You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

FSG are not shit

Dave D

Its just ultimatly boils down to FSG run the club. They have to take the flak when things go wrong and take the plaudits when things go right. Obviously the manager is key to that. But they are the ones who employ him.

Whatever has gone on this summer it hasn't been good enough by a long shot.

If it is true that Klopp wants only plan A players and won't consider plan B players then FSG are fucking stupid for allowing that to happen, surely Edwards role is to advise JWH about what is best for LFC.. waiting for plan A players until next season is not what is best for the club.

Unless there's still a chance that plan A might still happen? The windows isn't shut, most people on here are having premature breakdowns because there's seemingly no plan B, perhaps there's a reason for that? Best wait until next week before all going off on one. I'm reserving judgement until then anyway.

If it is true that Klopp wants only plan A players and won't consider plan B players then FSG are fucking stupid for allowing that to happen, surely Edwards role is to advise JWH about what is best for LFC.. waiting for plan A players until next season is not what is best for the club.

Or perhaps the alternatives suggested to Klopp do not fit what he's looking for in a player, and because of the ridiculous set-up of the club (again FSG's fault) no one is able to make a decision so we're in limbo.

Shit set-up or lack of funds, FSG's fault either way.

Plus, Klopp would have to be stupid and know sod all about football to rely on bringing in VVD and Keita in 5 or 12 months. He's not stupid, and he knows a lot about football.

Unless there's still a chance that plan A might still happen? The windows isn't shut, most people on here are having premature breakdowns because there's seemingly no plan B, perhaps there's a reason for that? Best wait until next week before all going off on one. I'm reserving judgement until then anyway.

Thing is we've been down this road before with people saying wait and see. And we've waited and seen fuck all happen only to be told lets see what happens in the next window. Its totally bonkers!

• Upvote 1

Thing is we've been down this road before with people saying wait and see. And we've waited and seen fuck all happen only to be told lets see what happens in the next window. Its totally bonkers!

Why would we think 'let's see what happens in the next window' when this window is still open? I'm not going to start throwing a thrombie just yet.

I think something would have to give this time. We should have no excuses left if we get through to the CL proper with a world class manager in place.

Unfortunately it will probably go in the same order as before 1) turn on the manager 2) turn on the owners. Equally unfortunately we're not really in a position to help get rid of these owners, last time it only happened because RBS turned the screw, that's impossible this time. So stage 3) will probably be the majority finally accepting what we have become under the last two lots of American owners, a selling club, also runs.

Why would we think 'let's see what happens in the next window' when this window is still open? I'm not going to start throwing a thrombie just yet.

I mean fuck all happens then we're told at the end wait and see in the next window. We've genuinely been in this exact same situation in several transfer windows before.

Thats why people are throwing their toys out of the pram. Not for shits and gigs.

I am not throwing any sort of "thrombie", I am just saying that as responsible custodians of the football club it is FSG's (and therefore Edwards) job to ensure what is best for LFC. I agree Klopp knows more about football than we do and I am a big fan of his but I am shocked that after what promised to be a great transfer window with quality additions we are 2 weeks from it closing and we have signed a relegated defender, a young unproven striker and a decent wide player.. I am sure things are happening behind the scenes, I just think those things involve yachting magazines and mooring locations rather than scout reports.

I get that people are pissed off the that we haven't spent big money after keeping the powder dry for 2 seasons. I was expecting big things and had the theory down to us blowing money on shite previously because we couldn't attract top players due to not being in the champions league. We haven't spent much again and everyone points the finger at the owners.

It just doesn't add up for me though. We bid 60 odd million for Keita. We had also ear marked Van Dijk who even if they expected to get on the cheap was at least another 50m. That doesn't say to me that they aren't willing to spend. So why haven't we spent any money then?

