You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

FSG are not shit

Dave D

2 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Yes. Seriously. If you don't think we've built a squad under Klopp, you're out of your fucking mind. Seriously, it takes a two minute search to look at the two different squads. The one he inherited in 2015 vs the one that just one the European Cup and got our highest ever points total in the league. So yes, I'm serious that we have built a squad and I have to be honest, I think anybody claiming the opposite is rather deluded. And yes, we've developed Anfield too. We need to do more, but that doesn't mean we haven't done it. 

Anyway, sorry to interrupt the little bitch-fest going on in here. I'll fuck off back to watching clips of Brendan Rodgers' squad lifting the European cup. 

As i said in the other post, fine. If you think we have a great squad good on you. Personally we've got a boss 11 and not much beyond that which is completely different than relying on people to come in and keep the quality high.

Would have been interesting what the train of thought would have been if we hadn't picked up the CL, and whether the approach this summer would have been acceptable. Fine margins and all that.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Aye, useless. 

I just had look back at your posts. Almost your entire existence on this forum has been to have a pop at the owners. This one is the pick of the litter, though. 

So did he not fuck up in January? Is he perfect?

We lost a 7pt gap through dropping points, having no right back option and playing a 16 year old at cb in the Fa cup. Thats our well built squad by the way.

Ive said previously he's a great manager but i don't subscribe to everything he says and does and i certainly don't drop to my knees like most fans when he opens his mouth. By the sounds of it too, he might be gone in 3 years which doesn't actually give him a load of time to build his team.

• Downvote 1

It's always been apparent that they want to succeed as long as it is done as cheaply as possible and with them spending as little as possible. People say that they will only spend what the club earns but we don't do that anymore.  When the record TV deal came out we built the main stand with a loan back to the club and made an 8m profit in the transfer window. The main stand has earned the club an extra 20m a year since it was built.  

We just spend when we recieved large sums of money from sales. It's occasionally topped up but it's roughly the same spending as we had under David Moores.

They do a lot of good things in running the club more efficiently and increasing commercial revenue but the claims from Henry and Werner that we can buy anyone or compete with anyone are not true. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BeefStroganoff said:

We lost a 7pt gap through dropping points, having no right back option and playing a 16 year old at cb in the Fa cup. Thats our well built squad by the way.

The post of yours that Numero quoted was from January 2018.

If you're going to go on a little crusade against Klopp it will help if you know which season to bitch about.

12 hours ago, Reckoner said:

You make some good points. Net spend of about £30 million a year isn’t it? Not great.

I don't think net spend is a good indicator,especially given how we have tied down our best players to longer contracts and money has gone there. I think it makes sense to not spend like a sailor on shore leave if you want a longer term plan. I also imagine that flattening the Anny Road needs to be done in a close season to stop losing seats on match days,which would be criminal given the demand to see the six time European Champions.

• Upvote 2

When you look around the top 10 of the Premiership and the top sides in Europe Im not noticing another club that has a model that is seeing both the club and its stadium grow whilst signing very good players and having a brilliant manager.

Unless they are bankrupting the club or flagrantly ignoring the FFP rules 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Dave D said:

When you look around the top 10 of the Premiership and the top sides in Europe Im not noticing another club that has a model that is seeing both the club and its stadium grow whilst signing very good players and having a brilliant manager.

Unless they are bankrupting the club or flagrantly ignoring the FFP rules 

Tend to agree with you. Only team I can think of is Juve. But their current manager is shite and they cannot grow their stadium as far as I know. Neither do I think Can or Ramsey are great players.

On a separate point, this net spend argument is crap. You either want the club to operate within its means or you want to increase debt on the club. Sure the club has more money than ever coming in but its also paying out more in transfer fees and wages. it's also rebuilding Kirkby with plans to increase the ARE. That's probably the thick end of £150m right there.

16 hours ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Solid squad building and Anfield expansion.

