You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

This business in Calais

Baltar

I don't see why the British or French governments don't just bomb the fuckers. They've already bombed their home countries of Syria, Libya, Afghanistan, Iraq etc etc.. it's the reason they've fled afterall.

If it's ok to bomb them in their own countries surely it's fair game to just bomb them in their own backyard where they don't have to answer to anyone?

Seems reasonable enough to me? How dare they try to make a better lives for themselves away from the mess the west created. Disgusting.

Or even better, just bomb France, superb scenes.

Looking at it from a purely observational position, I note that there appears to be few women and children among the migrants you see trying to gain entry to lorries and the tunnel, which suggests that there is more going on than people fleeing war zones. The majority appear to be young and male.

Stu when I was there last week the overwhelming number there were economic migrants. Must have been a desperate reason to cause the group of Vietnamese I saw to flee in the night....

Since when did wanting to better yourself become a crime?

Isnt that what we're all encouraged to do? And to repeat my point earlier, isnt that what Norman Tebbitt encouraged the 'unemployed' to do in the 80s? So, maybe its ok to move around in your own country and for us to travel abroad but lets not let anyone else share and enjoy our comparative wealth

Not that I know of.

It was simply that he wasn't funny in 1999 as he views have always been disgusting.

I will never forget being invited to stay with one of  Mr Champ's mates and his new missus and them putting one of his videos on, it was a long time ago, and laughing all the way through it. It was excruciating

Couple of points to consider...

The reason you see mostly young men in this position is because most families in troubled areas consider the migrant journey too dangerous for women and young girls. Families will pool their resources to pay smuggling gangs to get a young man on his way, in the hope that their son/brother/etc will make it to somewhere better, get settled and either send money back to the family or bring them out after him.

The main reason people want to come from France to Britain before making asylum claims is because they've been sold a lie, a fantasy really, about what will happen when they get here. The gangs smuggling people into and around Europe tell their victims that when they get to Britain they'll be handed a nice house, a whack of money, a job, etc., just for turning up in the UK. It's hardly a coincidence they make this story up about Britain -- it's the farthest place on the continent from the migrants' point of entry, so smugglers can keep extorting vulnerable people all the way across. The reality is that the provisions for refugees and asylum seekers are almost identical in France and Britain, and in some cases they're actually better in France, but people who've made the journey are too desperate by this point not to believe what they've been told, so they try to fight their way into the UK by any means possible.

Just a bit of context.

• Upvote 12

The reason you see mostly young men in this position is because most families in troubled areas consider the migrant journey too dangerous for women and young girls. Families will pool their resources to pay smuggling gangs to get a young man on his way, in the hope that their son/brother/etc will make it to somewhere better, get settled and either send money back to the family or bring them out after him.

Just a bit of context.

Cheers. Can you point me in the direction of where this information comes from? I ask because I made my initial observation based on the difference between families and people of all ages fleeing warzones to camps set up in neighbouring countries, and what we see in Calais.

Cheers. Can you point me in the direction of where this information comes from? I ask because I made my initial observation based on the difference between families and people of all ages fleeing warzones to camps set up in neighbouring countries, and what we see in Calais.

Not necessarily the font of all knowledge but there was a programme on R5 this morning dealing with the situation in Calais and illegal entry into the UK more generally. There was a feature on an Afghani lad who had arrived in Britain as an unaccompanied minor in just the situation as described by Son of L8. His family had paid  traffickers to take him to Britain after they had told him of the good life he would have here...in the process claiming the maximum amount of money from them 

Yeah certainly mate. It comes from a variety of places, the most thorough source tends to come from publications of charities working with the issue although good journalism like Champ mentioned can corroborate the evidence. I'm tapping on my phone in the park right now, buy I'll try to sort you some good sources when I get back.

• Upvote 1

The main reason people want to come from France to Britain before making asylum claims is because they've been sold a lie, a fantasy really, about what will happen when they get here. The gangs smuggling people into and around Europe tell their victims that when they get to Britain they'll be handed a nice house, a whack of money, a job, etc., just for turning up in the UK. It's hardly a coincidence they make this story up about Britain -- it's the farthest place on the continent from the migrants' point of entry, so smugglers can keep extorting vulnerable people all the way across. The reality is that the provisions for refugees and asylum seekers are almost identical in France and Britain, and in some cases they're actually better in France, but people who've made the journey are too desperate by this point not to believe what they've been told, so they try to fight their way into the UK by any means possible.

Just a bit of context.

Thanks.

I see David Cameron has referred to the migrants as a 'swarm' today, if he'd watched The Thick of It, he could've avoided dropping that particular bollock.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33713268

He's given British holiday makers assurances though so we're all fucking good.

Twat.

Also, while the UKBA keeps repeating its platitude about each case being treated on its own merits (as it undoubtedly should) this cunt unilaterally decides to welch on the country's obligations under the UN Refugee Convention by throwing a blanket refusal of safe haven to everyone currently in Calais.

Evil, racist shitehawk.

They are economic migrants surely, not asylum seekers.

More needs to be done to remove the reasons they are leaving home, more support from local nation in the Middle East.

True - the economies of Ethiopia, Syria, Afghanistan, Eritrea, Libya, etc. are really quite poor.

If they want asylum why not claim it in France? I've nothing against immigration, we'd be fucked without it.

Ask them.

Most will say because they don't speak French.  Some will say because they have family in the UK.  Some will say because France is increasingly becoming a horrible bigoted shithole where it's dangerous to be swarthy.

Then again, most will probably say it's because of all the benefits and free council mansions that they all get given as soon as they arrive in this country.  (It's absolutely true, because I read it in the Daily Mail.)

As far as I'm aware travelling to the UK and claiming asylum isn't a crime, entering the country as an illegal immigrant is. If that's the rule fair enough, it's the same for us going to other countries in the same circumstances.

So, at the airport in Syria or Afghanistan or wherever, when they check your passport and ask the purpose of your journey to the UK, you say "To seek asylum, because I'm an opponent of the government and I fear for my life".  Nice and legal.  What could possibly go wrong?