You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What are you smoking over at the Britannia, Glen?

tlw content

Glen Johnson insists he left Liverpool exactly how he would have liked and claims that despite heavy investment this summer the Reds' squad is no better than it was last season.

Johnson spent six years at Anfield, playing 200 games and finding the net nine times (from 3712 shots, all with his left foot from 25 yards after cutting inside). He will line up against his former team-mates tomorrow and insists he has no regrets at how things turned out.

“I had a very good time [at Liverpool] and enjoyed the majority of it” said the 30 year old. “But I turned down a new contract at the end of the day, so it ended exactly how I would like.”

Well technically yes, he did turn down a new contract. A contract that would have meant a rather significant pay cut, and one that it could even be argued that Liverpool knew he’d never agree to.

You may recall around the time he turned down that contract he was being heavily linked with a move to Roma, while (don’t laugh) Barcelona were even reported to be interested at one stage when it looked like Dani Alves may be moving on.

Johnson presumably thought he’d have his share of decent offers when his contract expired at Liverpool, but it would appear he was mistaken as... well... he ended up at Stoke. Is he really trying to suggest his plan when rejecting Liverpool’s contract offer was to go and join Mark Hughes’ side? Pull the other other one, Glen.

johnsonhappy.jpg

The former England man also claimed that Liverpool’s new signings won’t immediately strengthen the first eleven. “They've made some signings, but not ones that are going to walk straight into the team” he said.

Hmmm. Christian Benteke, James Milner, Nathaniel Clyne and Joe Gomez are all expected to make the starting line up tomorrow, so clearly Glen mustn’t have been paying attention, a common failing of his and one of the biggest reasons his departure was not mourned by Kopites.

He added, “They've lost Raheem, who was an important player, so I wouldn't say it's a better squad than last year.”

Given that Johnson himself has been replaced by Clyne, some supporters might suggest that immediately makes it a better squad than last year.

Click here to view the article

Guest Pistonbroke

Overrated as a player and as thick as dog shit. I really hope those who backed this useless excuse of a human being can see him for what he is now. 

Puts bit more on the game tomorrow. First game of the season, chance to exercise a few demons after the 6-1, and now an opportunity to make a bitter former player eat his words.

His time at Liverpool has been done to death. On his day a very good modern fullback, but those days were few and far between, and the last two seasons were a joke as he didn't even look like he was trying.

• Upvote 3

Should have been a great player and for a while there I thought he might be, especially when Brendan came in.

Inexplicable how the arse completely fell out of his game. Have to assume he's just not that arsed about his football.

I bet he'll be arsed tommorow.

Glen Johnson insists he left Liverpool exactly how he would have liked and claims that despite heavy investment this summer the Reds' squad is no better than it was last season.Johnson spent six years at Anfield, playing 200 games and finding the net nine times (from 3712 shots, all with his left foot from 25 yards after cutting inside). He will line up against his former team-mates tomorrow and insists he has no regrets at how things turned out.“I had a very good time [at Liverpool] and enjoyed the majority of it” said the 30 year old. “But I turned down a new contract at the end of the day, so it ended exactly how I would like.”Well technically yes, he did turn down a new contract. A contract that would have meant a rather significant pay cut, and one that it could even be argued that Liverpool knew he’d never agree to.You may recall around the time he turned down that contract he was being heavily linked with a move to Roma, while (don’t laugh) Barcelona were even reported to be interested at one stage when it looked like Dani Alves may be moving on.Johnson presumably thought he’d have his share of decent offers when his contract expired at Liverpool, but it would appear he was mistaken as... well... he ended up at Stoke. Is he really trying to suggest his plan when rejecting Liverpool’s contract offer was to go and join Mark Hughes’ side? Pull the other other one, Glen.  

johnsonhappy.jpg 

The former England man also claimed that Liverpool’s new signings won’t immediately strengthen the first eleven. “They've made some signings, but not ones that are going to walk straight into the team” he said.Hmmm. Christian Benteke, James Milner, Nathaniel Clyne and Joe Gomez are all expected to make the starting line up tomorrow, so clearly Glen mustn’t have been paying attention, a common failing of his and one of the biggest reasons his departure was not mourned by Kopites.He added, “They've lost Raheem, who was an important player, so I wouldn't say it's a better squad than last year.”Given that Johnson himself has been replaced by Clyne, some supporters might suggest that immediately makes it a better squad than last year.  Click here to view the article

Johnson has played 200 games for us under 4 different managers - including Kenny and Rafa - represented us in finals, played alongside Liverpool greats from Sami to Gerrard and has seen the vast majority of our squad, up close, in day-to-day training for well over a year.

He's entitled to a view on the Liverpool squad and I would take his opinion over some lion-manned con artist from ESPN.

What's he got to be bitter about, he stole a magnificent living from the club, far more than he was worth.

He was made a scapegoat and was constantly criticised by fans, as he said in that interview when he was fit while here he always started.Injuries fucked him towards the end rather then a lack of effort, I can understand him being upset at the treatment he got when he had been a good player for us for a few years.

Lucas has suffered the same treatment and accepted it was part of being a footballer, GJ should have done the same and not made bitter comments.