You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ketosis

I had a bollox of a weekend just gone. Damn you rugby!

Friday night had a load of icecream, chocolate, and Pringles.

Woke up Saturday and wasn't up anything! Woohoo I thought, so had a normal day and Saturday night I had chips, bacon fritters, icecream, and chocolate!

Sunday morning was up just less than 2 lbs. Had another normal day, and Sunday night had more icecream, chocolate, and Pringles!

Got up Monday morning, and had maintained the less than 2lb gain! Couldn't have asked for more given what I'd eaten.

As of this morning, I'm down at 181.4lbs. So that's just scraping under 13 stone, which is the first time I've been that low since my late teens/early twenties (I'm 39 now). Doesn't seem that long ago that my first big milestone of 190lbs was my Everest. My new Everest of 180lbs is well in my sights, and I'm hoping I'll pass that by carb nite on Sunday.

The weightloss is properly noticeable now, and I'm wondering what would be a good overall goal. Once I get below the 180 mark, the weightloss will (I assume) start to slow down, so maybe my goals should be in 5lb decrements? My get down to 170bs overall? Anybody know what sort of body fat percentage I'd be at if I got down to that? My starting point was at 20.1% BF @ 200lbs a couple of months ago.

Had my first cheat day on Sunday (so that was two and a half weeks in): large meat feast from Dominos, four of their warm chocolate cookies and a large iced mocha from McDonalds; worked out at 3100 calories and 330g of carbs. Felt fucking terrible later on in the night and had the worst farts as I've ever had, but forced myself to go for a run at half-twelve at night and knocked nearly a fifth off my best time for a 5k. Woke up the next morning to find no weight gain. Glad I did the carb blowout, though, because it made me feel that bad afterwards that I don't really want to do it again. I'll have little treats here and there, like I had a large mixed kebab from Botans on Tuesday (minus the bread), and just continue doing keto.

It's been a little over three weeks and I'm down a full stone. That's been having 1000-1600 calories a day (again, eating when I'm hungry, not starving myself or anything), below 30g of carbs and keeping the fat/protein ratio at around 60/35. Feel like this is more sustainable long-term than getting the fats up at around 75%, but then whilst I'm made up with the progress, the rate I'm losing weight is gonna leave with with a foreskin around my belly if I keep going for six months. Gone from putting weight on to losing it too quick, fucking ridiculous. Gonna get the calories up to at least 1600 a day as I've been going for a 5k run every night for the past fortnight as well as doing a decent session of weights at home. Gonna start trying all these desert recipes that are online as I'm eating loads as it is so if adding something sweet to my daily allowance gets my calories to a more sustainable level then it's very much a win/win.

Going to Vegas in March so all my targets (weight loss/muscle gain) are set for six months from now. Signing up for that Santa 5k thing in town on December, and want to be able to run a 10k before I go away, with the end goal being a half-marathon this time next year and a marathon hopefully in the start of 2017.

• Upvote 1

Great stuff Woo.

A stone in 3 weeks is mighty, especially when you're not starving yourself.

It's very hard to get your fats up over 70%, which is why we originally gave you the 60/30/10 ratio. It's a lot more manageable. The only way I can regularly get over 70% is to make fat bombs....and I'm too cunting lazy! 2 a day and you're laughing though.

You can feel like shit after the carb nite. It's kinda like having a hangover.

Great stuff Woo.

A stone in 3 weeks is mighty, especially when you're not starving yourself.

It's very hard to get your fats up over 70%, which is why we originally gave you the 60/30/10 ratio. It's a lot more manageable. The only way I can regularly get over 70% is to make fat bombs....and I'm too cunting lazy! 2 a day and you're laughing though.

You can feel like shit after the carb nite. It's kinda like having a hangover.

Cheers lads. Yeah, I suppose having a massive fucking pizza and all the other stuff is like not drinking for a few weeks then necking a bottle of whiskey. I'll probably just have one night a week where I have rice or something with my main and a cake afterwards rather than binging like I did, will just see how I go. I've got the idea of carbs completely out of my head now but a jolt to your metabolism every once in a while will probably do it good.

