You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Over rated writers

Gnasher

I'm glad I can't watch youtube videos on my work computer. Just the sight of that cunts mullet/eighthead combination is filling me with rage.

I have an uncontrollable urge to put the kettle on.

"My body was her chariot and she rode me into the sun".

Make that tea with the spite of a vengeful god, my good man.

• Upvote 1

I'm no stranger to this truism, General.

We all get suckered in from time to time when plenty of sound people are adamant something isn't shit.

That's why I started scalping those who disappoint me.

Recommending something you later hate strikes at the core of your self-esteem. I've given up on offering suggestions for this very reason.
  • Upvote 2

Recommending something you later hate strikes at the core of your self-esteem. I've given up on offering suggestions for this very reason.

Ha.  I remember picking up a A Million Little Pieces from a book-share on another trip abroad.  First couple of chapters I thought not bad, and recommended it to a couple of people staying in the same dorm who asked what I was reading.

A bit further in the penny dropped and I had to rain punches down on my own face and neck for being fooled by such a twat.  Cringe.

Got partway through an Alex Cross book I picked up to look at. Only read a few chapters because it kept going on about Cross having swapped his car for a people carrier and how much he enjoyed going for a drive in it. Fucking bonkers.

Pretty sure the fellas in work who rave about him have been poisoned by mercury over the years, if I stay here much longer I'm going to end up like them, which is a real concern.

• Upvote 1

You're bang on RR, I just hated that book. 

Given that American Tabloid is one of my all time favourites, it's sequel was such a let down. Didn't you find the staccato prose irritating at all? 

Talking of disappointing sequels, I only got about a third of the way through Joseph Heller's Closing Time before giving it up.  It's cack and it's an insult to Catch 22.

Melville. Moby Dick is a bloated bag of blubber, with around 250 pages of pseudo-biological garbage padding put an underdeveloped plot. I really think people who claim to like it are just trying to show off that they got through it. Shite. Read the first chapter and the last and you are sound.

Also, two writers of my favourite books (Old man and the sea and The Idiot) but I find Dostoyevsky and hemingway to be pretty hit and miss.

• Downvote 1

I was gonna mention Martin Amis; stolen a living on his daddy's coat-tails. 

I nominate Jack Kerouac. One half-decent teen-book (On the Road) followed by a slew of drivel. 

No doubt that gave him a head start, but read Money, Time's Arrow or London Fields, and you'll find he's been stealing a living on the back of his previous excellence too.  

Melville. Moby Dick is a bloated bag of blubber, with around 250 pages of pseudo-biological garbage padding put an underdeveloped plot. I really think people who claim to like it are just trying to show off that they got through it. Shite. Read the first chapter and the last and you are sound.

Also, two writers of my favourite books (Old man and the sea and The Idiot) but I find Dostoyevsky and hemingway to be pretty hit and miss.

Call me Negmael.

• Upvote 1