You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ketosis

I really do get the feeling all you lads are gonna balloon or have heart attacks somewhere down the line, I can see Dr Hilary Jones's furrowed brow now. 

Diet fads are bollocks, the Atkins was all the rage once and where is it now?  People have been losing weight for 10,000 years - they did it by walking and not eating cake.

For me I want a pretty quick fix to get down to 12.5 stone and then I'll maintain it with exercise. And to be fair it's working, only 5 days in and I've noticeably dropped weight. It has opened my eyes to the carbs shit though, I'll definitely cut back from now on.

For me I want a pretty quick fix to get down to 12.5 stone and then I'll maintain it with exercise. And to be fair it's working, only 5 days in and I've noticeably dropped weight. It has opened my eyes to the carbs shit though, I'll definitely cut back from now on.

Fair do's like, whatever works for  you. 

I lost about three stone last year jogging and not eating between meals, even when I started eating a bit of shit I found that weight easy to maintain. 

I then  got ill and unintentionally crash dieted because I wasn't eating, I lost a stone in about six weeks. As soon as I started eating again I ballooned to far past the weight I'd been before I was ill. 

The body is fucked up, seems to me that the faster you lose it the faster you pile it back on. I'm not one to lecture anyone on this though as I'm still  overweight I think and also a lazy bastard. 

Lots of evidence out there to disprove the correlation between cholesterol and heart disease, even from cardiologists.

Your body naturally produces cholesterol, about 80% of the cholesterol is your own body, the other 20% is from diet.

Statins destroy kidney cells to artificially lower cholesterol, it's a mad drug and it's very likely to be be worse for you than high cholesterol.

Half of people presenting at hospital for heart attacks and strokes have a cholesterol level in the 'normal' range. Makes you think about drug companies and perpetuating the same line about cholesterol and who benefits from that myth.

This isn't crank science, this is proven. Tons of studies out there, but stigma about cholesterol continues for this generation.

Lots of evidence out there to disprove the correlation between cholesterol and heart disease, even from cardiologists.

Your body naturally produces cholesterol, about 80% of the cholesterol is your own body, the other 20% is from diet.

Statins destroy kidney cells to artificially lower cholesterol, it's a mad drug and it's very likely to be be worse for you than high cholesterol.

Half of people presenting at hospital for heart attacks and strokes have a cholesterol level in the 'normal' range. Makes you think about drug companies and perpetuating the same line about cholesterol and who benefits from that myth.

This isn't crank science, this is proven. Tons of studies out there, but stigma about cholesterol continues for this generation.

I'm afraid I can't believe you until RP endorses it.

Pure crashed on this weekend. Overwhelming carb craving, not sure if my diet has been good enough or whether this diet is appropriate for me.

Just see how your body responds, mate. If you've only put on like a pound or two, and you lose it back and then some, that's alright once a week if you can manage.

I've pencilled in next Saturday as my first 'carb nite,' but as it stands I'm not really missing them and I'm gonna see how long I can without doing one. Having enough variety in my meals that I'm really enjoying it so far, and trying new dishes all the time. Just been having at least two or three different types of veg with each meal, sometimes more.

I know I'll miss beer, but it seems like you can have diet drinks with spirits so sure that will keep me sane for a while.

Just see how your body responds, mate. If you've only put on like a pound or two, and you lose it back and then some, that's alright once a week if you can manage.

I've pencilled in next Saturday as my first 'carb nite,' but as it stands I'm not really missing them and I'm gonna see how long I can without doing one. Having enough variety in my meals that I'm really enjoying it so far, and trying new dishes all the time. Just been having at least two or three different types of veg with each meal, sometimes more.

I know I'll miss beer, but it seems like you can have diet drinks with spirits so sure that will keep me sane for a while.

Yeah will get back on it, I don't think I am eating enough Calories to be honest. Going to start counting.

Yeah will get back on it, I don't think I am eating enough Calories to be honest. Going to start counting.

Get the myfitnesspal app to keep track, it has most foods you buy already loaded on there so you just search for them, put in the amount you eat and it tracks it all, tells you how much fats/protein etc you've eaten - and how much need, too. Dead easy.

Mine's been weird. Keep ranging from between 1500 a day to sometimes around 1000 once I look back at my day. Still eating loads, like. Don't want to go over 1500, but not intentionally been meaning to go as low as 1000, probably need to get my fats up a bit but been focusing on keeping the carbs low mainly. Need to start weighing my food before I cook it for a more accurate idea.

• Upvote 2

Get the myfitnesspal app to keep track, it has most foods you buy already loaded on there so you just search for them, put in the amount you eat and it tracks it all, tells you how much fats/protein etc you've eaten - and how much need, too. Dead easy.

Mine's been weird. Keep ranging from between 1500 a day to sometimes around 1000 once I look back at my day. Still eating loads, like. Don't want to go over 1500, but not intentionally been meaning to go as low as 1000, probably need to get my fats up a bit but been focusing on keeping the carbs low mainly. Need to start weighing my food before I cook it for a more accurate idea.

That app is great, you can scan in food labels and all the nutritional values are captured. It also has a pie chart that shows fat/protein/carbs.

You said you were lean anyway mate so you don't even need to fuck about with Ketosis.  Just eats the right foods, count your macros and exercise if you want to develop a 6 pack.  It'll take a bit of time but you'll get there in the end.

Use the below calculate to see how much you need to eat and away you go.

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

• Upvote 1

I don't write nothing down, but you're weak, you're out of control, and you're an embarrassment to yourself and everybody else.

That is all undeniably true, which is why I'm striving to become less of a fat mess and more of a pathetic excuse for an adult.

Take a look around sectch, all this fatties on the food pyramid are looking fucking fabulous, aren't they.

Straying away from conventional wisdom is scary enough without naysaying tourists in threads like this, so keep your opinions to yourself mate.

Not interested in eating a bowl of wheat each morning, or eating rice or pasta that tastes like shit without a drizzling of sugary sauce to counter the bland sugary starch, and the bloating that comes with it. It's not right.

Rule of thumb is that if my cat doesn't want a taste of something then it's likely full of unnatural shit. She's got a lovely coat and a great fanny.

Keep my opinions to myself? I'm largely taking the piss. Go and eat some bread and stop being a fanny.

Woo. That was a quote from the sopranos, I hope you know that mate. And you're not a fat mess, bollocks to that.

Course I knew it was Paulie, mate, and I knew you were taking the piss. As was I; I'm fucking great, me.

Back to the subject at hand....

Tipped the scales at 187.6lbs this morning, so up 1.2lbs after Carb Nite. Considering I gorged on caramel chew-chew Ben & Jerry's, Pringles, Galaxy Caramelchips with cheese & curry, battered burger, battered sausage, that's not too bad. Back on the wagon today.

My previous Everest of 190lbs is well and truly passed at this stage, and I have my eyes firmly trained on 180lbs. If I can get there, I'll break the 13 stone barrier for the first time since I was around 20. Would be chuffed with that.

Onwards and upwards.