You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Stoke away 9/8/2015

aRdja

Just watched the game. Pretty shitty performance to be honest despite the score. Don't think we created a single chance all game. Even Cout's goal wasn't a chance, just a great moment of individual brilliance that came out of nothing. But, I guess 3 pts is 3 pts. We better have another plan than merely relying on Coutinho's moments of magic though.

On another point, as good as Ibe is on the ball, the guy's off the ball movement is absolutely woeful. He's got no movement whatsover, all he did the whole game was hug the touchline watching the game and waiting for the ball to be played into his feet. And, Clyne couldn't even bomb forward as he usually does because Ibe was too busy man marking the linesman.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Well, we hardly needed a spoiler DM of any sort against fucking Stoke for fuck's sake, did we? They threatened less than we did.

Anybody care to explain exactly what our tactics were? I saw Ibe go forward early once; neither fullback got within 20 yards of the by-line, did they?

Keep it tight and hope Coutinho nicks one - well played!

the last time we played a DM against stoke we got beat 6-1.

• Upvote 1

What?

None of that makes sense. You're wondering if we're planning to sell our best left-sided CB (by a mile) in order to... what, exactly?

I'm wondering if the plan with Gomez is to sign a decent young prospect and - depending on how he progresses - either sell him or make him a regular first-teamer in a few years' time.

rodgers doesnt want sakho. Why else would he pay 20m for another lcb.

I wonder does he blame him for passing the ball to gerrard before the slip?

Just watched the game. Pretty shitty performance to be honest despite the score. Don't think we created a single chance all game. Even Cout's goal wasn't a chance, just a great moment of individual brilliance that came out of nothing. But, I guess 3 pts is 3 pts. We better have another plan than merely relying on Coutinho's moments of magic though.

Negged for wacky logic.

If a shot on target that beats the keeper isn't " a chance" then what is?

• Upvote 2

Negged for wacky logic.

If a shot on target that beats the keeper isn't " a chance" then what is?

Maybe, it wasn't expressed in the clearest of manner, but still think it's fairly obvious that I meant we created fuck all as a team. Well, except to morons like you.

• Downvote 1

rodgers doesnt want sakho. Why else would he pay 20m for another lcb.

I wonder does he blame him for passing the ball to gerrard before the slip?

He paid £20m for another lcb the summer we sold Agger.  Remember him?  The bloke who didn't play in that many games in his last season, but racked up a disproportionate number of clean sheets?  The bloke who was sat scratching his arse while Sakho was adjusting to life in the Premier League?  I don't see any reason to assume that Rodgers has a problem with Sakho.

And why would he wait a year to freeze out a player who played a decent ball to his captain?

On another point, as good as Ibe is on the ball, the guy's off the ball movement is absolutely woeful. He's got no movement whatsover, all he did the whole game was hug the touchline watching the game and waiting for the ball to be played into his feet. And, Clyne couldn't even bomb forward as he usually does because Ibe was too busy man marking the linesman.

This place just keeps getting weirder and weirder 

• Upvote 2

What?

None of that makes sense.  You're wondering if we're planning to sell our best left-sided CB (by a mile) in order to... what, exactly?

I'm wondering if the plan with Gomez is to sign a decent young prospect and - depending on how he progresses - either sell him or make him a regular first-teamer in a few years' time.

Sell Sakho, a player who the manager doesn't rate. Use that money to bring in a first choice LB whilst Gomez becomes back up cb (his preferred position.) Not what I'd do but I can see Rodgers thinking like that.

Just finished watching a recording of the match. I'm made up with that. 

After last season's 6-1 we had to look solid, and we did. It was a difficult game and it looked like it was going to be one of those hard fought draws. I would have accepted a point as there won't be many who come away from Stoke with much this season.

But when you have some good players anything can happen. Step forward Coutinho. Absolutely superb. Strength to turn. Then a step sideways. And that shot! To hit a ball with that much pace/swerve/dip/accuracy into the top corner is something very few players can do, and this fella is making a bit of a habit of it. 

