You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ketosis

I hadn't really planned on it, as i haven't read much good about it, but I suppose it would be worth a pop for 4 weeks after the cut, just to see how id respond to it.

Yeah definitely worth a try. I always find I gain too much fat when bulking using carbs, so this may be the way to go.

Yeah definitely worth a try. I always find I gain too much fat when bulking using carbs, so this may be the way to go.

Did it once but it was so difficult to eat that much and be bothered to lift. I hate just taking spoonfuls of olive oil or PB just to get cals up.

I went back to brown rice and wholemeal pasta but ignored shit and bread and stuff like that.

Did it once but it was so difficult to eat that much and be bothered to lift. I hate just taking spoonfuls of olive oil or PB just to get cals up.

I went back to brown rice and wholemeal pasta but ignored shit and bread and stuff like that.

Yeah I can imagine it would be difficult. Force eating to get the calories in isn't nice.

I really don't think i'd struggle with the kcals. I'm on 2100kcals now and although I'm not ravenous, I could eat at any point in the day. I think I could do 3000kcals a day without even feeling it. Just an extra couple of handfuls of almonds really. Maybe it'll be harder than I think though.

I'll maybe try CKD (basically strict keto 5 days a week with the rest carb-loading) for a hopefully leanish bulk. Would be nice to be able to demolish a pizza on a saturday night.

I really don't think i'd struggle with the kcals. I'm on 2100kcals now and although I'm not ravenous, I could eat at any point in the day. I think I could do 3000kcals a day without even feeling it. Just an extra couple of handfuls of almonds really. Maybe it'll be harder than I think though.

I'll maybe try CKD (basically strict keto 5 days a week with the rest carb-loading) for a hopefully leanish bulk. Would be nice to be able to demolish a pizza on a saturday night.

Yeah agree with that. Eating a pizza or take away once a week can keep your sanity and motivation in check as well.

Keto can get boring. Too much of a good thing sometimes esp bulking.

When you're writhing in agony for months with kidney stones, you won't give a shiny shite what your weight is, or how defined your muscles are, you'll just long for a swift, merciful death to relieve you of the pain. Take it from someone who knows. The stones caused by high protein diets aren't your usual pussified calcium stones that break up easily. They're harder-than-diamond urea stones, that take countless lithotripsy sessions on the highest setting to break them up. I had to be literally tied to the bed, with the highest dose of pethidine they could give me, and it was still excruciating. Every couple of weeks for months. Just be careful.

When you're writhing in agony for months with kidney stones, you won't give a shiny shite what your weight is, or how defined your muscles are, you'll just long for a swift, merciful death to relieve you of the pain. Take it from someone who knows. The stones caused by high protein diets aren't your usual pussified calcium stones that break up easily. They're harder-than-diamond urea stones, that take countless lithotripsy sessions on the highest setting to break them up. I had to be literally tied to the bed, with the highest dose of pethidine they could give me, and it was still excruciating. Every couple of weeks for months. Just be careful.

Its not high protein it is high fat.

There has never been a study that demonstrated that increasing protein intake damages healthy kidneys. In fact, a review published on the Nutrition & Metabolism site in September 2005 states that there is no evidence that a higher protein intake is a concern in this regard.

In none of the studies conducted on the low carb diet has there been evidence of kidney damage.

However, people who already have severe pre-existing kidney disease often require a more limited protein intake along with regular monitoring of kidney function.

People with diabetes are at risk for kidney disease. Not because of eating protein but because of the damaging effects of high levels of blood sugar. Controlling carbohydrates is a good strategy for improving blood sugar control in people with type 2 diabetes thus decreasing the risk of kidney complications as well as other complications of diabetes.

http://kellythekitchenkop.com/do-low-carb-diets-cause-kidney-stones-jimmy-moore-helps-get-to-the-bottom-of-the-issue/

• Upvote 2

Its not high protein it is high fat.

They tend to go hand in hand, unless you're just eating blocks of lard? I did Dukan for ages, which is a ketogenic diet, and it was mostly protein, with some fat - meat, eggs, fish and cheese, with a small amount of green veg. It fucked my kidneys right up, and now I have to have a low protein diet (which I don't stick to, because I love meat too much).

On a ketogenic diet 75% of your diet should be fat 20% protein 5% fibrous carbs. I usually end up around 60:30:10 . If you take in too much protein your body will start to convert that to glucose instead of using fat.

I appreciate your point about a high protein diet but I would not do that and if you were eating more protein than fat that was not a ketogenic diet.

On a ketogenic diet 75% of your diet should be fat 20% protein 5% fibrous carbs. I usually end up around 60:30:10 . If you take in too much protein your body will start to convert that to glucose instead of using fat.

I appreciate your point about a high protein diet but I would not do that and if you were eating more protein that fat that was not a ketogenic diet.

I'm about 65F:30P:5C. Can you loosen up a bit once you've been on it for a while? Not that I want to as I'll have my refeed days once I move over to CKD, but just curious as I read (in fact now I'm asking I realise it was possibly in this thread) that your body will be quicker to switch to ketosis after its already been there.

Does anyone else take fish oils/multi-vitamains? I've never even considered taking them before but just wondering if they help you in any way?

I take a multivitamin, magnesium supplement, and omega 3-6-9. Been taking these for a while.

The magnesium supplement was something I started taking when I got anxiety. Haven't changed anything since moving to keto.

Does anyone else take fish oils/multi-vitamains? I've never even considered taking them before but just wondering if they help you in any way?

Multi vit, fish oil, and the odd protein shake are the only supps I bother with. I've got creatine but does not seem to do anything TBH

Multi vit, fish oil, and the odd protein shake are the only supps I bother with. I've got creatine but does not seem to do anything TBH

What are they for exactly? I hear protein shakes are good for helping rebuild muscle or whatever after a workout but what do fish oils and milti vits do for you? Anything noticeable than someone who doesn't take them?

Just put some coconut oil on my coffee, fuck me.

Anny, is weights a good fat loss thing on keto then?

A good weights program will help you keep your muscle as your body burns fat as fuel. Your basically using weights to stimulate your muscles to tell your body you need them, and to keep them.

What are they for exactly? I hear protein shakes are good for helping rebuild muscle or whatever after a workout but what do fish oils and milti vits do for you? Anything noticeable than someone who doesn't take them?

Hard to tell, as it could be placebo, but I notice myself being a bit sharper in work with the fish oils. My diets pretty healthy anyway, but I just take them as a precaution in case i'm low on anything from the diet.

Doing a hour of cardio will burn more calories while you are doing it but heavy weights you continue to burn at an increased rate for many hours.

Plus the more muscle you have the more calories you need to maintain it.

I take fish oil for my joints. I squat 4-5 times a week and it helps my knees. I take multi vits just as a cover all. Protein shakes are convenient if you are a bit low on protein and cant be arsed cooking.