You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

FSG are not shit

Dave D

Cuntin' Dognuts

This.

I'm. Not arsed what we pay a player as long as he is performing. We could have signed Costa and if he scored the goals that eon us the league I wouldn't be arsed if during the trophy being lifted he was seen talking with his agent then took his shirt off to reveal an "I love Shangai Sataychickens" (or whatever the fuck they're called) t-shirt. Loyalty is dead in football. I want us winning stuff and as long as clubs who win stuff are bankrolled by billionaires and played for by mercenaries then I'm happy to see us sell our soul to give us them glory days. Footy as we knew it is dead. It's arguably been dead since the summer of 1992 certainly in this country. Leicester winning last year was as romantic as it gets. Even when City won it in the most amazing fashion it didn't really matter because they bought it. Now sell more donuts you yank fucks.

Wasn't Klopp a coach and their sporting director does the buying. It is why I am surprised he has been so vocal about transfer statements at Liverpool.

Im guessing he has taken on a bigger role at Liverpool. Klopp is on record saying something like do you think I watch the 2nd division of Japanese football re Kagawa. This isn't to take anything away from the excellent job he did at Dortmund. He made them more than the sum of their parts.

Reus was 18million euros and at the time was one of the top 7 highest transfer fees paid between German clubs. I'm not certain on this but weren't Dortmund the 2nd highest spenders in Germany in his time there?. Them buying Reus at that price when he was sort after by Bayern; is like us buying Dele Alli from Tottenham for a big fee.

What you're saying about Reus proves my point that Klopp is happy to pay big money if he believes the player will improve his squad.

And a promise from Mourinho.

If a player has to be convinced to sign for you with bags of cash it's not really a player you want at your club and you can't be suprised when he does the same thing a few years later.

It'll be interesting to see what happens in China in that regard and how it affects the players involved if they stay for an extended period.

I generally agree with you, but at the same time I think it's naive for fans to believe the majority of the team - whoever they support - are there purely for romantic reasons.

I think it's probably true that the manager, location, club prestige and future potential etc are all factors too, but the money is probably the single largest factor. If two clubs are offering similar money, then yes, I think the other factors might just swing it.

It's probably also true that if there's no decent manager, no prestige, no hope of trophies etc, then the money might not be enough to swing it, unless a player is at a stage in their career where there's no hope of that anyway - so might as well take the money!

I'd rather throw £200k per week at a hungry player like Griezman, whose got ambition to stay at the top and fuck us off for more money in 3 years from the likes of Barca if we're still shite than give £70k per week to some shitbag like downing who sees us as the pinnacle of his career and downs tools the minute he plays his first game for us.

• Upvote 1

I'd rather throw £200k per week at a hungry player like Griezman, whose got ambition to stay at the top and fuck us off for more money in 3 years from the likes of Barca if we're still shite than give £70k per week to some shitbag like downing who sees us as the pinnacle of his career and downs tools the minute he plays his first game for us.

Thats not really the reality though is it.
  • Downvote 1

I generally agree with you, but at the same time I think it's naive for fans to believe the majority of the team - whoever they support - are there purely for romantic reasons.

I think it's probably true that the manager, location, club prestige and future potential etc are all factors too, but the money is probably the single largest factor. If two clubs are offering similar money, then yes, I think the other factors might just swing it.

It's probably also true that if there's no decent manager, no prestige, no hope of trophies etc, then the money might not be enough to swing it, unless a player is at a stage in their career where there's no hope of that anyway - so might as well take the money!

It's not a choice just between money or the romance of football though. What about the desire to better yourself and constantly striving to improve for starters.

I mentioned China in an earlier post because there have been two recent transfers where both have gone for money but they are completely different circumstances in Oscar and Tevez.

Tevez is winding down his career, he's not going to improve so a move to China seems like a logical step for a last big pay day.

Oscar on the other hand could have gone to any number of clubs where he'd be paid less but the ability to improve his game and challenge himself would be far greater than it would in the Chinese league where he's playing against some players many levels below his ability.

