You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

FSG are not shit

Dave D

This as long as they're making cash just doesnt sit with me. They have a successful sports 'franchise' and all yanks love a winner. I dont think theyre in any game just to come second (or in our case 6th!).

I genuinely think they want to try and do things 'smarter' and not just throw shitloads of money they dont have at the club.

That word again 'if' we had won the title the season before last, would people really be saying theyre happy just to make cash?

Yes.

As long as they're making cash they're not arsed how we do on the pitch as they'll be long gone before our "name" is worth nothing. Their transfer philosophy is also a load of bollocks, the better players will just keep fucking off preventing us from ever putting together a really good team. And most people at the club aren't really qualified for their role, deliberately, so that they won't challenge moneybollocks.

Apart from that I love them.

Totally agree ( apart from the loving them bit even in jest !) and have said the same many

times.  Could see immediately that their model of buying young talent was fucking rubbish. Nothing to do with building a team and all to do with sell on values. Well they have fucked that up by buying mostly shite and now we are so far adrift form the top teams in Europe we can't attract the best players even if we tried. We are well and truly in Benteke world these days where we pay through the nose for good but far from the best players.

Only a lottery win City style can get us back to the top now. 

• Upvote 2

Yes they are shit. They're big shitty shitfaced shithouses and I can smell poo poo every time I even read their name. Anyone who disagrees is a money minion fake yesman lizard puppet robot zombie drone clone.

I'll change my mind if we sign Reus, Illarramendi, Kovacic, Canales, Lacazette, and that beardy thing that used to manage Dortmund.

• Upvote 1

Guest Numero Veinticinco

As long as they're making cash they're not arsed how we do on the pitch

Nonsense. The two things are inextricably linked. It\s bullshit conjecture and pointless negativity.

• Upvote 2

If they'd owned other sporting teams and never won fuck all, it'd be mentioned a lot on here to prove they're only in it for the money, etc. Yet they helped break one of the more amazing sporting droughts but it is never held up as proof they want to win.

Totally agree ( apart from the loving them bit even in jest !) and have said the same many

times.  Could see immediately that their model of buying young talent was fucking rubbish. Nothing to do with building a team and all to do with sell on values. Well they have fucked that up by buying mostly shite and now we are so far adrift form the top teams in Europe we can't attract the best players even if we tried. We are well and truly in Benteke world these days where we pay through the nose for good but far from the best players.

Only a lottery win City style can get us back to the top now. 

Whilst I agree with all of that I think we could be considerably better if they had no philosophy at all. No impact whatsoever on what happens with the playing side. Just give the manager £30m net p/a, three year deal, here are your objectives, fuck them up and you're gone. Buy who you want, 18, 28, or 38 year olds, we're not arsed. If you want to spend more on wages then it comes out of the transfer budget or vice versa. Full autonomy and full accountability. No transfer committee, no director of football, just a top CEO that understands the sport, decent scouts, and an experienced manager.

If there is to be any "philosophy" from above it should be to try and convince the manager not to buy eight players every summer, to only buy players that improve the first team, and to use the academy to bulk the squad.

The league is pretty shit. Yeah, the four teams above us spend more money, but often on complete shite. Especially the two Manchester clubs. It really wouldn't take much more than a bit of competency to crack the top four.

• Upvote 6

If they'd owned other sporting teams and never won fuck all, it'd be mentioned a lot on here to prove they're only in it for the money, etc. Yet they helped break one of the more amazing sporting droughts but it is never held up as proof they want to win.

I think it's proof they give a fuck about baseball.

As long as they're making cash they're not arsed how we do on the pitch as they'll be long gone before our "name" is worth nothing. Their transfer philosophy is also a load of bollocks, the better players will just keep fucking off preventing us from ever putting together a really good team. And most people at the club aren't really qualified for their role, deliberately, so that they won't challenge moneybollocks.

Apart from that I love them.

Players will leave regardless. It's what the top players do now, agent in the ear, particularly the Europeans as Madrid and Barca are seen as the pinnacle.

In the same way it's not the owners fault we have piles of shite players who are unable to make the step up if a so called great player leaves.

I have nothing against FSG, but dave, saying they are letting the manager spend good money on the players he wants. that should be a fucking given.

Rodgers has stated on a few occasions that he has final say on all transfers, if he doesnt want them then he says no..

they make money available, but £20-£30m every year when our earnings have been increasing by more than that every year is no something to pat them on the back for, even Moores gave us £20m a year and that was 10 years ago.

If the amount spent is related to the owners wealth/revenue, that would make United's, Chelseas and City's owners far worse than ours.

We take a measured approach as we aren't getting the champions league income that their investment should be yielding by now.

The blame for failing to get that income lies somewhere between Rodgers, Ayre and the training ground- bad/missed signings and players who seem to have no idea what to do when the shit hits the fan on the pitch.

Other the that- I totally agree Rob!

Why do people want to praise people who see the club as an asset to make as much money as possible all whilst doing the minimum they can get away with.

There's a sense in which all (or almost all, barring the likes of Jack Walker) owners are trying to do this. Even the ones who have no real need/desire to make money in a usual business sense (Man City/PSG) still have other PR type motives, to do with putting their countries on the map for tourism and business, and so on.

