You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Backing the manager

G Richards

Gerrard, Suarez, Reina, Carragher would in their prime get in any side.

Yes. 

So then either it was wrong to get rid of them, or they were no longer good enough and therefore we weren't really missing much by getting rid of them.

You can't really use it as an excuse for Rodgers but also defend his decision to get rid.

Yes. 

So then either it was wrong to get rid of them, or they were no longer good enough and therefore we weren't really missing much by getting rid of them.

You can't really use it as an excuse for Rodgers but also defend his decision to get rid.

Bar Suarez, Rodgers did not have the luxury of managing Stevie, Pepe, Carra in their prime, he was unfortunate to be the manager in the hot seat when massive players were coming to the end of their careers, sadly for Rodgers it wasn't just one player to ease out gently but the spine of the team needed some tough decisions over personnel. It was stick or twist, Rodgers imo made the right calls.

Bar Suarez, Rodgers did not have the luxury of managing Stevie, Pepe, Carra in their prime, he was unfortunate to be the manager in the hot seat when massive players were coming to the end of their careers, sadly for Rodgers it wasn't just one player to ease out gently but the spine of the team needed some tough decisions over personnel. It was stick or twist, Rodgers imo made the right calls.

The discussion has been done to death, but I think we can all agree that barring a tsunami that wipes out the team, this season - good or bad - has to be largely down to Rodgers.  He's chosen the players to buy, he has introduced a new coaching team, and he will decide the tactics and team selection.  

• Upvote 2

To look at those results and performances at the end of the season and not believe that the manager is primarily to blame is like shitting out of a 10th floor window and then quickly running down the stairs to be in position for it to land on your head.

Those performances were truly abject. Clueless, feckless, guileless, unsullied by a will to win, or a plan, or determination, or anything resembling character. There hasn't been a worse ending to a season in living memory. And in my case, that is a long time.

The last few leauge games of Kennys second spell didnt go well.

Its plainly obvious to me the job is too much to soon for Rodgers. I feel he would make a great assistant to an experienced manager. On the coaching side of things he is very good. But bringing in players I feel is his downfall. His attempt in the CL was embarrassing to say the least. 

I would love for him to prove me wrong but I just can't see it.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/brendan-rodgers-know-need-regain-9815626

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/exclusive-werner-liverpool-fc-decided-9815219

BR"FSG always thought I was the guy to be here & they reassured me of that. That gives me great confidence in terms of going ahead."

FSG will tolerate 'a steady' start to the campaign with the expectation that they will push on thereafter. (Paul Joyce) #LFC

What I've been saying for months being able to judge on what the owners have done here, these conspiracy theories about waiting for Klopp and BR bring under pressure from the start are bollocks.Accept he's going to be here until the end of next season, if he fails those that don't want him will get their wish, complaining during the season and creating a bad atmosphere won't help the team.

• Upvote 1

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/brendan-rodgers-know-need-regain-9815626http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/exclusive-werner-liverpool-fc-decided-9815219

BR"FSG always thought I was the guy to be here & they reassured me of that. That gives me great confidence in terms of going ahead."

FSG will tolerate 'a steady' start to the campaign with the expectation that they will push on thereafter. (Paul Joyce) #LFC

What I've been saying for months being able to judge on what the owners have done here, these conspiracy theories about waiting for Klopp and BR bring under pressure from the start are bollocks.Accept he's going to be here until the end of next season, if he fails those that don't want him will get their wish, complaining during the season and creating a bad atmosphere won't help the team.

He will have to hit the ground running and it's as simple as that, there have been quite a few collapses in performances during his tenure not least the disgraceful end to last season so if he doesn't want people on his back then it's simple isn't it, put to work the mass of funds he has had in his time here.

Most people I speak to think he'll be gone by Christmas, the fixtures haven't been kind and we are again bedding in a load of players and whatever this weeks formation might be, a lot of the problems we have had lead directly back to him so I don't think he can say he won't have had a fair crack of the whip if he does end up going.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/brendan-rodgers-know-need-regain-9815626

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/exclusive-werner-liverpool-fc-decided-9815219

The owners and rodgers can say allsorts. Fact is if results go the wrong way and the fans at home matches start getting restless and booing performances which could easily happen. Then he will get the push.

The money he has spent is unprecedented for a Liverpool Manager. there needs to be a return and quickly or it could very easily turn poisonous.

This club isn't some groundhog day scenario, where we just keep backing this guy regardless of what happens on the pitch. If he fucks up the busy opening stanza he'll be out, i think you underestimate the ruthlessness of these owners.

I think you also underestimate how much fans will turn if he loses against Stoke, never mind anyone else. If we get dicked against Stoke and he rolls out the meaningless platitudes as usual, he'll be getting booed within 5 games maximum. 

• Upvote 2

In Rodgers defence I'm pretty sure he had his heart set on Sanchez to replace Suarez. Missing out on the league and a poor World Cup seemed to tell on Stevie, Ming's form improved dramatically after he was dropped. Sturridge injuries must have been a body blow plus Sterlings inconsistent form. I agree the manager should shoulder a portion of the blame but there were a few mitigating circumstances.

