You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

FSG are not shit

Dave D

Which was a big improvement on the previous seasons, one fucking point or not. We are a seriously improved side, probably the best since 08/09 or even longer. We are on the right track at the moment.

You are judging our team in a vacuum. Do you think we are the only side that has improved?

We are an improved side, yes. But have we improved enough? Absolutely not. 

• Upvote 2

You are judging our team in a vacuum. Do you think we are the only side that has improved?

We are an improved side, yes. But have we improved enough? Absolutely not. 

I am judging on the basis of what we had before compared to what we have now. Same with results, if we were 7th and 8th and then we were 4th, for me, that's an improvement. What is enough, I would not know.

It isn't ridiculous at all. It's not a bad or a good transfer record, its fairly hit and miss, as I said in my post. I can't conclude either way.

Unfortunately, Klopp doesnt seem to want to buy players at all very often, which is what I am judging him on.

e.g. - I judge him on his reluctance to sell a Daniel Sturridge who has been shite for two years and never in his plans and not buying a backup/alternative for Firmino. 

Inaction is the same as bad action in my eyes.

It's more hit than miss. I don't rate Wijnaldum but he plays games and isn't a flop, clearly he's doing what Klopp is asking him to do and he's not a first XI player, decent squad player to have. Matip I think is a good CB, just a bit soft and was never someone who could lead the shower of shit in our back four onto being a bit less shit, he's the kind of player who will stoop to their level rather than rise above it, hopefully VVD will sort this out. I'm fine with him as VVD's partner. This is good value for a free transfer.

Klopp's transfer record is excellent compared to what we had before him. Even the misses are cheap players like Karius, he hasn't had a big money signing yet that's been a failure.

When you compare this to years gone by the difference is massive, we failed with almost every big transfer, our "top targets" for big money all turned out shit. Benteke, Lovren, Markovic, Lallana (debatable, I think he's never more than a squad player and clearly Rodgers expected big things from him). Go back even further and it's garbage like Carroll and Downing. Only ones we got right were Firmino and Suarez. The committee were seemingly in their element when looking for those "worth a punt" transfers, it got us Coutinho, Sturridge, Can all for peanuts, funny how that works.

It's scary to think what Klopp could do were he actually allowed to spend some real money without selling his best players in the process. I think our transfer dealings under his management are really good, the problem is there aren't enough of them.

I’ve seen enough and how many more times are we going to say “ if such and doesn’t happen, then we know what their ambition is”

It’s not in their nature to compete, that would take bravery, they are naturally cautious and this sport is not their passion. They obviously can’t be honest about it and have to keep the majority of the fan base “ believing”

They only have an interest in keeping us there or thereabouts which protects their investment, keeps sponsors happy and gives some fans hope.

If, and it’s a big if, we win something it will be in spite of them and not because of them.

They have succeeded in lowering expectations slowly but surely.

What is success to us, isn’t success to them.

You can say that about all PL club owners apart from City, even Abramovich has stopped pouring silly money into his club.

There is one thing which I cannot quite get my head around and which I read as a subtext in persistent criticism of these owners, the implied perception that they are actually preventing us from realizing our potential or hindering our imminent success (which has been eluding us now for almost 30 years).    

I neither know nor care what FSG's actual sporting ambitions are as long as they are not taking money out of the club, which apparently they are not and as long as we are spending the money we would be spending if the supporters owned the club, which I believe we are, if you look at the total wages and cost of players to income ratio. If we achieve success, it would not be in spite of them, it would be regardless of them.

They've made some stupid decisions, they've made some good decisions. There are no other owners on the horizon they are preventing from taking over, people willing to pour their own money into the club and FSG would probably be very happy to sell the club at a massive profit should such buyers appear.  

FSG are not here to buy us the title. They are here to run the club in a financially sound manner, so their asset can grow in value. I don't have a problem with that, at least as long as nothing else is realistically on offer.

Despite all my negative posts on FSG I don't have a massive problem with how they run the club financially, though the reality is football has moved on further since 2010 so what might have worked then is even less likely now, but that's not their fault. However that's not ruling out that some finance based decisions have been very poor.

What I do have a major problem with is their dishonesty about it, all the spin, PR and downright bullshit with the undercurrent that if it goes tits up it's on the manager.

Very fucking easy this blame FSG game.

Are they shit until we win the league by any chance?

Who knows until it happens, surely it will depend on what they do to contribute to it? If we win the league with our current financial constraints while other clubs carry on splashing the cash it will surely be down to brilliant management (whoever that may be) and the stars aligning.

What we do know currently is that they are not particularly good owners as we scrape for 4th place and currently cover purchases with sales.

