You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nostalgia

Total Longo

In the 80's, when Clive Tyldesley worked at Radio City, whenever we won the league they would bring out a highlights of the season tape with all the radio commentaries that he and Gary Bloom did. I've still got the ones from the double season and 1987-88. 

For all his subsequent annoying manc fandom, I'll always love Clive Tyldesley because he was the voice on the radio describing all the away games I could never go to when I was a kid.

Radio City would only ever have second half commentary on whichever of us or Everton were away from home - you would just get updates in the first half or for home matches. I remember during the double season, we were playing West Brom away during the title run-in and it was 1-1 at half time when the fusebox went in our house. I phoned a few of my mates to see if they were home so I could listen to the second half commentary in theirs, but they were all out. My next door neighbour just said "No" because she was a miserable cunt who hated football (probably because me and my brother were constantly hitting her windows playing it outside her house).

So I had the idea of running to the shops in Huyton village because sometimes there'll be one where they have the radio on while they're working. It worked a treat as they had one on in WH Smiths, so I spent 45 minutes pretending I was interested in buying stationery or birthday cards just so I could listen to the second half. 

I gave myself away when Rushie scored, but the women behind the till weren't arsed as they were just gabbing between themselves. 

assume you didnt listen to radio  city on 15/4/1989... that c--t was commentating... disgrace...

• 4 weeks later...

when we used to taunt the  Blue Noses for their lack of loyalty for whoever was in charge - "taxi for Catterick" and this little ditty which was only applied for one season and only really caught on during that pissed May afternoon in The Grand Place:

There was a time last season,

not so long ago,

when all the blue nose bastards,

said Kendall he must go,

now they've won a trophy,

they've all come back with pride,

you fucking blue nose bastards,

you're the shit of Merseyside

Apparently the BS are going to give this an updated rendition at next week's derby 

• Upvote 1

If Rodgers wins us the league - I know, I know - the bitters could sing whatever they wanted, and I really wouldn't give a fuck. The Liverpool I grew up with were about winning trophies. Sticking with both players and managers too long, who've reached their sell-by date out of some form of misguided loyalty, is what's resulted in decades without a league win. Rafa, I think was the exception there, but this post isn't about revisiting that argument.

When Shanks or Paisley saw a need for change they were ruthless. They were winners. There was never any need for us fans to criticise or not support the team or the manger as they were all natural competitors and winners. It wasn't becuase we were better fans, it was because . . . well, what did we have to be fucked off about? As a kid I honestly thought our nickname was 'champions' as that's all I heard our fans singing.

I'm fed up with us accepting and allowing mediocrity in every facet of this club, from ownership through to management, recruitment and the players who turn out for us. Genuinely, what loyalty are any of them due? It sounds a daft question. The retort must be, that's what supporting is about. But, why support people who I see as failing my club. Who genuinely gives 100% all the time, who refuses to accept defeat, who actually looks like a defeat or poor result actually affects them? I'm talking everyone here. Owners, coaching staff, players?

I don't want a manager to come in and moan about an unlevel playing field when they get the job primarily by saying how they will be able to overachieve - to broach the gap with those teams who have better financial resources. I don't want players continually telling me how things need to improve and then serving up the same shite yet again. I'm going to have a totally different outlook to some of the supporters on here. Living away for 12 years and being distanced from Anfield will do that, but trying to make me feel bad about recognising when enough is enough? Nah, fuck that. A few homes truths and some straight talking is long overdue at this club. I'm not even talking about winning the league here, just seeing a team that is well run and where everyone is geared to making us as competetive as we possibly can be, that'd be a start.

• Upvote 8

This.  Gutted we never got to win it.  We had the perfect song, too, when we lost the semi in the mid-Nineties.

cup-winners-cup.jpg

"This could be Rotterdam or Wembley, Liverpool or Rome, 'Cos when we get to Rotterdam, We'll bring the cup back home"

It was never to be.

Also...

Buying the pink Echo in town after the match.  I remember in the early Nineties going to a match with a Spanish mate who was on a flying visit (we beat Arsenal, I think) and then introducing him to chips afterwards and then totally blowing his mind with a pink Echo - "this is the match we just watched?"

