You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Lucas wants out? Good for him.

tlw content

Lucas Leiva may have played his last game for the club with reports suggesting he will leave Anfield before the transfer window shuts at the end of this month.

The popular Brazilian failed to even make the 18 man squad for the 1-0 win at Stoke on Sunday and his relationship with manager Brendan Rodgers has been steadily deteriorating over the last 18 months. The player has been unhappy for some time and was looking to leave the club last summer, but interest from Italian clubs failed to materialise into a firm offer so he stayed, albeit reluctantly. Now he may become the next player to leave the team in this 2015-16 season.

He almost left in January too following interest from Inter Milan and with things finally having seemingly now come to a head with Lucas wanting to leave and Liverpool reportedly ‘happy to listen to offers’, the odds on him remaining at Anfield beyond this summer appear to be lengthening by the day.

For some this will provide another stick to beat Rodgers with, but if the Northern Irishman sees the highly promising Emre Can as the long term option for that third midfield spot alongside Jordan Henderson and James Milner then surely that’s understandable? He may be happy to have Lucas in the squad as a back up option but if the player is not willing to accept that role then there’s little a manager can do. 

No-one is to blame here as it’s a fairly simple situation. Lucas believes he should be first choice and be in the team every week while Rodgers sees things differently and prefers other players. 

At 28 years of age Lucas does not want to be a back up player and in many ways that’s commendable as there are far too many footballers these days happy to pick up wages without earning them. If only Mario Balotelli, Fabio Borini and Jose Enrique had his desire to play football every week.

Lucas wants to play football but that’s not going to happen for him at Liverpool barring a midfield injury crisis, so therefore the most logical conclusion is him moving on to a club that see him as first choice. It’s no different to Jay Spearing, Jonjo Shelvey or Charlie Adam leaving. The profile and level of Lucas is obviously higher, but the basic principle is the same. All would prefer to play elsewhere than sit on the bench here.

Some players are happy enough to be squad men, others want to play every week and will not hang around if they aren't. If Lucas has had enough of not being a guaranteed starter then it’s best for all parties if he moves on.

It may also present more opportunities to promising teenager Jordan Rossiter, particularly in the Europa League for example.

Click here to view the article

Unless Rogers is planning on getting a top class DM in before the window closes I'd be keeping him. He'd be the first MF on the team sheet for me away from home against your better sides in the League.

He's an experienced player and I think he's also the longest serving player in the squad now isn't he? Good to have him around and also as a mentor to the other Brazilian lads, defo worth keeping!

Unless Rogers is planning on getting a top class DM in before the window closes I'd be keeping him. He'd be the first MF on the team sheet for me away from home against your better sides in the League.

He's an experienced player and I think he's also the longest serving player in the squad now isn't he? Good to have him around and also as a mentor to the other Brazilian lads, defo worth keeping!

That articles spot on, noones in the wrong over this and it's part of football.Even if Lucas was an important player it would make sense replacing him as he can't be relied on to stay fit.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2176878/Brendan-Rodgers-build-Liverpool-Lucas.html

This article shows BR did come with the plan of Lucas being an important player for him and BRs comments in the being LFC documentary back that up.

He'll be replaced if he goes imo, a journo was saying last night Rodgers has been looking at Carvalho but he's out injured for three months.If Lucas goes we'll only have 4 cms, the only way I can't see us getting one is if BR has viewed one of our youngsters as good enough to make the step up.

That articles spot on, noones in the wrong over this and it's part of football.Even if Lucas was an important player it would make sense replacing him as he can't be relied on to stay fit.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2176878/Brendan-Rodgers-build-Liverpool-Lucas.html

This article shows BR did come with the plan of Lucas being an important player for him and BRs comments in the being LFC documentary back that up.

He'll be replaced if he goes imo, a journo was saying last night Rodgers has been looking at Carvalho but he's out injured for three months.If Lucas goes we'll only have 4 cms, the only way I can't see us getting one is if BR has viewed one of our youngsters as good enough to make the step up.

Speak for yourself lad.- I am packing at least 6.

• Upvote 12

By that logic we should therefore be looking to get rid of Sturridge then ?

is that from sly sports screws hq or of the top of your head??makes no sense or difference to our team...

Wait, what? It doesn't make a difference if we average 1.75 points per game or 1.45? It's the difference between finishing the season with 67 points or 55 points.

By that logic we should therefore be looking to get rid of Sturridge then ?

If in 2-3 years he has been getting injured every season and has been declining then yes, even if we wanted to get rid of him right now we couldn't.

I still see a few people saying BR doesn't believe in a dm so In guessing they didn't read the article I linked where he talked about building a team around Lucas when he first took over.

I saw several reports yesterday saying BR would be looking for a replacement if Lucas goes with Carvalho and Illarmendi being linked.I was fairly sure James Pearce was one but he seems to be saying differently today, he didn't rule it out but said he didn't think the club viewed it as a crucial position and that BR thinks Can can do a job there.

If Rodgers had bought any kind of holding midfielder in the last 3 years with his 300 million pound wedge there'd be no need to play Lucas at all. But because of his refusal to buy one it means he's always ended up going back to Lucas when the midfield has gone to hell, but it's only ever a short term option because his legs have gone.

As it is Can is preferable as he can get more box to box, but there's still nobody who can shield the defence.

• Upvote 3