I’d hate to scupper that vision for you, but nobody forced us to spend £75m on one centre back, which is £20m more than city’s transfer record.

Nobody forces Klopp to retain Mignolet and Karous.

Nobody forced Klopp to spend £25m on Wijnaldum instead of £17m on Ndidi for example.

Or £35m on Oxlade Chamberlain instead of Leon Bailey eg.

We have come s long long way so far to just throw it all away by not replacing Coutinho. Seems to me that Klopp is not budging on Lemar but the club won’t go to £90m.

I agree with the club on this one. Pick another target Jurgen, £90m is a massive gamble on a very raw talent who may not even deliver 4th. Would be a huge mistake if he didn’t hit the ground running.

Absolutely in his element after 1 loss in 19.

Like all his birthdays and christmases came at once, when that final whistle went at Swansea.

Said the exact same stuff last summer and for the entirety of January (incl. straight after the City game), but don't let that stop you with that narrative.

Oh and '1 loss after 19 games' haha give off. Those 19 games included 8 draws. We're fourth...just. Stop acting as if we we're running away with the league.

How many other clubs have to deal with shambolic transfer gaffs like we do? I can only remember two involving other clubs - one was when United tried to sign Herrera and they couldn't because the delegation were imposters. The other is Madrid failing to get the fax through in time for De Gea.

With us it's every window. The Clint Dempsey debacle... FSG releasing that we'd signed him on their website causing Fulham to flatly refuse to sell to us. The same situation with Zielinski. Teixeira literally begging to join us because he'd burnt all his bridges pushing for the move and we refused to increase the offer. The situation with Dele Alli and Salah (the first time) where we agreed to pay a set amount and then came back and tried to renegotiate.

The Van Dijk shambles in the summer. The threat of the transfer ban because of the Van Dijk shambles in the summer. The transfer ban we got for the Stoke kid. The paying of £300,000 to Roma for Borini because that twitter ITK guessed the info. The stalking and eventual sacking of Jen Chang for trying to ruin said ITK bullshitters life. Rodgers saying he wouldn't entertain Balotelli and then signing him about a week later. The Konoplyanka situation with Ayre being made to look a fool on deadline day. The Blackpool chairman refusing to answer the phone over Charlie Adam because Comolli was winding him up. 

There's so many, and it's always us. If they're so great why do they make us a laughing stock so often?

• Upvote 1

Very fucking easy this blame FSG game.

Are they shit until we win the league by any chance?

They're shit until we spend what we earn again and no matter how many lies that get said on here or straw man arguments about Man City spending, we haven't been spending what we earn since the ticket price protest.

Said the exact same stuff last summer and for the entirety of January (incl. straight after the City game), but don't let that stop you with that narrative.

Oh and '1 loss after 19 games' haha give off. Those 19 games included 8 draws. We're fourth...just. Stop acting as if we we're running away with the league.

Therein lies the problem. If you think we can match the three clubs above us in results with limited spending and wages you are dreaming.

How many other clubs have to deal with shambolic transfer gaffs like we do? I can only remember two involving other clubs - one was when United tried to sign Herrera and they couldn't because the delegation were imposters. The other is Madrid failing to get the fax through in time for De Gea.

With us it's every window. The Clint Dempsey debacle... FSG releasing that we'd signed him on their website causing Fulham to flatly refuse to sell to us. The same situation with Zielinski. Teixeira literally begging to join us because he'd burnt all his bridges pushing for the move and we refused to increase the offer. The situation with Dele Alli and Salah (the first time) where we agreed to pay a set amount and then came back and tried to renegotiate.

The Van Dijk shambles in the summer. The threat of the transfer ban because of the Van Dijk shambles in the summer. The transfer ban we got for the Stoke kid. The paying of £300,000 to Roma for Borini because that twitter ITK guessed the info. The stalking and eventual sacking of Jen Chang for trying to ruin said ITK bullshitters life. Rodgers saying he wouldn't entertain Balotelli and then signing him about a week later. The Konoplyanka situation with Ayre being made to look a fool on deadline day. The Blackpool chairman refusing to answer the phone over Charlie Adam because Comolli was winding him up. 

There's so many, and it's always us. If they're so great why do they make us a laughing stock so often?

Literally every single club. United were foiled by fake agents a few years ago, ffs. Real Madrid fucked up an important signing due to mishandling a fax machine. This sort of shit happens all the time and at the highest level too. 

Not finishing top 4 suits FSG down to the ground. They won't lose any money and they can wheel out the same tired excuse that we can't attract the type of players the manager wants because they want to play Champions League football.

Ridiculous. If they are just money grabbers why would they not want the club to finish high as possible and qualify each year for the Champions League and all that extra cash. Your argument does not hold any water.