You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

This business in Calais

Baltar

http://newsthump.com/2015/07/30/migrants-dying-in-channel-tunnel-urged-to-call-themselves-cecil/

Migrants risking their lives to travel through the channel tunnel have been told to give themselves a nice friendly name like ‘Cecil’ to make sure people give a toss whether they live or die.

With thousands more migrants willing to risk death just to enter the country, millions of Britons are still steadfastly refusing to give the tiniest of shits about their welfare.

Briton and staunch supporter of anti-migrant policies Simon Williams told, “If thousands of immigrants are trying to get through the tunnel, then of course a few of them are going to die.”

“That shouldn’t stop us turning them all back the moment they get here.”

“The ones who die are probably called things like Humzah and Mustafa anyway. Why should I care about them?”

“Wait, the one who died was called Cecil? Thats…terrible. Oh my God. Why wasn’t more done to help poor loveable Cecil get through the tunnel?”

“Cecil never hurt anyone.”

Channel Tunnel migrants

Not everyone is inclined to care about the life of an immigrant, no matter what their name is.

As another explained, “Look, you can try to make me care about an immigrant as much as a lion all you like, but it won’t work, because they’re completely different.”

“One is nothing but a selfish predatory creature that takes whatever it wants and would sit on its arse all day letting someone else feed and support it if it could, and the other is an immigrant.”

http://newsthump.com/2015/07/30/migrants-dying-in-channel-tunnel-urged-to-call-themselves-cecil/

Migrants risking their lives to travel through the channel tunnel have been told to give themselves a nice friendly name like ‘Cecil’ to make sure people give a toss whether they live or die.

With thousands more migrants willing to risk death just to enter the country, millions of Britons are still steadfastly refusing to give the tiniest of shits about their welfare.

Briton and staunch supporter of anti-migrant policies Simon Williams told, “If thousands of immigrants are trying to get through the tunnel, then of course a few of them are going to die.”

“That shouldn’t stop us turning them all back the moment they get here.”

“The ones who die are probably called things like Humzah and Mustafa anyway. Why should I care about them?”

“Wait, the one who died was called Cecil? Thats…terrible. Oh my God. Why wasn’t more done to help poor loveable Cecil get through the tunnel?”

“Cecil never hurt anyone.”

Channel Tunnel migrants

Not everyone is inclined to care about the life of an immigrant, no matter what their name is.

As another explained, “Look, you can try to make me care about an immigrant as much as a lion all you like, but it won’t work, because they’re completely different.”

“One is nothing but a selfish predatory creature that takes whatever it wants and would sit on its arse all day letting someone else feed and support it if it could, and the other is an immigrant.”

*Applies post to Facebook fishing rod*

Yeah certainly mate. It comes from a variety of places, the most thorough source tends to come from publications of charities working with the issue although good journalism like Champ mentioned can corroborate the evidence. I'm tapping on my phone in the park right now, buy I'll try to sort you some good sources when I get back.

Gracias.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/not-migrant-hordes--people-6165167

They do not have names.

They do not have needs, or rights, or jobs, or a tax code, or a passport.

They are your choice of collective noun: a swarm, a flood, a tide, a horde.

They are not Bob, or Sue, or David or Kate or Charlotte or Adrian. They are not like us. They are Them.

They are stateless and helpless, foodless and friendless. Why should we share?

“The migrant crisis” sounds so much more threatening than “the humanitarian crisis”. The need for “austerity” sounds more important than the need for “common sense”.

Let’s put to one side for a moment any arguments about space and what we’ll do if the entire population of the world wants to move to these few cold, wet, paedophile-producing square miles of rock.

Let’s look at the facts.

1) There are about 5,000 stateless people in Calais

And 64.1million people in the UK. That means if we let in every single person who’d currently like us to, the population would explode by 0.0000078%.

That’s not a flood. It’s barely a drip. 

2) They would not cost very much

Total UK welfare spending is expected to be £217billion this year, 29% of our overall budget. It includes benefits, tax credits, and pensions.

That works out to £3,385 per head of current population, or £7,406 per taxpayer.

If we let in those 5,000 extra people, and we assume they need benefits and pay taxes at the same rates as everyone else, the bill would increase by just under £17,000.

That extra £17,000 divided by all the taxpayers is an extra 2,000th of a penny, each.

That’s not a drain on resources. And when you consider that over their lifetimes those immigrants are more likely than those born here to work harder for longer and pay more taxes while taking less out of the system, it might even turn into a plus.

3) Most people don’t want to come here

The argument that letting these people in would mean everyone else would do the same is common, but unreasonable.

Yes, each immigrant may have family members who would join them – but if you multiplied their numbers by five, 10, or 20, they still have virtually no impact on our population or finances.

