You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What's the point in Lallana?

Gym Beglin

In fairness he, (Lallana) was poor yesterday, outmuscled is biggest failure. Like him to certain degree, but slipped in yesterday in first half and was brushed aside with ease. Stoke away not ideal and Can helped on possession front when arrived.

He wasn't as bad as Skrtel though, 2 shit back passes, one clown of a tackle/yellow, standing under ball while Walters easily out jumping. Leaving his man at back post for Clyne who had great defensive clearance (bailing him out) and being totally leaderless yet again-Lovren doing all the talking holding the line!!

In interest of fairness he made a good clearance in first half!! So on top of Lallana, Lovren v Sakho thread surely can't be far from one in the offing!!

Anyway, I digress Lallana was poor yesterday!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Downvote 1

I don't think there has been a time in my adult life where I've liked all of the players in the team. Sometimes the reasons may, to the untrained eye, appear to be fickle.  An ill-advised perm or tattoo.  They're a bit shit.  They have an irritating voice.  They're thick as pigshit and hellbent on betraying it at every opportunity.  They can't leave their hair alone.  They lack bottle. They're boring.  Or Lazy.  Or playing silly buggers in the press.  Etc. 

Yeah, I'm usually the same, but in the last few years I've tended to focus all that ire  towards Johnson and his wage-stealing displays, so now he's finally gone I struggle to see anyone as annoying in comparison.

I'll forgive a lack of ability or intelligence, as long as someone looks like they care, and I think bar Balotelli all our players seem to give a shit. Not sure about Enrique come to think of it, but I kind of think of him as retired anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

The point of players like Lallana is to have a solid spine that they can work off and do their itsy bitsy spider skill type stuff and work us a goal. Seeing as we don't have that as Fudgers refuses to sign some proper DMs, Lallana is often played out of position or required to do way more than he is actually capable of and ends up looking what he is, a limited overpriced player who even given those limitations is still good enough to have an effect for us (as he did for the club we so expensively bought him from ), if only we'd play him to his strengths and not out of position. 

He still is quite shit though. 

• Upvote 3

Lallana would have fit in really well in our squad two years ago. He could have come in for Coutinho or Sterling on their inconsistent days, or on instead of Moses when we needed a goal.

His jinky linky skills would have worked well with Suarez and Sturridge.

He's just not a game defining player though which is what we could use more of now.

• Upvote 2

When we've got a defence that doesn't need too much help from the midfield, and a midfield that doesn't need to constantly pull back an AM or two, then players like Lallana will look better. Imagine him or Coutinho in a side where the back four was reassuringly solid and the midfield pushed up, allowing them to focus almost solely on running forwards rather than backwards.

The point of players like Lallana is to mince around midfield performing Cruyff turns down blind alleys and to lose the ball after taking about 20 unnecessary touches before jogging away coiffing his hair in a brazen act of defiance. 

• Upvote 1