There are only really a few possible reasons. They think these deals can still happen and don't want to revert to second choices. Klopp refuses to buy second choices to the marquee signings and/or doesn't think there any. FSG are stopping Klopp from buying second choices as they don't want the money wasted. I really don't see this as likely at all though as we've bought Robertson this summer (although I've said I rate him and thought he would surprise people, had all the signs of being similar to one of those squad filler signings from the committee era from the POV of non football men like FSG).

The only thing I think you could then accuse them of is not forcing Klopp to buy players or forcing players on him because the squad is clearly not big enough. I don't think Klopp would be too happy with that though and you would get people whinging as much about that as anything else. You'd also have non football people overruling the people you've brought in to run the football and that is never a good thing.

• Upvote 2

I get that people are pissed off the that we haven't spent big money after keeping the powder dry for 2 seasons. I was expecting big things and had the theory down to us blowing money on shite previously because we couldn't attract top players due to not being in the champions league. We haven't spent much again and everyone points the finger at the owners.

It just doesn't add up for me though. We bid 60 odd million for Keita. We had also ear marked Van Dijk who even if they expected to get on the cheap was at least another 50m. That doesn't say to me that they aren't willing to spend. So why haven't we spent any money then?

There are only really a few possible reasons. They think these deals can still happen and don't want to revert to second choices. Klopp refuses to buy second choices to the marquee signings and/or doesn't think there any. FSG are stopping Klopp from buying second choices as they don't want the money wasted. I really don't see this as likely at all though as we've bought Robertson this summer (although I've said I rate him and thought he would surprise people, had all the signs of being similar to one of those squad filler signings from the committee era from the POV of non football men like FSG).

The only thing I think you could then accuse them of is not forcing Klopp to buy players or forcing players on him because the squad is clearly not big enough. I don't think Klopp would be too happy with that though and you would get people whinging as much about that as anything else. You'd also have non football people overruling the people you've brought in to run the football and that is never a good thing.

As you allude to, I think Klopp has decided keita and van dijk are his number one choices for those positions in his ultimate team and not simply his primary targets this season. As such, I believe for at least one of these players his position, if not both, is, this player and no one else.

Whether people buy into it or not, Klopp likes to develop his players, he's never been a cheque book manager like mourinho or guardiola etc who just look to buy in their 'team.' He'll evolve his team not have a revolution.

As you allude to, I think Klopp has decided keita and van dijk are his number one choices for those positions in his ultimate team and not simply his primary targets this season. As such, I believe for at least one of these players his position, if not both, is, this player and no one else.

Whether people buy into it or not, Klopp likes to develop his players, he's never been a cheque book manager like mourinho or guardiola etc who just look to buy in their 'team.' He'll evolve his team not have a revolution.

This is getting ridiculous now. Klopp loves to develop players however there currently aren't enough players in the squad to develop. It's ridiculous to suggest he'd rather not strengthen the squad having already said it is too thin. And do you really think he's stupid enough to presume he can get VVD and Keita in 5 or 12 months? Come on, that really really doesn't add up, it's the least logical suggestion of all.
  • Upvote 1

This is getting ridiculous now. Klopp loves to develop players however there currently aren't enough players in the squad to develop. It's ridiculous to suggest he'd rather not strengthen the squad having already said it is too thin. And do you really think he's stupid enough to presume he can get VVD and Keita in 5 or 12 months? Come on, that really really doesn't add up, it's the last logical suggestion of all.

So how do you explain it? Why was the money available for them now not available?

So how do you explain it? Why was the money available for them now not available?

Two possible explanations.

The money was never really available, which wouldn't surprise me but I am very sceptical about FSG.

Or more likely Hobson's Choice. This bullshit transfer committee /Edwards spreadsheet situation that might be bringing unpalatable alternatives to Klopp. If the choice is a bunch of players Klopp does not rate or no-one then he has to go for no-one.

This is getting ridiculous now. Klopp loves to develop players however there currently aren't enough players in the squad to develop. It's ridiculous to suggest he'd rather not strengthen the squad having already said it is too thin. And do you really think he's stupid enough to presume he can get VVD and Keita in 5 or 12 months? Come on, that really really doesn't add up, it's the last logical suggestion of all.

