You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

FSG are not shit

Dave D

I sort of had my own line in the sand last summer with FSG, as I thought previous windows showed evidence of us ‘saving up’ for a bit more of a splurge. I expected VVD and Keita last summer to take us forward, plus the usual smattering of kids.

That didn’t happen. But then I couldn’t entirely wade into the owners as we did end up getting Keita for next season (next best thing if we couldn’t nab him last summer) and we just got VVD in January. The timing wasn’t good on either, but we eventually got the ones the manager identified.

Last summer we added Salah, who has exceeded expectations, and Robertson looks a good young fullback. Ox was a bit of a strange one, but I can get on board with that as he adds depth and a bit of versatility, and if he kicks on he might start more often than not.

Anyway, the long and the short of it is I’m not quite so against FSG as last summer, given how things have panned out, but there is a Coutinho-fee-sized question mark over them, and we absolutely need to be investing it back into the team on Lemar and Alisson, or equivalent per Klopp’s preference.

That should be happening in January, and if it doesn’t, it is remiss of the club to let Coutinho go mid season. At that point it leaves me looking unfavorably at the owners, but still waiting until summer to see if they can redeem themselves by bringing in the players the manager wants.

If we don’t sign a Coutinho replacement in January and then fail to finish top four, there will be a cloud over the club that could, and should, have been avoided.

He certainly said that we needed to "strengthen from the outside" and that "quality out needs to be replaced with quality in".

This was in the last few days - for him I think that is going out on a limb.

He sure did. At the same time as he said that we will make lots of signings. It was about this window.

The bit i struggle with is why does waiting make things any better, cheaper or advantageous?

I dont think the not available thing is valid, look at all the moves in jan!

If we have targets ready for the summer is it not better to buy them now and bed them in? Currently can is captain and he will be bloody leaving!

Money talks, i am sure we could have landed a few players this window including Keita.

I sort of had my own line in the sand last summer with FSG, as I thought previous windows showed evidence of us ‘saving up’ for a bit more of a splurge. I expected VVD and Keita last summer to take us forward, plus the usual smattering of kids.

That didn’t happen. But then I couldn’t entirely wade into the owners as we did end up getting Keita for next season (next best thing if we couldn’t nab him last summer) and we just got VVD in January. The timing wasn’t good on either, but we eventually got the ones the manager identified.

Last summer we added Salah, who has exceeded expectations, and Robertson looks a good young fullback. Ox was a bit of a strange one, but I can get on board with that as he adds depth and a bit of versatility, and if he kicks on he might start more often than not.

Anyway, the long and the short of it is I’m not quite so against FSG as last summer, given how things have panned out, but there is a Coutinho-fee-sized question mark over them, and we absolutely need to be investing it back into the team on Lemar and Alisson, or equivalent per Klopp’s preference.

That should be happening in January, and if it doesn’t, it is remiss of the club to let Coutinho go mid season. At that point it leaves me looking unfavorably at the owners, but still waiting until summer to see if they can redeem themselves by bringing in the players the manager wants.

If we don’t sign a Coutinho replacement in January and then fail to finish top four, there will be a cloud over the club that could, and should, have been avoided.

Totally fair. I think we should have got in a Coutinho replacement before we let him go, but it’s the manager’s call. When it’s the manager’s call, assuming the money is there and he’s not covering for the lack of funds, then it’s hard for me to go all ‘FSG are the devil’ about it.

How so? Not sure I can agree. He has r gently said that he has the Countinho money and more, that FSG have never said no to him, and that we will make a lot of transfers in the long term but not this window.

Unless there’s something he has said that I’ve missed, in which case I’ll happily adjust my view.

Because he’s talking fucking shit, that any level headed sane person would not believe.

If you think he believes the shit he is spouting, you’re giving him less credit than I am.

I happen to believe our manager is not a fucking moron.

I’m on my fucking phone Scott, can you answer the question? Who on this forum would call that the rankings of a hysterical fanny? Why are you deflecting? Are you ‘incapable of having a debate without ad hominem’?

I asked you a reasonable question, with no insults. Please, conduct yourself reasonably and answer the question.

You just can't quit me can you? I'd be flattered if it wasn't so creepy.

Yesterday you threw one of your famous and predictable tantrums. You insulted me repeatedly, said we had wasted enough time, and then announced your universally mocked coup de grace of threatening to ignore me which you couldn't even manage for 24 hrs.

Now you want to talk? You're disturbed and your narcissism is approaching Trumpian levels.

I've no interest in talking to you, you demand respect but few on this forum are as consistently disrespectful as you.

Spare the forum the tedium of having to scroll past any more of these types of exchanges, I at least intend to.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I really don't believe for a minute that Klopp wants to wait, how can he be happy knowing he needs to sign loads of first team players this summer, in a world cup year and expect them to gel?

We need 5 players for the first 11 - how on earth are they going to settle and our owners will not be spanking the required few hundred million for what's required.

Anyone who thinks a Manager will be totally honest and mean exactly what he says in a press conference is living in cuckoo land.

I don’t believe that Klopp has any notion that the players he has at his disposal are good enough, but seeing as he will have to rely on them until the season ends, he has to be diplomatic.

You just can't quit me can you? I'd be flattered if it wasn't so creepy.

Yesterday you threw one of your famous and predictable tantrums. You insulted me repeatedly, said we had wasted enough time, and then announced your universally mocked coup de grace of threatening to ignore me which you couldn't even manage for 24 hrs.

Now you want to talk? You're disturbed and your narcissism is approaching Trumpian levels.

