context of the game).  In my view, under Rodgers our centre backs have performed no worse or better than under Kenny and maybe even the short-lived Hodgson regime (shudder).  With Rodgers we've had a far more attacking approach leaving the defence as a whole more exposed.  Despite that, I thought Skrtel put in some of his best displays as a Red during season 2013/14.  I thought he was top notch and not just because of his goals.

I wasn't talking solely of the CBs already at the club, but including Sakho and Lovren in there as well in comparison to their time under other managers. Regarding the club comment, I was alluding to the manager and the committee, obviously.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree though, as I think our CBs - Skrtel included - barring one purple patch, have consistently looked shakier under Rodgers. I initially put it down to playing a more attacking style too, but I'm no longer convinced that's the root of it.

Playing three at the back gave me hope that as Rodgers grows it's an issue he'll get to grips with. Assuming the last couple of results from last season were a horrific anomaly, then this next run of games - and the clean sheets we've kept in these first couple of games - should go a long way to showing whether that's still the case. Fingers crossed we keep Sakho and manage to continue to see Lovren improve.