You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boston

PestiRed

Working in the States for a week or two and looks like I'll get my weekend off in Boston

All tips on where to go and what to do are gratefully received

Where are you staying? We stayed at the Omni Parker when we went which is right near Boston Common.

You can walk to a lot of places but the public transport system is pretty good too so don't rule that out, we bought what is called a 'Charlie card' at the subway station which is basically like an Oyster card that they use in London. If you get one of those you can get pretty much anywhere so we made good use of it and got over to Harvard, the Sam Adams brewery tour, Fenway Park.

I would definitely see downtown so you can take in most of the freedom trail in the space of a couple of hours and you see a lot of pubs, cafes & restaurants along the way. Go down to the waterfront too. 

• Upvote 1

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I can confirm that everything in this thread is true. I wasn't out there for quite a year, because the project I was working on was cut. They actually offered me a promotion but it was doing something I didn't eantvsk we decided to have a holiday in California and consider it, and decided to come home. I like Boston, and the entire state is stunning.

I can confirm that everything in this thread is true. I wasn't out there for quite a year, because the project I was working on was cut. They actually offered me a promotion but it was doing something I didn't eantvsk we decided to have a holiday in California and consider it, and decided to come home. I like Boston, and the entire state is stunning.

So if you had two nights and a day and a half, what would you do? So far I've got the Freedom Trail as a nice way to see the city and I know I want good beer and clams but don't know where to get them

I went to the union oyster house, they did a good feed of clams. See if you can get a seat in JFK's booth

There was also a nice pub a few doors down that did Buffalo wings for 25 cents each, and a decent range of beers

Worth going to Fenway or the Boston Garden if theres a game on as well

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Super Sub

Boston's great. Amazing beer, superb seafood and the town's quite nice. I could live here if the local accent didn't make me want to shove red hot skewers into my ears

Do they all talk like mat Damon and Ben Afleck and have you bumped into them yet?

Legal Seafoods is good. Mind you I haven't been to Boston in years. Could be shite now.

I can confirm that Legal are still pretty good. But not as good as Barking Crab

I wish people here sounded like Damon and Afleck, it would have saved me at least one ear

Guest Super Sub

I can confirm that Legal are still pretty good. But not as good as Barking Crab

I wish people here sounded like Damon and Afleck, it would have saved me at least one ear

What do they sound like you have me intrigued. I have heard the Boston accent and never thought it was that bad tbh.

• 6 years later...

We're going to Boston in December to see her nephew who is studying a while at Harvard and we will then be going on up to Bristol in Vermont. I'm planning a trip to Fenway Park in the few days we are in Boston and will wander around the city.

Does anyone have any New England recommendations preferably not too much of a detour from the route to Vermont? I see Montreal is only about 100 miles from Bristol, is it worth a visit?