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Sensible Soccer was by far and away the best football game ever and will ever be. And the Word of Soccer edition took it to another level

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/nov/12/sensible-soccer-returns-sociable-soccer

Sensible Soccer returns with ‘spiritual successor’ Sociable Soccer

Original developer Jon Hare launches Kickstarter campaign, looking for £300k to revive classic football game for PC, Xbox One and PS4

31240773-2bc8-417b-9b42-e3e46f5a5b1f-bes  

Sensible Soccer and Sensible World of Soccer remain two of the world’s most revered football games, decades after their release. Now their creator Jon Hare is reviving them under a new name.

Hare has launched a Kickstarter crowdfunding campaign to raise at least £300,000 to make Sociable Soccer, which he describes as “the spiritual successor to Sensible Soccer”. The game is slated to launch in late 2016 for PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4.

ccc0847b-4d73-44f6-b664-c29a1dce908c-540

“Sociable Soccer will be crafted with the same meticulous attention to detail as the very finest Sensible Software titles, to deliver a peerless gameplay experience across all platforms,” claimed its Kickstarter pitch.

Hare is building a team including developers that have worked on projects including Max Payne, Alan Wake and The Walking Dead: No Man’s Land to make the new game, promising familiarly fast-paced action with an online multiplayer mode and clan-based leagues.

“Sociable Soccer Clans are teams of player avatars grouped together under team names such as ‘Death Metal Kids’, ‘Surfboarders United’ and ‘Cambridge Old Boys’ the control and progress of clan teams is shared by the players who are represented there by their player avatars.

The game will feature over 500 National, Club and Custom teams with over 10,000 researched player names. Team names, player names and kits used in game will be similar to the majority of popular titles on the market and fully editable.”

Hare said he was confident that Sociable Soccer can compete with the big-budget modern football games on consoles.

“Competing with FIFA and PES requires much more than just a remake, it needs a different take on football games altogether, blending the instant playability of yesteryear with the power of modern technology,” he said.

Kickstarter backers can pay at least £12 to secure a copy of the game, rising to £5,000 to fly to Finland to meet Sociable Soccer’s development team and “jump into an ice lake, eat reindeer, drink beer”.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/nov/12/sensible-soccer-returns-sociable-soccer

Sensible Soccer returns with ‘spiritual successor’ Sociable Soccer

Original developer Jon Hare launches Kickstarter campaign, looking for £300k to revive classic football game for PC, Xbox One and PS4

31240773-2bc8-417b-9b42-e3e46f5a5b1f-bes  

Sensible Soccer and Sensible World of Soccer remain two of the world’s most revered football games, decades after their release. Now their creator Jon Hare is reviving them under a new name.

Hare has launched a Kickstarter crowdfunding campaign to raise at least £300,000 to make Sociable Soccer, which he describes as “the spiritual successor to Sensible Soccer”. The game is slated to launch in late 2016 for PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4.

ccc0847b-4d73-44f6-b664-c29a1dce908c-540

“Sociable Soccer will be crafted with the same meticulous attention to detail as the very finest Sensible Software titles, to deliver a peerless gameplay experience across all platforms,” claimed its Kickstarter pitch.

Hare is building a team including developers that have worked on projects including Max Payne, Alan Wake and The Walking Dead: No Man’s Land to make the new game, promising familiarly fast-paced action with an online multiplayer mode and clan-based leagues.

“Sociable Soccer Clans are teams of player avatars grouped together under team names such as ‘Death Metal Kids’, ‘Surfboarders United’ and ‘Cambridge Old Boys’ the control and progress of clan teams is shared by the players who are represented there by their player avatars.

The game will feature over 500 National, Club and Custom teams with over 10,000 researched player names. Team names, player names and kits used in game will be similar to the majority of popular titles on the market and fully editable.”

Hare said he was confident that Sociable Soccer can compete with the big-budget modern football games on consoles.

“Competing with FIFA and PES requires much more than just a remake, it needs a different take on football games altogether, blending the instant playability of yesteryear with the power of modern technology,” he said.

Kickstarter backers can pay at least £12 to secure a copy of the game, rising to £5,000 to fly to Finland to meet Sociable Soccer’s development team and “jump into an ice lake, eat reindeer, drink beer”.

Can't wait for this.  Many's a stoned day and night playing this back in the early 90's

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...