I hadn't seen any pre-season games so this was my first proper look at a few of our players. Gomez looked an excellent prospect. Strong, solid, pace, got stuck in. I think Walters might have got the better of Moreno but Gomez got stuck into him. Gomez got under the ball once or twice but that is a very minor quibble. The boy can play. 

Clyne did very well too. He was solid throughout. He nicked in with a defensive header late on just as it looked like Diouf was about to pull the trigger. 

Milner did well enough I thought. He got stuck in and I liked the tackle on Charlie Adam. Charlie Adam has a way of injuring players and going through them, so it was nice to see Milner not back down. Adam took it out on Henderson a bit later on and I was glad to see Henderson get up uninjured. 

Benteke looked strong but he seemed a bit too isolated to me. When it was 4-2-3-1 I thought he wasn't really in the game, but when we switched it up later on when Can came on, it looked like Benteke had a bit more support. It looked like we went to 4-3-3 at that point.

It was nice to see Firmino get a few minutes as he finds his feet in the Premier League. Hopefully he will go on to be a big player for us.

Two minor gripes:

When we went 1-0 up it seemed to give Stoke carte blanche to foul us without the ref doing a thing!

Lovren. I would have rather seen Sakho start the match (unless he is injured and I don't know about it). Sakho brings the ball out of the defence better, and I suspect he could have released the midfield a bit quicker and in turn, Benteke might have got a bit more support. I can't think of any glaring mistakes Lovren did, and I quite liked his 'strength' when he got into position near the half way line on Diouf and the striker got Lovren's elbow. I don't want stupid violence or mistakes that will cost us, but I don't mind having defenders who can mix it.

We've lost far too many games at Stoke over the years and unfortunately our team has frequently looked like boys playing against men. In addition to Coutinho's wonderful strike, the main memory I will take from today is that we look like we're ready for a physical battle this season. We have some good players, we know we do, but football isn't just about that. You have to roll up your sleeves and battle to earn the right to play. Or, as the late, great Arthur Daley liked to put it, "You have to get your retaliation in first." We had a bit of that about us today and I liked it.

Onwards and upwards. Three well earned points.   

• Upvote 3

Guest Super Sub

If a player has a clear view on goal that isn't obstructed by opposition players then he can shoot on goal that is a goal scoring opportunity or a chance. If however there were two banks of players in front of a player blocking a shot on goal then that is not a chance or a goal scoring opportunity.

• Upvote 1

Guest Super Sub

No issue with selling Sakho if we are replacing him.

He's madly in love with PSG and goes from Desailly to Traore 20 times a game

Sakho reminds me of Sissoko in that he is a fairly decent player but he has glaringly obvious flaws in his game. Sissoko was decent at pressing forward and passing but when it came to talking he was a liability. Sakho is the opposite he is good at takling but after that he is an accident waiting to happen.

If a player has a clear view on goal that isn't obstructed by opposition players then he can shoot on goal that is a goal scoring opportunity or a chance. If however there were two banks of players in front of a player blocking a shot on goal then that is not a chance or a goal scoring opportunity.

You're wasting your time mate. In fact I'm astounded that its come to this!

Sakho reminds me of Sissoko in that he is a fairly decent player but he has glaringly obvious flaws in his game. Sissoko was decent at pressing forward and passing but when it came to talking he was a liability. Sakhalin is the obvious he is good at talking but after that he is an accident waiting to happen.

You're confusing him with the manager

• Upvote 1

Only positive for me was the back four working as a unit for once

The ONLY positive of a win at a place we got bummed last season, and the sort of team that has routinely beaten us over the last 5-6 years.

No other positives?

The ONLY positive of a win at a place we got bummed last season, and the sort of team that has routinely beaten us over the last 5-6 years.

No other positives?

Not really no

Defence played well, everyone else didn't

Coutinho covered up a pretty shitty performance as he did many times in our mini revival last season.

Benteke will be proper fucking shit if we continue with this formation

• Downvote 1