Most of those trying to come to Britain are from Syria, Libya, Somalia and Eritrea, which have a combined population of 45m.

Those 5,000 immigrants represent 0.01% of them. That’s not a horde.

4) It’s not their fault

The fact their home states have collapsed is not down to these people’s failures.

The fact ISIS are rampaging across the Middle East, Boko Haram are stealing children and fascist fundamentalists are undergoing Islamic schism while Britain enjoys a post-colonial reputation as a place of peace and tolerance is not their fault either.

They’re not a swarm, bringing discord and terror in their wake. They’re coming here precisely because there is little of either.

5) It’s our fault

There was a building in Calais where asylum seeker claims could be processed. Health was checked, children were fed, women were protected from rape.

No-one had to die under trains or drown in the world’s busiest shipping lane. Unworthy claims were thrown out before they set foot on British soil, and the ones who genuinely needed help got it.

In 2002, we told the French to close it.

And we put up a fence.

Then we bombed Libya, were unable to pick a side in Syria, complained about Somalia, did nothing at all about Eritrea while mining it of resources and watched the Arab Spring install schismatic warlords all over the Middle East.

It’s hardly a surprise some of them want to come here, if only to lodge a formal complaint.

6) We’re idiots

We cut resources for our border agency, which means there are only a few people at a time to check lorries at Calais. This means the queue backs up, the lorries have to stop, and immigrants have the opportunity to clamber aboard.

We put up better fences at the ferry terminal, which means those same people have gone to the Eurotunnel terminal instead.

We’re putting up more fences there, so now they’re cutting the normal fences further away and walking up the track. 
We’re going to have to put up steel fencing all the way to Tripoli at this rate, and that still won’t stop it.

7) Crime is due to motivation, not opportunity

They’re not coming here because of some idle urge, like picking up a fiver dropped in the road. They’re coming because what’s behind them is utterly awful.

That’s not a tide. It’s an extremely small exodus.

8) Troops will not help

In Eritrea, the government is accused of being involved in sexual slavery, murder and forced labour. People must do 18 months’ national service in the army at 18 but are not allowed to leave for a decade. Anyone who refuses is considered a traitor and given the death penalty.

In Somalia, citizens have a government which refuses to hold elections on one side and Al Shebaab’s terror group on the other.

As for Libya and Syria… these people have seen enough of soldiers. Let’s not throw any more at them.

9) Every single refugee in Calais would be a better British citizen than Nigel Farage

The refugees are degree-educated (Nigel isn’t), capable of speaking half a dozen languages (Nigel’s not), and have worked very hard to get there (Nigel takes part in less than half of all votes in a job he gets paid £109,000 a year to do). 

Their camp in Calais contains a cafe, mosques, a church, paintings, and cut flowers.

Immigrants, by definition and throughout history, are people who move great distances for a better life for themselves and their children. America was founded on immigrants and seems to have done quite well.

Nigel’s home is 2.3miles from the place where he was born and 92% of the electorate didn’t vote for him.

As immigration point systems go, the refugees are winning.

There is no swarm. There are no hordes. There are merely a handful of people who’ve had the wit and resources to get as far away from genocide, slavery, rape and murder as they possibly can.

There is Samira Ahmed, aged 27, whose father was a political activist in Eritrea and was killed when she was a baby. She sleeps under a tree and says: “I just want a happy life.”

Martin-talks-with-Samira-Ahmed-from-Erit

This is Samira. She looks harmless

There is the unnamed 16-year-old girl who was knocked down and killed by a car at the ferry terminals. There are the two Sudanese men in hospital with gruesome injures after being hit by trains.

There is the doctor from Darfur clinging on to a lorry axle who says Britain will welcome him. There is 17-year-old Aida from Eritrea who walked from Greece to Calais.

There is Mouaz al-Balkhi, a Syrian student who bought a wetsuit to swim the Channel and was never seen again.

They don’t want to hurt us. They don’t want to steal or squat. They just want a place to rest.

Yet we threaten troops, we build higher fences, we define them by a collective noun and demand the French do something about the terrible disaster on our doorstep.

It confounds logic to have our politicians commemoriate Holocaust Memorial Day while talking about sending a small number of desperate, clever, useful people back to the Nazis they’re fleeing.

It boils my bowels to hear people talking about troops and fences and walls when what we need is to find our soul.

I am not proud of this. I am not proud to see my government treat the needy like a leech to be brushed aside.

I do not want my taxes spent on barbed wire when they could more usefully be spent on an immigration centre, diplomacy, or nation building.

And I do not want to hear one more person talk about floodgates.

