You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

FSG are not shit

Dave D

1 hour ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

Your third paragraph also makes no sense. If we end up fourth and without honors to boot, say bye to Salah or Mane or another top star. Rebuilding starts again, and we all know how difficult that is...it's all we ever seem to do as a club.

We also win European Cups.

4 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

They get off lightly because of where we were ten years ago. They have progressed us to a point

Progressed us to a point? What point is that? Is it the one where we became European champions? 2 European cup finals in a row? 1 point from the league? Best keeper in the world? Best defender in the world? All of the above are indisputable facts.

It could be argued we also have the best manager in the world, our wide forwards can each claim to be the world's best, our full backs would need to search far and wide to find full backs better than them.

Finally where we where 10 years ago is actually quite a big deal, we had a stadium, team and manager not fit for purpose. 

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

They will sell us eventually for 7 or 8 times as much as what they bought us for. 

Personally I think they'll do what they've told us they will do and they've done at Boston. Water down their stake, get their original outlay back and some, then sit on what they have left. 

2 hours ago, No2 said:

Progressed us to a point? What point is that? Is it the one where we became European champions? 2 European cup finals in a row? 1 point from the league? Best keeper in the world? Best defender in the world? All of the above are indisputable facts.

It could be argued we also have the best manager in the world, our wide forwards can each claim to be the world's best, our full backs would need to search far and wide to find full backs better than them.

Finally where we where 10 years ago is actually quite a big deal, we had a stadium, team and manager not fit for purpose. 

Jurgen Klopp, Michael Edwards, the players, the coaching staff and the fans are responsible for all of that. The owners have done fuck all barre extend Anfield.

8 hours ago, No2 said:

Yes. Fair points but how much of that is down to them specifically?. They have made some good appointments in Edwards and Klopp. Klopp in my opinion is the best manager we've had for 30 years, just slightly ahead of Rafa. They had the sense to hire him after the Rodgers failure. 

The players we've got such as Mane, Salah weren't superstars to begin with, they've been coached and improved by Klopp as well as given a chance at a big club. Firmino was here before Klopp but has become a world class player because of the manager. We were only able to buy Van Dijk and Allison because we rinsed Barcelona. We've spent less overall the last 5 years after sales than some mid table teams. 

We got back into the top 4 and became City's main challengers because the rest of the clubs were in transition or sacking their managers. So we not only had the pull of being Champions of Europe we had the chance to pull away from Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal by signing a couple of players and maintain our place for a good few years. 

If we dropped out of the top 4 this season do you believe that the owners would sanction a spending spree like Arsenal?. We've earned record revenues because of our success in the Champions League but we are acting like Brighton or Norwich.

Why should the owners of this club get away without investing any of their own money?. All it ever is with them is an over cautious attitude and are we still going to be selling a player for big money to fund a transfer spree this time in 5 years?. Is that acceptable for the 7th richest club in the world?.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Boss said:

Jurgen Klopp, Michael Edwards, the players, the coaching staff and the fans are responsible for all of that. The owners have done fuck all barre extend Anfield.

One could argue that they appointed Klopp and Edwards and gave them the responsibility to buy most of the players.

6 hours ago, Boss said:

I can't remember who said it but I remember a quote from a successful business man who said his only job was to appoint people smarter than him.

After 9 years there is nobody at the club that they don't want. They got rid of people who couldn't do their job and hired those that could. FSG hired Klopp, they hired Edwards, they hired the guys that built the new stand, they hired the guys that signed sold the noodle contracts. That is their job. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Why should the owners of this club get away without investing any of their own money?. All it ever is with them is an over cautious attitude and are we still going to be selling a player for big money to fund a transfer spree this time in 5 years?. Is that acceptable for the 7th richest club in the world?.

I'll ignore most of that as I have just addressed it above. I will just answer the last part.

It seems to be an exclusive football thing that owners put their own money into a business. The idea of a business is you grow it to be self sufficient. You may put some in at the beginning or for a big expansion but not for day to day stuff. Any business that constantly needs money pumped in from external sources is not run properly.

And let's be clear about this, they said from day one the club would spend what it generates, they have been true to their word on that. Nobody outside the club knows our financial position right now, we could have money to spend or maybe we don't. I'm only speculating here but I think this season's budget went on Alisson, the plan was probably to get him or someone else this summer. 

If you were asked last June if you wanted to sign 2 from Fabinho Alisson Ox and Keita now or sign them all now but nobody next season I suspect you would have gone for the latter option? It's not sexy but in the last 10 years we have sold Alonso Mascherano Torres Suarez and Coutinho. It beats that.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, No2 said:

I can't remember who said it but I remember a quote from a successful business man who said his only job was to appoint people smarter than him.