I've no interest in talking to you, you demand respect but few on this forum are as consistently disrespectful as you.

Spare the forum the tedium of having to scroll past any more of these types of exchanges, I at least intend to.

So you can’t answer the question. What a fucking hypocrite. Look at all the ad hominem you’ve thrown my way, yet you won’t even answer a simple question. It’s obvious why. Instead of saying ‘nobody, I made it up’ you'd sooner make up a line of shit and insult me, which is what you’re accusing me of.

You’re very bland. Very transparent.

I really don't believe for a minute that Klopp wants to wait, how can he be happy knowing he needs to sign loads of first team players this summer, in a world cup year and expect them to gel?

Because he's stupid /negligent / stubborn (delete as appropriate)

Or he has a very specific player in mind. Like with VVD, except we all knew about VVD because he'd spoke to him and all the groundwork was done, oh but this time there's no similar indications but it must be happening because Klopp makes vague statements about transfers and funds.

So you can’t answer the question. What a fucking hypocrite. Look at all the ad hominem you’ve thrown my way, yet you won’t even answer a simple question. It’s obvious why. Instead of saying ‘nobody, I made it up’ you'd sooner make up a line of shit and insult me, which is what you’re accusing me of.

You’re very bland. Very transparent.

Zzzzzzzzz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

Because he's stupid /negligent / stubborn (delete as appropriate)

Or he has a very specific player in mind. Like with VVD, except we all knew about VVD because he'd spoke to him and all the groundwork was done, oh but this time there's no similar indications but it must be happening because Klopp makes vague statements about transfers and funds.

It all points to him being hamstrung in my opinion!

It all points to him being hamstrung in my opinion!

He'll be working within clearly defined parameters and will have to balance the books. Looking at his transfer activity over the first three windows I'd suggest he was tasked with getting rid of some of the deadwood and freeing up wages. It may also explain why certain players are still here?

With the latest sale he's comfortably returned a profit for the club over his tenure as he has done through each window. 

As long as those are the conditions he signed up for then fair enough. It won't be enough to allow us to compete without selling our best players from time to time and even then we'll struggle to compete with the best in the Premiership let alone Europe.

Our recent annual accounts to date haven't been that rosy in all honesty, what matters for me is going forward. We have a much larger income from TV revenue, CL football this season. I'm expecting to see a big dollop of the next accounts going to offset the new stand.

FSG are nowhere near as effective commercially as they are thought of being, we're reliant periodic increases in TV revenue.

Klopp strikes me as the kind of person that who would make it very clear if he was being denied/held back etc.

Maybe he feels he can still work with it.

Managers are only that clear when they know the time is up and they are towards the door.

Something not right though

Klopp strikes me as the kind of person that would make it very clear if he was being denied/held back etc.

But it’s way more fun to ignore what he says and read in the direct opposite direction of what he’s saying to imply your version of events must be true. Very strange stuff.

• Upvote 1

But it’s way more fun to ignore what he says and read in the direct opposite direction of what he’s saying to imply your version of events must be true. Very strange stuff.

Only as strange as having a completely closed mind to Klopp's statements assuming he is incapable of diplomacy and therefore have only one meaning.

I think the healthier, and more realistic, stance to take is probably somewhere in-between.

• Upvote 2

Doing the right thing in the summer window shouldn't be anyone's line in the sand imo. How many windows have we had to listen to promises about warchests, about players/teams getting pissed off with us because of how much we've fucked about, only to ultimately lose out to other teams, or hear that we just couldn't get it over the line?

Having a great summer window won't make them great owners, just like having another shit window won't make them terrible owners; it's the body of work that proves them to be shit owners. 

I fully expect them to throw us a bone now and again just to keep the natives in order, but they've been fucking shit.

• Upvote 7

Only as strange as having a completely closed mind to Klopp's statements assuming he is incapable of diplomacy and therefore have only one meaning.

I think the healthier, and more realistic, stance to take is probably somewhere in-between.

I’m sure you do think that. I think it’s a daft flight of fancy with nothing to back it up, only conjecture and confirmatory bias. We clearly have a different understanding of what’s healthy. After all, there’s a massive difference between ‘diplomacy’ and repeated, clear statements from various managers. Including the ones who have left. Feel free to ‘healthily assume’ other things, but please don’t expect me to believe them without some sort of evidence.

I’m sure you do think that. I think it’s a daft flight of fancy with nothing to back it up, only conjecture and confirmatory bias. We clearly have a different understanding of what’s healthy.

I don't think it's wise to accuse others of confirmation bias when your argument centres around trusting Klopp blindly no matter what he does.

I don't think it's wise to accuse others of confirmation bias when your argument centres around trusting Klopp blindly no matter what he does.

I suspect what you think is wise and what I think is sensible vary quite somewhat. I support Klopp, and I trust his judgement. I judge it over a few people on the internet who are making things up and pretending that making things up is better than listening to what the manager says. If that makes me unwise to you, fair enough by me. Judging by your recent posts, wisdom isn’t your specialty.

I’m sure you do think that. I think it’s a daft flight of fancy with nothing to back it up, only conjecture and confirmatory bias. We clearly have a different understanding of what’s healthy. After all, there’s a massive difference between ‘diplomacy’ and repeated, clear statements from various managers. Including the ones who have left. Feel free to ‘healthily assume’ other things, but please don’t expect me to believe them without some sort of evidence.

Klopp's words are not always clear statements but if you take them at face value your understanding of them holds up, I can acknowledge that. You seem incapable of entertaining any alternative, so confirmation bias if you like.

I'll keep a healthy dose of cynicism thanks.

• Upvote 1