You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

FSG are not shit

Dave D

The trophy haul and CL qualification record during their ownership is pitiful and speaks for itself.  During this time they have appointed four different managers and altered the structure on the recruitment side of things, firstly with a director of football and then a transfer committee.  However, the results have broadly been the same.

Incoming transfers have mostly been driven by the sales of players such as Torres, Sterling and Suarez.  Not once have they pushed the boat out and taken risks without being dependent upon sales or CL qualification, this summer being the latest example when the spending only really accelerated after Hoffenheim (and even then we must wait another year before seeing Keita in action).

In that context I think it could be argued that they are inhibiting us from reaching our full potential.

• Upvote 2

Outspent by Brighton and Hove Albion. Couldn't make it up.

Yep.

Another poor transfer window, as a result of the limitations that they've placed within the club.

That's seven summer transfer windows, now, and the record is staggeringly bad. I'm not interested in pretending that is a giant coincidence.

• Upvote 2

Great post by AWS.

At best, all owners are amoral. Their needs will always supersede our needs, and FSG have made it quite clear from day one that they are not benefactors. 

But, i'm not really bothered about transfer spend - 25 years of shit signings, expensive and cheap, i'm more interested in how good the players bought are. Ali would have cost  next to nothing, and I am sure the club would have been hammered for buying 'potential' had he signed for £7m, and Kante would have been another 'punt' that equally, fans do not want. So, the spend isn't an issue for me - it will only be an issue if we are crying out for players and money is not made available, as it stands they haven't done that. 

VVD was Klopp's decision. Whatever the fuck up - it is he who is prepared to wait for what he sees as top class quality, rather than a substandard alternative. That in itself isn't particularly a bad thing - I think the main issue issue seems to be how highly rated Lovren is. Had he fucked off and cover brought in regardless of VVD then, i'm sure we'd be a lot happier. They are not good enough in recruitment - something that they need to be one of the best at. 

How much have Spurs spent? Arsenal? We can be successful without spending loads. All I want is a self-sufficient club, able to spend big on a player when needed, but one that also has a reputation in developing it's own players. If that takes longer then fine, personally to me it will also be far more satisfying. I can't wait for the derby when we finally see what £150m gets Everton. 

Great post by AWS.

Agreed.

I would be in favor of fan ownership because it's not natural that something people feel so passionately about can be somebody's asset, but even then you would have to balance the books and spend as much as you have earned. As long as FSG are not seen taking money out of the club, I don't see much difference, you'd have elections and it is quite possible that the most populist bunch of cunts full of unrealistic promises would and up running /ruining  the club until they are forced out by another bunch.

For me, the issue with FSG is more who they are appointing how the club is run, transfers and quality of our scouting, than the money and ambition. Why we wasted the entire summer chasing VVD or better yet, what actually happened there, I don't think it is just down to the owners.  

Liverpool fans defending a hedge fund for not financially destroying us, when we're a couple of players and some ambition away from being a real force.

What a time to be alive. 

For starters they are not a hedge fund, and as hedge fund is primarily used as a pejorative i'm guessing you know what you are saying. This isn't a defence of them, just pointing out that there is a world of difference between a hedge fund and an investment group. 

Agreed.

I would be in favor of fan ownership because it's not natural that something people feel so passionately about can be somebody's asset, but even then you would have to balance the books and spend as much as you have earned. As long as FSG are not seen taking money out of the club, I don't see much difference, you'd have elections and it is quite possible that the most populist bunch of cunts full of unrealistic promises would and up running /ruining  the club until they are forced out by another bunch.

For me, the issue with FSG is more who they are appointing how the club is run, transfers and quality of our scouting, than the money and ambition. Why we wasted the entire summer chasing VVD or better yet, what actually happened there, I don't think it is just down to the owners.  

Fan ownership looks an attractive option because it is popular in Germany. It's interesting to note that after years of being shafted and 2 or 3 times in administration, portsmouth fans decided they'd go the fan ownership route to rescue their club.

They've recently sold their shares to an ex disneyworld executive or something.

Id also question how much people would have to put into the club to be able to compete with the likes of mansour at city and PSG's owners.

As for bargain basement signings, try Klavan, Karius and Robertson on for size.  All signed for a relative pittance in today's market. Two of them can't get in the team. 

Can, Coutinho, Sturridge, Clyne! 

Klavan was never anything other than cover, and Robertson will be first choice by Christmas. 

If you include Matip, it kind of changes the picture

Milner was on a free - its not a pittance as the signing on bonus often weighs it out.

But the idea that we have been far less effective in the transfer market than the majority of other teams is a fallacy. We have bought Suarez, Coutinho, Firmino and Mane (and still to see Salah) in succession - one amongst the best players I have ever seen play  - the others at the very top of attackers in this league. All clubs bring in stinkers - all clubs botch deals.

If my auntie had wheels, she'd be a bicycle. 

Yeah and Im sure your auntie told you what an example was. Point is, if we'd have signed them you'd be droning on about signing unproven cheap players rather than dreaming of one of your parents siblings on a velocipede.

Our scouts are good.

No, wait... they’re the other thing.

Whoooooooooooooooooosh!

Yeah and Im sure your auntie told you what an example was. Point is, if we'd have signed them you'd be droning on about signing unproven cheap players rather than dreaming of one of your parents siblings on a velocipede.

Whoooooooooooooooooosh!

We didn't sign them 12 months ago, and I'd dream about her on a velociraptor, but a velocipede would show a lack of ambition on my part.

• Upvote 1