There is no flood.
There is a drought.

That’s the crisis, there’s your disaster – the paucity of compassion, the poverty of thought, the total lack of humanity from a nation which, for all our faults, has always had a heart.

Until now.

• Upvote 7

If it is true that the government cut spending on processing all the people, then the backlog we are seeing was inevitable. From their side, they get to spend less money on something, which creates a problem, which then allows them to bring in some fucktarded solution. It's almost like they did it on purpose.

It's OK.  "Call me Dave" has rolled his sleeves up and convened a COBRA Emergency Committee.  (Kind of like the most boring ever version of Avengers Assemble.)  This is the committee that was established to deal with major crises threatening the country, such as terrorism, natural disasters or traffic delays in parts of Kent.

• Upvote 2

It's OK.  "Call me Dave" has rolled his sleeves up and convened a COBRA Emergency Committee.  (Kind of like the most boring ever version of Avengers Assemble.)  This is the committee that was established to deal with major crises threatening the country, such as terrorism, natural disasters or traffic delays in parts of Kent.

That should keep those damn pesky migrants out

o-TORY-AVENGERS-facebook.jpg

• Upvote 4

I've never been either; unless Barnet; Hitchin, Elstree or Wembley count?

I'm sure London is boss for certain things, my Mrs loves it, but I know what I don't like in a place, I don't like places that are super busy, noisy, crowded, impersonal and expensive. I don't need to go to London to know it's all of these things.  

Couple of points to consider...

The reason you see mostly young men in this position is because most families in troubled areas consider the migrant journey too dangerous for women and young girls. Families will pool their resources to pay smuggling gangs to get a young man on his way, in the hope that their son/brother/etc will make it to somewhere better, get settled and either send money back to the family or bring them out after him.

The main reason people want to come from France to Britain before making asylum claims is because they've been sold a lie, a fantasy really, about what will happen when they get here. The gangs smuggling people into and around Europe tell their victims that when they get to Britain they'll be handed a nice house, a whack of money, a job, etc., just for turning up in the UK. It's hardly a coincidence they make this story up about Britain -- it's the farthest place on the continent from the migrants' point of entry, so smugglers can keep extorting vulnerable people all the way across. The reality is that the provisions for refugees and asylum seekers are almost identical in France and Britain, and in some cases they're actually better in France, but people who've made the journey are too desperate by this point not to believe what they've been told, so they try to fight their way into the UK by any means possible.

Just a bit of context.

I'm not denying your articulate post but when one considers that these blokes are risking their lives and indeed dying for the last stage of the journey they would perhaps consider staying put in France/Italy.

Some of the dimmest people I have ever met have been clued up on gossip. My thoughts would be that if the image of the UK as a paradise was a false one the first people to know would be those looking to travel here.

I'm sure London is boss for certain things, my Mrs loves it, but I know what I don't like in a place, I don't like places that are super busy, noisy, crowded, impersonal and expensive. I don't need to go to London to know it's all of these things.  

Out of interest, what do you make of other big European cities?

But there are also quiet, friendly, empty places where you can relax and breathe, and make small talk at the bar. But then you wouldn't know that if you hadn't been. You are right on the expensive bit though.

Out of interest, what do you make of other big European cities?

Only really been to Amsterdam, Oslo and Stuttgart, thought they were all pretty sound although obviously a lot smaller. New York is the only city I've been to that's comparable in size, has all the same negatives of London but the plus points of looking stunning. 

Am I the only one that finds the Parisians alright? I found them reasonably helpful when I used my limited French to ask them something. They weren't wankers anyway. Any of the pubs (rip off for a pint) that I went into contained pretty sound people. Likewise, I find New Yorkers to be sound as fuck with a boss sense of humour. Maybe, I'm just hard as fuck that they don't want to piss me off :)

By and large capital cities aren't as friendly as the rest of a country. The only capital cities I've ever been where the people have really stood out for their friendliness is probably Istanbul, Berlin or Dublin. Regional cities I find the best and rural places by far the best for hospitality.

London is way more unfriendly than Paris imo - can you imagine a French bloke asking a few Cockneys for directions to the nearest Travelodge!

• Upvote 1

Only really been to Amsterdam, Oslo and Stuttgart, thought they were all pretty sound although obviously a lot smaller. New York is the only city I've been to that's comparable in size, has all the same negatives of London but the plus points of looking stunning. 

I've not been to Oslo or Stuttgart. Amsterdam I didn't really see enough of beyond the touristy bits, which presumably aren't very representative.

Paris, Milan, and to a lesser extent Madrid, felt similar to London. Some elements of 1984, rude zombies either ignoring or sneering. Barcelona and Rome are the fucking nuts though.