You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nostalgia

Total Longo

My memory is fucked - but anyone remember a game in the early 80's was a footy pitch surrounded by a red stand - the pitch had little LED lights on and you keyed in your passes and shots on a little keypad at your end of the pitch. If you had possession your lights lit up and if the computer or your opponent had it theirs did and you would have to win it back by "guessing" right

When you scored a goal "When the reds go marching in played" well a sort of bleeps and blips version did...

I was addicted to it as a kid, but can't for the life of me remember the name of it....

My memory is fucked - but anyone remember a game in the early 80's was a footy pitch surrounded by a red stand - the pitch had little LED lights on and you keyed in your passes and shots on a little keypad at your end of the pitch. If you had possession your lights lit up and if the computer or your opponent had it theirs did and you would have to win it back by "guessing" right

When you scored a goal "When the reds go marching in played" well a sort of bleeps and blips version did...

I was addicted to it as a kid, but can't for the life of me remember the name of it....

"Jimmy" - i had that as well, seemed boss at the time, probably wasn't really though.

• Upvote 1

Not having to pay extortionate prices for what was once virtually free.

Nostalgia indeed.

Or fact that the live football on the box in the 70s/80s didnt have the score permanantly on the screen. You'd come in mid way through and have to gauge what the score is by the fans making the most noise- not like Radio 5live now.

Either that, or if you were a bit posh, you could always check-

303.gif

• Upvote 1

The internet changed everything. I remember calling clubcall at 30p a minute or whatever it was to find out who Liverpool were about to sign in the summer or calling up Shoot magazine to register my Fantasy Football team:

"State your first player for your team"

"Ian Wright"

"You said Lars Bohinen. If this is correct press 1, if it isn't press 2"

And those images of ceefax give me such a warm feeling as it was so simple. Barely any rumours, just plain facts and results. There was something about the way league tables looked on ceefax too which was so much better than on a computer screen. I also miss the old BBC vidiprinter and the noise it made as the teams were typed out, the digital version just doesn't have the same raw quality.

It's the little things that have changed. I used to love hearing the half-time and full-time results read out by George, usually with Everton's result last if they'd lost. Nobody had mobile phones and only the odd person would have anything like a radio so nobody knew any of the other scores. These days people know there's been a goal before the ball has even crossed the line as their phones are going off - or worse, people are looking at their phone instead of the actual match in front of them. And of course back then you'd have a full set of fixtures at the same time too.

• Upvote 5

The internet changed everything. I remember calling clubcall at 30p a minute or whatever it was to find out who Liverpool were about to sign in the summer or calling up Shoot magazine to register my Fantasy Football team:

"State your first player for your team"

"Ian Wright"

"You said Lars Bohinen. If this is correct press 1, if it isn't press 2"

And those images of ceefax give me such a warm feeling as it was so simple. Barely any rumours, just plain facts and results. There was something about the way league tables looked on ceefax too which was so much better than on a computer screen. I also miss the old BBC vidiprinter and the noise it made as the teams were typed out, the digital version just doesn't have the same raw quality.

It's the little things that have changed. I used to love hearing the half-time and full-time results read out by George, usually with Everton's result last if they'd lost. Nobody had mobile phones and only the odd person would have anything like a radio so nobody knew any of the other scores. These days people know there's been a goal before the ball has even crossed the line as their phones are going off - or worse, people are looking at their phone instead of the actual match in front of them. And of course back then you'd have a full set of fixtures at the same time too.

This. All of it.

I never rang any of them lines but I always wanted to ring incase Liverpool were about to sign Romario