There was plenty of alternatives to Sanchez though. Wenger pulled out all the stops to get Alexis at the World Cup while Rodgers was enjoying a long holiday with his new girlfriend. So before we came back for pre-season Alexis was gone and we had to move on.

Rodgers also had his heart set on Lovren and Lallana which were our two main targets and were a downgrade on what we already had (Sakho, Coutinho).

If we spent all that money on Firmino this summer and Rodgers says what a brilliant player his is, well why not buy him last summer instead of Lallana or as a Sanchez alternative? He'd actually had a better season for Hoffenheim.

Mignolet was hopeless but a better goalkeeping coach than Achterberg might have helped, or being able to drop him earlier by not having the worst number 2 in the league.

The season before, and an extra year, were always going to take out of Gerrard last season, plus all the extra competitions and games and after a World Cup. We should have gone out and got a proper holding midfielder in, but Rodgers is too arrogant to play with one and made Gerrard look worse by the way he was deployed and utilised in a Suarez/Sturridge-less team.

Rodgers is not alone at the club in fucking up and making mistakes (whoever's responsible for Balotelli should be out of a job) but he had an absolute nightmare last season and should have been fucked off with Marsh and Pascoe for his dreadful management of the squad, but these jokers didn't want to have to go looking for a new manager.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

There was plenty of alternatives to Sanchez though. Wenger pulled out all the stops to get Alexis at the World Cup while Rodgers was enjoying a long holiday with his new girlfriend. So before we came back for pre-season Alexis was gone and we had to move on.

Bollocks.

Don't understand the need to make shit up as if it helps your argument.

• Upvote 1

Bollocks.

Don't understand the need to make shit up as if it helps your argument.

Wenger was at the World Cup in contact with Sanchez and his people so by the time we got round to trying to get him Wenger had already put the work in. If we really wanted Sanchez we should have pulled out all the stops to get him and we didn't do that. Maybe we wouldn't have got him anyway but we could have offered a lot more money and done more to try and convince him.

Regardless though missing out on Sanchez didn't mean it had to be Balotelli or bust. How in the actual fuck do you go from Sanchez to Balotelli? If we could spend 30 million on Firmino this summer why couldn't we sign him cheaper last year? He was one of the best players in Germany and much more suited to our style than the shite we bought.

This club isn't some groundhog day scenario, where we just keep backing this guy regardless of what happens on the pitch. If he fucks up the busy opening stanza he'll be out, i think you underestimate the ruthlessness of these owners.

I think you also underestimate how much fans will turn if he loses against Stoke, never mind anyone else. If we get dicked against Stoke and he rolls out the meaningless platitudes as usual, he'll be getting booed within 5 games maximum.

People need to click on both links I should have highlighted what they were about, the first one is BR saying he needs to win the fans trust back and the second is a interview with Werner.

Werner said a good start would be helpful but a slow start wouldn't be the end of the world, he also said the next time they will talk about things is at the end of next season where they can evaluate.

That sounds pretty clear to me that BR won't be going anywhere anytime soon, I've been saying for months that's what the owners like to do as even under Hodgson when fans were pissed from the moment the owners took over they wanted to wait and believed in stability which they came out and said.

It would take a worse first half of the season then last season for him to be sacked earlier as even last season we were still in with a shout of cl at January, I can't see that happening at all but if it does even I will agree he should go.

Frankly JP, words are cheap right now. You could pick apart every line in that "interview", as most of what Werner says is PR fluff and the rest is pretty worrying if you hoped the owners were going to be more proactive and hands on.

He talks vaguely and gives no assurances over Rodgers' position though, which is as it should be, there's no point heading into a season making out the sword of damocles is hanging over the manager.

For context, here's another quote from Werner:

April 2012 - "We've got great confidence in Kenny, we feel the team is going to make strides in the future and he enjoys our full support."

• Upvote 2

I agree your point about the fans, Us getting behind him or not on an internet forum is irrelevant.. If the fans and the press want blood then he's pretty much toast. Not sure how ruthless the owners are really, They could have sacked him at Christmas and it was surprising they didn't at the end of the season. 

Wenger was at the World Cup in contact with Sanchez and his people so by the time we got round to trying to get him Wenger had already put the work in. If we really wanted Sanchez we should have pulled out all the stops to get him and we didn't do that. Maybe we wouldn't have got him anyway but we could have offered a lot more money and done more to try and convince him.

Regardless though missing out on Sanchez didn't mean it had to be Balotelli or bust. How in the actual fuck do you go from Sanchez to Balotelli? If we could spend 30 million on Firmino this summer why couldn't we sign him cheaper last year? He was one of the best players in Germany and much more suited to our style than the shite we bought.

arsenal fans were saying the same thing about Wenger, why was he commentating in Brazil or getting his photo taken on the beach instead of working on transfers. Why was he fucking around while we were trying to sign sanchez etc etc.

The idea that Rogers was just on his holidays 'with his new bird' and so just ignored everything is, frankly, bollocks and a cheap shot.