I would praise FSG because they are doing what they said they would. They are growing revenue streams and backing the manager. There is so much money in the game that their asset is growing, and if and when they sell up, I'm sure they will make a handsome profit. But in the meantime, they are being reasonable custodians of the club. They have also made more progress on the stadium than anyone else in the last 15 years has managed. 

I also quite like the fact that they backed the manager recently. That showed strength to me. Brendan was, rightly, on thin ice, but there would have been something unsatisfactory about sacking him when the second place finish was still fairly fresh in mind. Now things are clear. He has been given the resources to do his job and if he falls short again I'm sure he will be gone. 

I'm not one for gushing praise on the owners. They are just owners! But they are doing what they should be doing, growing the club, making progress with the stadium, backing the manager, providing resources for players etc. They could probably do a bit more for the club, but on the other hand, they could also certainly do a lot less. 

• Upvote 2

If Parry and Moores were still here I doubt we'd have a new stand being built and buying 20-30 million players. FSG are in it for the money - no doubt. But they are clueless when it comes to the day to day. If they were even slightly tuned in we'd be in a much better position given the investment in players over the last 5 years.

In summary: not huge cunts, but clueless cunts

Even Moores and Parry recognised we needed a new stadium (not a facelift) in order to compete moving forward. They made the right decision to admit they couldn't finance it at that time, but they chose the wrong people to sell it to.

The money clubs have now enables a team like Crystal Palace to go and sign Cabaye from PSG, and just being in the top league makes you one of the top 30 wealthiest clubs in world football. 

They are a sports investment company, i think they have done what could be expected, trying to increase the value of what they invested in. They are a hell of a lot better than cancer and aids though. What they need to do is give the manager their full backing and not  have a fucking panel that has a say on transfer dealings.

I do hope Fanchester pops along to tell us why we've failed, before advising us how to do better and win league titles.

If 25 years of managers, fans, ex-players and commentators can't manage it, I doubt I can.

FSG are not exactly Vincent Tan though are they?

They've generally left the football side of things to people that reckon they know about football, and that's been distinctly average taken over their entire duration. They're delivering on a new stand, which is more than H&G did and whilst it can be argued might not really be investing as much on the pitch as it might appear, they're hardly taking the money and running. 

They aren't bad owners. They're just not going to get Liverpool back to the very top again either.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

They're not bad owners in relation to the previous ones but they've had a nightmare in terms of recruitment and wasted so much of the club's money as a result. Money that was in no small part propped up by inherited assets (Sterling/Torres). 

They're not bad owners in relation to the previous ones but they've had a nightmare in terms of recruitment and wasted so much of the club's money as a result. Money that was in no small part propped up by inherited assets (Sterling/Torres). 

Yeah i think thats pretty fair. Basically it's Suarez, Sturridge and Coutinho who have been great signings,  then we have decent business in Henderson, Moreno, Can, Mignolet, Sakho where a number of them could turn out into great signings. And i would say jury is out on a number of players.

But lets see about the Sterling money ey. Whilst Benteke wouldnt have been my choice, it seems the manager does want him, and backing him is right.

As a fanbase we have lamented our inability to market ourselves effectively for many, many, years. Now that we finally have owners who will work and sweat the asset to make as much revenue for their and to some degree the assets, benefit, we don't like the taste of it.

They say - be careful what you wish for, it may just come true. Well ain't that the truth.  

• Upvote 1

As a fanbase we have lamented our inability to market ourselves effectively for many, many, years. Now that we finally have owners who will work and sweat the asset to make as much revenue for their and to some degree the assets, benefit, we don't like the taste of it.

They say - be careful what you wish for, it may just come true. Well ain't that the truth.

I don't think anyone has an issue with that.

The main issue is that if they hadn't trusted people with money who shouldn't have been trusted with it - then we could have built half a new stadium by now.

• Upvote 1

I think FSG have done well in marketing the club better and increasing revenues but they've also seen much of those revenues pissed up the wall with stupid decisions and staffing choices.

Moores and Parry were fairly useless in terms of marketing the club, and Moores was a joke in stadium terms (although this new stand is a glorified modern equivalent of the Kemlyn upgrade and is probably all we're going to get out of FSG). But they did show some nous in bringing in Houllier and Benitez who both brought some pride back to the club, especially in Europe. 

I think FSG have done well in marketing the club better and increasing revenues but they've also seen much of those revenues pissed up the wall with stupid decisions and staffing choices.

Moores and Parry were fairly useless in terms of marketing the club, and Moores was a joke in stadium terms (although this new stand is a glorified modern equivalent of the Kemlyn upgrade) but they did show some nous in bringing in Houllier and Benitez who both bought some pride back to the club.

But then Moores sold to cancer and aids. That is absolutely fucking frightening, when a simple fucking google search would have convinced you Hicks and Gillette were the wrong types from the start.

• Upvote 1

But then Moores sold to cancer and aids. That is absolutely fucking frightening, when a simple fucking google search would have convinced you Hicks and Gillette were the wrong types from the start.

That kind of assumes moores knew what Google and the internet was!