You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ketosis

Fucking long posts, sorry. Am just wanting to try and give info on a few things, I'm also joining you shortly in trying this out for a bit (for reasons given below.)

What's a bad fat?

Manufactured trans fat for a start (some trans fats are natural), but like I was saying with omega 3's and 6's, if you don't keep any type of balance I can't see how that's healthy either, which would have me partly agreeing with Numero that this can in some cases be dangerous. On the other hand though, I think that's mainly if you aren't learning about what fats you're putting into your body. It could actually be that a big focus on saturated fat at the expense of others isn't too good for you either, but it probably depends on the situation and the person, instead of being a strict rule.

Say for instance you've created a highly inflammatory state from all the carbs you've been eating, then you suddenly switch to just eating whatever fats you want, and eat a ton of omega 6 based fats. Well in that case it could be dangerous. Omega 6 fats promote inflammation, so in theory you could be making yourself even worse. So I think you should definitely be researching fats if you're going to be focusing on them so much.

The thing about omega 3 and 6 fats (which you're also supposed to limit to a small percentage of total fats, according to quite a bit of research.) is that they're supposed to work as a balance; the inflammatory aspect of the omega 6 is balanced with the anti-inflammatory part of omega 3's.

One other thing which should definitely be taken into account, is that you can have reactive hypoglycemia as you're adjusting to the diet. So you should make sure you have something sugary at hand if needed.

Am going to be trying this over the next few days to see how it goes, am just making sure to work out what I'm doing a bit before starting. I don't expect to last long, but definitely want to try it to see how it affects some of the brain fog and anxiety problems I have, and it might also cut down on some inflammation if I've got that from so many recent carbs. Am going to make sure I have some lucozade ready for the reactive hypoglycemia issue, because it's basically a glucose drink without a lot of the shit that some other drinks have, and I've also loved the stuff since I was a kid.

Am also veggie, and I don't want to be losing weight, so I have to approach the thing a bit differently. Am going to be using avocado, hummus (yes it can be spelled that way!), some mayo, walnuts, milled flax seeds (this stuff), eggs, milk, butter, and whatever veggies I want. Some rice, pasta or chips for the carbs.

There's some info on omega fats/oils here. Almonds and peanuts are heavily omega 6 too, so balancing them out with other things, and/or cutting down on the amount of peanuts, almonds you have, could be worth looking at. (I get around peanut butter on toast by also eating a few walnuts and having a bit of organic milk usually, or sprinkling some flax mix on top of the peanut butter) :

http://omega6.wellwise.org/inflammation-omega-3-omega-6-fatty-acid-balance

http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/supplement/omega3-fatty-acids

Also, grass fed meats, usually meaning organic, are said to have better balances of omega 3 and 6, and be healthier for other reasons (this also applies with dairy of course, which is why I always get organic milk and butter.) Some info here :

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/grass-fed-meat-part-1/

http://authoritynutrition.com/grass-fed-vs-grain-fed-beef/

For a good read on saturated fats and the history of the issue (even if it is an old article.) : http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/07/magazine/what-if-it-s-all-been-a-big-fat-lie.html?src=pm

Sriracha sauce? What is this witchcraft you speak of?

Are the GF not on to this yet? A chilli sauce that I use on almost everything. 0 carbs of course. I always get mine from Tesco, it's either with the other table sauces or in the world foods section.

n-SRIRACHA-large570.jpg

• Upvote 1

Are the GF not on to this yet? A chilli sauce that I use on almost everything. 0 carbs of course. I always get mine from Tesco, it's either with the other table sauces or in the world foods section.

n-SRIRACHA-large570.jpg

That looks too hot for me, I struggle with a Jalfrezi.

Think I had a bit of a glycemic episode just now after a fairly big family walk in the heat.

Got a bit shaky, bit light headed, so I've popped a few biscuits and a kitkat and it should pass as per the advice.

Will definitely carry some rations next time I'm out and about. In theory these episodes will decrease as I train my body to not be a fat fuck.

Think I had a bit of a glycemic episode just now after a fairly big family walk in the heat.

Got a bit shaky, bit light headed, so I've popped a few biscuits and a kitkat and it should pass as per the advice.

Will definitely carry some rations next time I'm out and about. In theory these episodes will decrease as I train my body to not be a fat fuck.

Am probably going to stick with this from the link I posted back there :

During the first phases of eating a lower carb, ketogenic diet, it’s a good idea to make sure you eat every 3-4 hours. Until you can retrain your body to burn fat, don’t try to go for more than 4 hours without food.

And just eat bit more before bed with carbs, so there's less chance of waking up later on feeling like crap.

I think you guys are over thinking this.

Ive done it dozens of times while lifting heavy running miles and never had any of the symptoms you describe.

I'm paranoid anyway with food, it'll just take a bit of patience to get used to it I think. I'm already having more of an awareness of carbs though, some crazy levels in foods that I thought were quite reasonable before. I suppose they just get a lot less reasonable when you're limited so much. I thought I'd have to eat chips, pasta or whatever, but I could just cover the carbs during snacks by the looks of it, so that's at least easier.

Am going to skip having a big meal for a few days maybe, then just try and settle down into a more balanced routine where I actually have a main meal as well at some stage. I don't really have a huge thing about enjoying food a lot of the time anyway, so it's not something that's going to really bother me I don't think.

Maybe aye.

Then again my multivitamins don't have any potassium, magnesium or sodium...

Chemists tomorrow. The more I can rule out the more comfortable I'll be with it all.

I'm definitely in ketosis, my keto stick have shown it up the last few days.

Walnuts are great for magnesium, have been using them for that too because my own vits and mins only have about 30% of rda for it. Thanks for mentioning potassium though, I forgot about that recently and I don't have a main source of that either. Was using bananas before but can't so easily now, so have just checked here and there's plenty of other things to use instead.

As a vege I would be amazed if you were lacking potassium or magnesium. Obviously I don't know what you eat but veg is full of the stuff.

Magnesium hasn't been so easy from what I've seen, but yeah potassium is in a lot more veg I think. I just end up eating things like eggs, chips and beans a lot at times though, and sometimes not much else in a day. So the levels of it have probably been off for a while. That should change now though.

edit : I might be wrong on magnesium as well, I just kind of stopped looking so much once I had it covered a fair bit with a vits and mins tablet, bananas and walnuts.

Well that didn't go too well. Just realized I literally can't have a banana, and it did my head in so I just had one instead. (Bananas are the main fruit I've been eating for a while now.) I'll have to try and slowly adjust to doing this properly over the next week or so, it's a bit too mental for me to jump straight into. Definitely not sacking it off though, I'll just have to be patient with it. (I'm fine for finding different fruits too, have already been looking at more keto-friendly ones.)

edit : there's a summary of a book here from the /r/keto FAQ, that might be of use to some of you.

Got to the first shade on the ketostix. Also down 5lb in the first proper week, and strength hasn't taken much of a hit aside from the initial drop after first having cut carbs. If I can gain some confidence in the ability to cut predominantly fat, I'll not be so afraid to do a decent bulking phase.

Got to the first shade on the ketostix. Also down 5lb in the first proper week, and strength hasn't taken much of a hit aside from the initial drop after first having cut carbs. If I can gain some confidence in the ability to cut predominantly fat, I'll not be so afraid to do a decent bulking phase.

Well done mate.

Are you planning on bulking using Keto?

• Upvote 1