I can understand the motives for Tevez, Oscar on the other hand would raise concerns about his desire for the game.

Maybe Griezman wont be hungry if he gets £200k a week thrown at him?

Posted this in the Transfer thread but seems to apply here regarding signing quality-

Watched a programme about Ian Wrights career last night.

One thing that struck me when they interviewed him, and former players like Seaman and Merson, was how they talked about the arrival of Bergkamp. All of them were in awe of him and they all said he transformed the dressing room because his standards were so high they all lifted themselves and he not only hugely improved how they played, but the mentality of the side as well.

Wright did make me laugh, he said he roomed with Bergkamp-  because Bergkamp wore full pyjamas to bed, he went and bought some as "thats what Dennis did, so it must be right".

Its shows the effect one quality addition can make to a side.

As and aside- Watching Wrights goals made me think he was everything that Sturridge should/could have been 

• Upvote 1

He's got his sights set on wearing united's number 7 shirt, hasnt he?

Yeah, probably cos they've acted like a big club. You can see how it's gone down. They've shit themselves back before Xmas when they were struggling to keep up and have thought fuck this, we need to be back in that champions league asap.

They've identified who the top forwards are who'll be available this summer.

A) Aubameyang B) Neymar C) Griezman.

A) has made noises all year about promising his dad he'll play for Madrid. B) PSG are gonna blow everyone out the water for him C) no way are they letting him go to Barca as well as lose their manager so he's going abroad.

Buy out clause is £85 mill and he wants £300 pwk.

Margianilise Rooney and get him out and there's the wages covered.

No international tournaments next summer so get him in early and market the shit out of him and his best mate pogba and get a world tour of shirt sales to reduce the purchase costs.

Mata and martial will be shipped in the summer and there's the rest of him paid for.

While we'll have been sitting there thinking how can we get 2 kids no one has heard of or seen play like pulisuc and Brandt on the cheap next summer. It's all about ambition and budgeting in the right way instead of being clever which is what we just we won't do.

I'd like us to have been thinking in similar lines like, lets go and get griezman and can we get for sturridge, ings and origi and make up the difference in what we didn't spend last summer, marketing etc. Wasn't that long ago we were outselling everyone shirtwise, we go for a few class acts this summer and they'll look like bargains soon

Isn't some of that stuff clever?

No, that's called being smart. Being clever is selling Suarez and buying Lalanna, Markovic, Balotelli & Lambert for £66m while Chelsea buy experienced class acts like fabregas and Costa for £59 and have the league sewn up by Xmas while we disintegrate

Oh and by "winning stuff" I don't mean the fucking League Cup or the Europa League.

The Europa League would have been a massive achievement for our current squad. As it is we can't even beat fucking Wolves.

Never look down your nose at any trophy. Winning breeds success.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Yeah, probably cos they've acted like a big club. You can see how it's gone down. They've shit themselves back before Xmas when they were struggling to keep up and have thought fuck this, we need to be back in that champions league asap.

They've identified who the top forwards are who'll be available this summer.

A) Aubameyang B) Neymar C) Griezman.

A) has made noises all year about promising his dad he'll play for Madrid. B) PSG are gonna blow everyone out the water for him C) no way are they letting him go to Barca as well as lose their manager so he's going abroad.

Buy out clause is £85 mill and he wants £300 pwk.

Margianilise Rooney and get him out and there's the wages covered.

No international tournaments next summer so get him in early and market the shit out of him and his best mate pogba and get a world tour of shirt sales to reduce the purchase costs.

Mata and martial will be shipped in the summer and there's the rest of him paid for.

While we'll have been sitting there thinking how can we get 2 kids no one has heard of or seen play like pulisuc and Brandt on the cheap next summer. It's all about ambition and budgeting in the right way instead of being clever which is what we just we won't do.

I'd like us to have been thinking in similar lines like, lets go and get griezman and can we get for sturridge, ings and origi and make up the difference in what we didn't spend last summer, marketing etc. Wasn't that long ago we were outselling everyone shirtwise, we go for a few class acts this summer and they'll look like bargains soon

The simple world of Fan economics.