After 9 years there is nobody at the club that they don't want. They got rid of people who couldn't do their job and hired those that could. FSG hired Klopp, they hired Edwards, they hired the guys that built the new stand, they hired the guys that signed sold the noodle contracts. That is their job. 

They also hired Brendan Rodgers, Colin Pascoe, Damien Commoli and Ian Ayre and spent £100m+ on terrible signings thinking they could superimpose the rule set of a game of rounders to the complexities of football.

Credit where it's due, they learn quickly, but lets not kid ourselves that they haven't made proper mistakes along the way.

1 hour ago, Boss said:

They also hired Brendan Rodgers, Colin Pascoe, Damien Commoli and Ian Ayre and spent £100m+ on terrible signings thinking they could superimpose the rule set of a game of rounders to the complexities of football.

Credit where it's due, they learn quickly, but lets not kid ourselves that they haven't made proper mistakes along the way.

Nobody said otherwise.

I don't think they hired Ayre either, they did get rid of him though which was kind of my point.

The problem I have with the whole setup is this. Henry is a Baseball fan. He's a baseball fanatic and a massive Red Sox fan.

That puts us at a disadvantage, we are the bastard child that gets the castoffs. And it can only be that way, as for Henry, Liverpool is a business, not a passion.

He's damn well made sure Red Sox stay at the top of the tree. I just don't think they feel the same way about the reds. If we are successful, its a bonus to them, but as long as we turn a profit they will be happy with top 4 and a good CL run because we are entertainers.

I don't expect the wealth of City to be pumped into the Club. But I damn well expect to be able to sign a few quality additions every window, not be whinging we are paupers whilst being outspent by Brighton.

And i couldn't give a toss about who we bought last year, we have sold plenty of players for decent fees too, plenty of marketing deals, plenty of TV money.

Something smells fishy and it isn't the contents of Baldrick's apple crumble.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

The problem I have with the whole setup is this. Henry is a Baseball fan. He's a baseball fanatic and a massive Red Sox fan.

That puts us at a disadvantage, we are the bastard child that gets the castoffs. And it can only be that way, as for Henry, Liverpool is a business, not a passion.

He's damn well made sure Red Sox stay at the top of the tree. I just don't think they feel the same way about the reds. If we are successful, its a bonus to them, but as long as we turn a profit they will be happy with top 4 and a good CL run because we are entertainers.

I don't expect the wealth of City to be pumped into the Club. But I damn well expect to be able to sign a few quality additions every window, not be whinging we are paupers whilst being outspent by Brighton.

And i couldn't give a toss about who we bought last year, we have sold plenty of players for decent fees too, plenty of marketing deals, plenty of TV money.

I know nothing about baseball, are you saying that FSG or Henry himself have pumped money into the Red Sox or have they just used that they generate?

43 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

So what's the plan of action, then?  A club like Liverpool can't settle for this nonsense.  How are you going to get rid of FSG?

11 minutes ago, TK421 said:

So what's the plan of action, then?  A club like Liverpool can't settle for this nonsense.  How are you going to get rid of FSG?

It's outside of the remit of us dumb cunts.  "Ultra vires", if you will.

We're looking to smart people like you for a solution.

50 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

He's damn well made sure Red Sox stay at the top of the tree.

This is lazy journalism here -- in the last decade (so during the time of LFC ownership) they have come dead last in the division as often as they have come first.

This year they are way off the pace. In fact they might be the biggest yo yo in baseball -- think of another team that won the World Series then finished dead last the next season.

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

This is lazy journalism here -- in the last decade (so during the time of LFC ownership) they have come dead last in the division as often as they have come first.

This year they are way off the pace. In fact they might be the biggest yo yo in baseball -- think of another team that won the World Series then finished dead last the next season.

Lazy journalism yes, and they've come first a lazy twice.

15 hours ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

They're American capitalists. They're always going to look at investing as little as possible whilst maximising their returns.

I hate American capitalists with a passion but if we are shit this season it won't be down to FSG. I will put the blame down to the shitty international tournaments over the summer causing fatigue with our best players. It's just a tad unlucky that our best players are with successful national sides. 

I think a combo of a CL hangover and the internationals will see us struggle and end up around 4th/5th end of season with a possible League cup or FA cup final. We won't win anything. But next year we'll be right back at it. 

It would take a total collapse for us to end up 4th or 5th considering how bad the teams behind us are. United, Arsenal and Chelsea haven't improved by that much. Two of them are managed by absolute novices. 

1 hour ago, No2 said:

I know nothing about baseball, are you saying that FSG or Henry himself have pumped money into the Red Sox or have they just used that they generate?

There's no salary cap or any stringent financial rules in baseball so in theory, teams can spend as much on players as they want and the Red Sox have one of the highest payrolls in MLB. The difference with football is that there is financial fair play and FSG obviously have taken that seriously.