What's a fat bomb? Like bacon wrapped in cheese fried in butter? I know the science behind this diet obviously works but I haven't had to really do anything I didn't do before in terms of cooking and fats in my diet. I'm a bit more liberal with butter and oils, but I've just cut carbs out and continued as normal; I haven't compensated for that by adding anything extra except for more veg to fill me up. Hoping that some of these desert recipes do the trick as that'll be a win/win.

Theyre just little mouthfuls of almost pure fat. Have a look at some of these options http://www.ruled.me/?s=Fatbomb

I made some before.

Melted coconut oil and real butter in a pot, chucked in Stevia, dried coconut, 90% chocolate. Poured them into ice cube trays, and into the freezer. Have to keep them cold or they'll melt.

I worked it out that each one was around 450 calories and 90% odd in fat.

Theyre just little mouthfuls of almost pure fat. Have a look at some of these options http://www.ruled.me/?s=Fatbomb

I made some before.

Melted coconut oil and real butter in a pot, chucked in Stevia, dried coconut, 90% chocolate. Poured them into ice cube trays, and into the freezer. Have to keep them cold or they'll melt.

I worked it out that each one was around 450 calories and 90% odd in fat.

I'm going to try this!

Beginning of August I was 138kg.

Weighed in at 127kg last week, so that's nice.

Need to order some more keto stic though, been flying blind the last week.

Also, been filling up a 2l bottle with water and mixing in a tea spoon of lo-salt to keep electrolytes up, has really been noticeable in terms of brain fog at times.

• 2 weeks later...

Weight/fat loss has stalled since starting the carb-up. I'm maintaining weight though, and I'm going to keep at it for a couple more weeks and see if I can get stronger and do a decent recomp.

Still weighting in the same (~160lb), every sunday Morning before the carb up. Maybe down about 1lb over the 2 weeks. Lifts have crept up a bit, but not much as expected. Not sure I like the idea of a recomp. Its very slow progress and I think I prefer switching to the bulk/cut cycles. Keeps it interesting and I'm much more focused. I'll complete this week and reevaluate what I want.

Deadlifted 175kg at 72kg bw in keto. The goal is 200kg at 75kg so if I can keep it creeping up I might get there.

Still weighting in the same (~160lb), every sunday Morning before the carb up. Maybe down about 1lb over the 2 weeks. Lifts have crept up a bit, but not much as expected. Not sure I like the idea of a recomp. Its very slow progress and I think I prefer switching to the bulk/cut cycles. Keeps it interesting and I'm much more focused. I'll complete this week and reevaluate what I want.

Deadlifted 175kg at 72kg bw in keto. The goal is 200kg at 75kg so if I can keep it creeping up I might get there.

Have you adjusted your macros? Maybe something to look at.

Also, Kiefer (carb nite guy) mentioned maybe doing your carb up after a heavy lifting session. Maybe something else to try?

• Upvote 1

Have you adjusted your macros? Maybe something to look at.

Also, Kiefer (carb nite guy) mentioned maybe doing your carb up after a heavy lifting session. Maybe something else to try?

My macros are 65F/35P/5C. And I'm lifting 4/5 times a week at the minute so I don't think I'd be in ketosis at all if I carb loaded then. Unless I absolutely nailed my carb amounts, maybe.

My macros are 65F/35P/5C. And I'm lifting 4/5 times a week at the minute so I don't think I'd be in ketosis at all if I carb loaded then. Unless I absolutely nailed my carb amounts, maybe.

Ah no. I didn't mean after every session. Just have your one carb nite after a heavy session. Do your normal keto the other 6 days.

As for your macros, I think I've read before that the ideal keto ratio is 75/20/5. So maybe you could up your fat intake a bit.

Have you tried this calculator? http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/