Why is it ridiculous, because it doesnt fit what you want or expect? The money for the keita and van dijk bids were available. Do you think fsg have told klopp you can have money for those 2 but no one else? Im sure that would go down well with him.

If he believed the squad was thin, why hasnt he brought squad fillers in who would cost a lot less than keita or van dijk would have?

Why is it ridiculous, because it doesnt fit what you want or expect? The money for the keita and van dijk bids were available. Do you think fsg have told klopp you can have money for those 2 but no one else? Im sure that would go down well with him.

If he believed the squad was thin, why hasnt he brought squad fillers in who would cost a lot less than keita or van dijk would have?

It's ridiculous because it's completely illogical. You're the one making an illogical argument to fit your beliefs.

See my reply to another post, above, as to why there 'appears' to be no alternatives.

Maybe FSG would only sanction that kind of money on players both Klopp and Edwards agree on, maybe they don't agree on any /many more at those kind of prices.

But to say a football manager simply does not want to strengthen his squad, having spoken with potential signings, made bids and previously said the squad is too thin, is probably unheard of and definitely not logical.

Seen the salaries at Boston Red Sox?

I hadn't but I just looked it up on Forbes' website. $205m for 2016 and their revenue is $434m making a profit of $78.6m. It looks like they're looking after themselves. I hadn't noticed any cash transfer between Liverpool and there either.

Two possible explanations.

The money was never really available, which wouldn't surprise me but I am very sceptical about FSG.

Or more likely Hobson's Choice. This bullshit transfer committee /Edwards spreadsheet situation that might be bringing unpalatable alternatives to Klopp. If the choice is a bunch of players Klopp does not rate or no-one then he has to go for no-one.

We bid for twice for Keita and that was confirmed by Leipzig. I think the money never being available shout is highly unlikely. The second one is more reasonable. Edwards or whoever is behind the scenes isn't going to be purposely trying to hamper the club though. If Klopp rejects any or all of their suggestions they will surely keep looking for more or listen to Klopps opinion. Eventually it surely falls on Klopp to decide whether it's worth it.

It's ridiculous because it's completely illogical. You're the one making an illogical argument to fit your beliefs.

See my reply to another post, above, as to why there 'appears' to be no alternatives.

Maybe FSG would only sanction that kind of money on players both Klopp and Edwards agree on, maybe they don't agree on any /many more at those kind of prices.

But to say a football manager simply does not want to strengthen his squad, having spoken with potential signings, made bids and previously said the squad is too thin, is probably unheard of and definitely not logical.

So you're saying klopp was told the money was there to fund the purchase of keita and van dijk. That the owners then engineered situations or, situation developed where they wouldnt be buying the 2 said players and presumably when Klopp asks for alternative targets that the money was never really available?

And Im the one forwarding illogical statements!?

Nah, sorry,not having it. As Ive said, Im of the opinion Klopp wants to strengthen and improve his squad but he's not wanting just any old second choice players in.

We still dont know the structures of the bids for Keita and VVD as people have previously mentioned.

66 million has been mentioned for Keita but it could have been 20 up front with 46 in add ons for all we know.

Regardless of that the fact remains we haven't spent when we glaringly need to. We can talk about failed bids all day long but the proof is in the pudding as they say and the pudding is a bit shit thus far this summer. 10 days though things might change.

We still dont know the structures of the bids for Keita and VVD as people have previously mentioned.

66 million has been mentioned for Keita but it could have been 20 up front with 46 in add ons for all we know.

Regardless of that the fact remains we haven't spent when we glaringly need to. We can talk about failed bids all day long but the proof is in the pudding as they say and the pudding is a bit shit thus far this summer. 10 days though things might change.

We havent bought the 2 big targets because the selling clubs wouldnt sell (well one lodged a tapping up complaint before a bid was made).

I think RBL would have been shouting from the roof tops if we'd offered £20m up front and £46m as add ons. We arent barcelona.