You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

FSG are not shit

Dave D

£40m gets you less than a Sigurdsson, how are we supposed to compete on that basis and how does it directly compare to the clubs around us?  My understanding of this is rudimentary at best, but it seems low.  

Thats old money though, £40m in 2010 would have got you a lot more than Sigurdsson, that was like almost 2 Suarezes, or an Andy Carroll and a bit of change... 

• Upvote 1

The revenue was 'announced' today in the Deloitte money list, revenues were up £60m I think.

Wages, after last years unexpected increase, fuck knows.

Net cash spend discussed above

We are meant to paying off the stadium debt at about £23m a year, its possible they are using some of the spare cash to pay that back earlier, and to be honest, I don't have a problem with that as I think it increases the chances that they decide to redevelop the ARE.

Ah, £23m a year for Stadium but didn’t we have some other debt too? I figured that’d go down maybe.

It’ll be interesting. I didn’t see that £60m! That’s probably going to jump significantly again the year after with higher league finishes and later stages in europe.

Thats old money though, £40m in 2010 would have got you a lot more than Sigurdsson, that was like almost 2 Suarezes, or an Andy Carroll and a bit of change... 

Even so, it still seems low and insufficient in order to compete for the big prizes.  They were the ones with the "do anything to win" rhetoric, the schmooze, the schmaltz, the donuts.  They have failed the fans, big time. 

They will make the stadium as big as they can, wait for a fat TV/internet rights deal and then sell at the right moment for them. That's what it points towards.

Yeah, it makes sense from a financial perspective. Assuming there’ll be some sort of bursting of the bubble at some point. My deep concern is who buys the family silver this time?

My deep concern is who buys the family silver this time?

Someone good.

If they care about the club as much as their rhetoric suggests (don't laugh), they will value the fans' wishes as equally as their fiduciary duties towards shareholders.  If they don't, set Andy Robbo on them.  

'Coutinho forced his way out. We had no choice but to sell him'

Seriously, how anybody can believe this is fucking beyond me.

Klopp: "Hey Phil, do you fancy playing in the Champions League semi-final tomorrow?"

Coutinho: "Ah sorry mate, I'm on strike remember? Have fun though"

Klopp: "No worries mate, totally slipped my mind"

Stop talking absolute fucking shit and better still, stop believing the absolute shit Klopp came out with after we sold him. It's a world cup year, there is no chance in hell he would have downed tools.

• Upvote 2

A buyout by rank and file fans. Not.

Genuine question, how much difference would that make in terms of bailable cash for the manager to spend on transfers? There’d be no way to do why City have done. Fan ownership is great if everybody is doing it. It’s not going to get us anywhere on the pitch against clubs with higher revenue and billionaire owners though.

It needs to make sense. It’s firstly about the increase in r venue not the overall revenue from the stand. Second, the cost of building it could be very costly. If I was the owner, I’d want to be sure the business could stand on its own two feet. Long term stability is important. I don’t want another couple of hundred mill places on the club and then a bump in ticket prices for those using it. It needs to make financial sense, mate.

We should have had a new stadium fucking decades ago. FFS.

Well if you want do some root cause analysis and all that, wind it back to Peter Robinson, the sole focus with the stuff on the pitch and not what was going on in the boardrooms up and down the country of the deals being cut, the fact we were the first to put advertising on the shirts and then just stopped right there as this seemed wrong for the stuff on the pitch, Moores getting involved and the lack of visionary ownership, the 10 mill from Grenada, woop-de-fucking do abar that, the fact we were the last top flight club to have exec boxes and a whole host of fucking brain fart decisions, or such a gathering of such monumental ineptitude it made Dad's army look like the fucking Krypton factor with Gordon the bastard Burns, then, and only then will you be on your way to working out what the fuck went wrong. FSG? This lot are nothing, at least this lot are trying to get to the top, the previous shower or showers, had it all and threw it away, this club has been fingered, tit wanked and come all over like a bad slapper at a school disco for the last 20 odd years so I've sort of become attuned to wank ownership, this lot whilst not setting the world on fire, are certainly not trying to get a BJ and a finger pie just yet. To be resolved I reckon.
  • Upvote 3

Ah, £23m a year for Stadium but didn’t we have some other debt too? I figured that’d go down maybe.

It’ll be interesting. I didn’t see that £60m! That’s probably going to jump significantly again the year after with higher league finishes and later stages in europe.

Actually, the next set of accounts will have a large chunk of new stadium costs from finishing the stadium off over the summer, so debt should have gone up.

Up until the last set of available accounts, they have never taken out any dividends, so unless you have some inside info, this is bullshit.

Interest on the loan, alone, is several million per year.  So, yea.  They haven't taken dividends, but the club is making money and we're not spending it.  What are they doing with it?

'Coutinho forced his way out. We had no choice but to sell him'

Seriously, how anybody can believe this is fucking beyond me.

Klopp: "Hey Phil, do you fancy playing in the Champions League semi-final tomorrow?"

Coutinho: "Ah sorry mate, I'm on strike remember? Have fun though"

Klopp: "No worries mate, totally slipped my mind"

Stop talking absolute fucking shit and better still, stop believing the absolute shit Klopp came out with after we sold him. It's a world cup year, there is no chance in hell he would have downed tools.

Well if he's in it to impress the Brazil coach and not the Liverpool fan base, who if am going out on a limb here - don't give a flying fuck abar the world cup and squad selection, sort of leads me to think, do we really want someone here like that who's hearts not in it?

Playing the foot soldier card here, I want to spend my money on players who want to be here and play for the shirt and not for a place in a squad no one is arsed about bar him.

Klopp's the jewel in the Crown here, make no mistakes about that.

