You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nostalgia

Total Longo

• 1 year later...
9 minutes ago, sir roger said:

We had wallbars all around the gym, but the beams, pommel horse and vault etc.were in an ante room and didn't always come out for lessons.

Didnt you have them out for pirates when it was wet at DLS?  Remember hanging from them wall bars doing leg raises as part of fitness training after being press ganged into the cross country team!!

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, CapeRed said:

Didnt you have them out for pirates when it was wet at DLS?  Remember hanging from them wall bars doing leg raises as part of fitness training after being press ganged into the cross country team!!

I wasn't in the year with the pirates, CR.

Yes the football circuit training used to be full on, with them seeing who could do leg and knee raises for longest while hanging off the wallbars. Some of the lads could barely straighten up when they finished. Looking back I cynically wonder if the 'over zealous' training was really necessary for 14 year old lads.

An older lad warned me about trying my best in the first cross country run in case I got in the team, so I called into the little shop by the Dog and Gun ( Rodericks ? ) and ambled in safely near the middle of the pack.

I used to get in first on the first day of the school year to claim the back desk by the window to watch the house football games last two periods of the day.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

Yes the football circuit training used to be full on, with them seeing who could do leg and knee raises for longest while hanging off the wallbars. Some of the lads could barely straighten up when they finished. Looking back I cynically wonder if the 'over zealous' training was really necessary for 14 year old lads.

An older lad warned me about trying my best in the first cross country run in case I got in the team, so I called into the little shop by the Dog and Gun ( Rodericks ? ) and ambled in safely near the middle of the pack.

I used to get in first on the first day of the school year to claim the back desk by the window to watch the house football games last two periods of the day.

When I was at DLS the top 10 finishers in the CC run (which went past Melwood) were allowed to play footy in the gym the following week.

• Upvote 2

I might have tried if that had been the rule for my yea, Stringy.. From memory there were two routes

' The West Derby ' up Muirhead, through West Derby village, down Meadow Lane and across Dwerryhouse back.

' Melwood ' Down Carr Lane East, along Crocky Hall Lane past the Training ground and Meadow Lane again.

Was gutted when they said Melwood..

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I might have tried if that had been the rule for my yea, Stringy.. From memory there were two routes

' The West Derby ' up Muirhead, through West Derby village, down Meadow Lane and across Dwerryhouse back.

' Melwood ' Down Carr Lane East, along Crocky Hall Lane past the Training ground and Meadow Lane again.

except you could climb on the wall and watch the training

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, sir roger said:

Yeah , wished somebody had warned me about cross country trials. Good call on the window desks highly sought back then.

14 hours ago, sir roger said:

On the days we couldn’t play footy the run was down Muirhead, left at the tech college then through Earl of Derby estate , crocky hall lane, deerryhouse and back to DLS

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...