Selling Coutinho isn't a problem.  I was actually in favor of it in the summer, with Keita/VVD being his direct replacements.  We're seriously going to struggle without Keita here to take his role in the squad in the meantime, however.

We should be bringing in another forward to rotate with Mane/Salah, and maybe Salah or Mane, or new Forward can be a suitable stand in for Firmino, with Ings/Solanke backing those. 

We need a top GK.  We need to replace Morono, we need to replace Lovren, we need to find a replacement for Can, and Milner has got to be ready to retire/wind down his career.

The problem with all of these needs is that we're only spending what we sell, judging by the books, and as I was so informed... They're not taking dividends, nor paying down the loan faster than necessary (picking up their whatever it is... 6m or so per year).  Where is all this extra TV money, ad revenues, licensed goods sales, etc. going ?

• Upvote 1

Well if you want do some root cause analysis and all that, wind it back to Peter Robinson, the sole focus with the stuff on the pitch and not what was going on in the boardrooms up and down the country of the deals being cut, the fact we were the first to put advertising on the shirts and then just stopped right there as this seemed wrong for the stuff on the pitch, Moores getting involved and the lack of visionary ownership, the 10 mill from Grenada, woop-de-fucking do abar that, the fact we were the last top flight club to have exec boxes and a whole host of fucking brain fart decisions, or such a gathering of such monumental ineptitude it made Dad's army look like the fucking Krypton factor with Gordon the bastard Burns, then, and only then will you be on your way to working out what the fuck went wrong. FSG? This lot are nothing, at least this lot are trying to get to the top, the previous shower or showers, had it all and threw it away, this club has been fingered, tit wanked and come all over like a bad slapper at a school disco for the last 20 odd years so I've sort of become attuned to wank ownership, this lot whilst not setting the world on fire, are certainly not trying to get a BJ and a finger pie just yet. To be resolved I reckon.

Top drawer rant that.

All the good ones eventually want out though. We're a selling club now and players see us as a stepping stone. If Salah keeps his form he'll be off sometime in the next 3 windows. Keita has already talked about LFC being the next "step" in his career.

Henry won't get more involved because he isn't interested.

We've been a secondary club since the 90's. Most of the reason why players like Keita and Salah join us now is because we have proven we can shoot players to global stardom to the point where the very elite take notice of them. 

That's just how it goes. It means we have tight windows to try to win things before the best players get tired of us and try to move on. That's how we are because we just don't have the financial capacity and leverage/clout like United, City and Chelsea do to keep their top players. 

If it's true we've got £150m to spend - which i don't think it is by the way, i think we've already spent the money on Van Dijk and Keita, but let's hypothetically say it is. You've got a player that's going to Arsenal that's one of the best players in the world and they're paying a maximum of £50m for him. Why not spend 1/3rd of that money on Aubameyang, secure Champions League football, and then take the £100m plus the £40m we get from qualifying and buy the Coutinho replacement in the summer?

What's the logic in refusing to spend, finishing 6th, and then missing out on our targets in the summer because they'd rather play Champions League football? The only logic is from FSG's perspective. They receive £150m for Coutinho and save on potentially £100m+ in the summer because the top class players don't want to join us anymore. How fans of a club (that want us to be successful) endorse this i'll never know. 

• Upvote 2

If it's true we've got £150m to spend - which i don't think it is by the way, i think we've already spent the money on Van Dijk and Keita, but let's hypothetically say it is. You've got a player that's going to Arsenal that's one of the best players in the world and they're paying a maximum of £50m for him. Why not spend 1/3rd of that money on Aubameyang, secure Champions League football, and then take the £100m plus the £40m we get for qualifying and buy the Coutinho replacement in the summer?

What's the logic in refusing to spend, finishing 6th, and then missing out on our targets in the summer because they'd rather play Champions League football? The only logic is from FSG's perspective. They receive £150m for Coutinho and save on potentially £100m+ in the summer because the top class players don't want to join us anymore. How fans of a club (that want us to be successful) endorse this i'll never know. 

The problem with that is you're assuming Klopp wants Aubameyang, which he doesn't. Secondly, if he's willing to wait for van Dijk and handle having a spastic at the back in Lovren in the meantime, then he's not gonna be in a hurry to spend the money if the clubs with the players he wants aren't willing to negotiate in January. 

He's here till 2022, hence there is zero short term pressure on him. You gotta remember that when looking at why he might not be so willing to spend right now.

• Downvote 1

The problem with that is you're assuming Klopp wants Aubameyang, which he doesn't. Secondly, if he's willing to wait for van Dijk and handle having a spastic at the back in Lovren in the meantime, then he's not gonna be in a hurry to spend the money if the clubs with the players he wants aren't willing to negotiate in January. 

He's here till 2022, hence there is zero short term pressure on him. You gotta remember that when looking at why he might not be so willing to spend right now.

I'm not assuming he wants him, i'm saying we should want him and it's a mistake letting him go to one of our biggest rivals. Secondly he didn't choose to wait for Van Dijk. Waiting for Van Dijk was forced upon him by the idiot owners thinking they could reduce the fee by releasing the info to the press. Only like every smart idea they have, it backfired, costing them an extra £15m and costing us points along the way with Lovren's continual brain farts.

Maybe there should be some pressure on him. Maybe if you know your best player wants out 6 months in advance, you should have a contingency plan in place when it transpires. Or how about this..... don't sell your best player in the January window if you can't bring somebody in... controversial i know.

They got the club for a song, they should have invested more of their own money in playing staff early on to account for that. Now we're playing catch up and transfer fees have spiralled out of control to where investing their own money won't have much effect. They're amateurs and will always miss opportunities to expand.