Its quite clear Jurgen is on a leash, or lest a budget. I don't believe for ONE second that Jurgen wouldn't go out and buy at least one or two names for this team. I certainly don't believe that Klopp doesn't like buying, its just systematic of the enforced budget of his last few clubs.

We have only spent big when we have sold big. Torres, Sterling, Suarez, Coutinho. I've never seen us take the initiative in the transfer market apart from Fabihno, and that was on the back of losing Can and Coutinho.

I think they are a bunch of businessmen who struck lucky - a manager whose prepared to make do (and he's done a great job) but who never seems to have all the tools at his disposal.

I really expected this CL to be the base for a build, not the summit. I've never known a Liverpool team to not sign first team players to push for competition.

I refuse to include OX, lallana or Gomez until all three complete one full season.

Hmmm...

As Gérard Houllier used to say "Football is all about opinions". My opinions are pretty much the exact opposite of that post.

Getting the club on a solid financial footing is a good thing.  Every manager since Woy has been trusted and backed; deficiencies in our squad haven't been due to the owners being cheapskates, they've been down to the expensive misjudgements of the managers. And, of course, Anfield has been expanded and improved. The thing that's holding up Anfield Road is the Council's unreasonable and unrealistic planning condition about the rail link. 

• Upvote 1

Live within our means and comply with FFP - check

Hire smart football guys and let them do what they do best - check

Win a trophy and keep us competitive in the league - check

Could be worse...

I don't think everything has been rosy under FSG, far from it. I think they had some bad advice early on and a few of their appointments early on weren't too bright. Everything has changed with the hiring of Klopp though, and it seems at the moment we have a club in perfect harmony.

I see lots of people complaining that they are just building our value before selling up. I honestly don't think they will do that, as much as I don't think they will be selling the Red Sox any time soon. I think both Henry/Werner are sufficiently invested in football now to keep us. Now tht we've finally won a trophy, that is not suddenly going to change. If there's one thing Americans love as much as money, it's being part of winning (in sports as much as anywhere else). I think they take immense pride in holding both the baseball and European trophies.

Biggest challenges ahead? Keeping Klopp beyond his current deal and sorting out the ARE development.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Seriously? I don't call selling your star attacking midfielder to buy a defender and a keeper, solid squad building. 

The results disagree. 

It's one thing to buy "a defender and a keeper"; buying the world's best defender and keeper is something else entirely. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, BeefStroganoff said:

As i said in the other post, fine. If you think we have a great squad good on you. Personally we've got a boss 11 and not much beyond that which is completely different than relying on people to come in and keep the quality high.

Would have been interesting what the train of thought would have been if we hadn't picked up the CL, and whether the approach this summer would have been acceptable. Fine margins and all that.

Our paper-thin squad had to overturn a three-goal deficit against Barcelona, with Salah, Firmino, Keita and (for the second half) Robbo all missing.

Thin squads don't win the Champions League and they don't rack up the Premier League's third-highest ever points total.

This isn't 2014. The gulf between the starting 11 and the bench isn’t as worrying as it was.

6 hours ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Ive said previously he's a great manager but i don't subscribe to everything he says and does and i certainly don't drop to my knees like most fans when he opens his mouth. By the sounds of it too, he might be gone in 3 years which doesn't actually give him a load of time to build his team.

At the time of that FA Cup game we had 5 CBs out injured.  How deep do you want the squad?

Put the bickering aside and consider the fixture list we could well be facing next season and a couple of decent new options would be wise. Even if we do avoid a glut of injuries just to freshen up the team's style is sensible. Rest assured our opponents will know us inside out next time out and I suspect it's one of the main reasons City and Chelsea before them bring in so many new top players. It's a big ask for the same squad to go and get 90 + points again but I can't see City not doing it.

• Upvote 4

On 24/07/2019 at 15:43, magicrat said:

Put the bickering aside and consider the fixture list we could well be facing next season and a couple of decent new options would be wise. Even if we do avoid a glut of injuries just to freshen up the team's style is sensible. Rest assured our opponents will know us inside out next time out and I suspect it's one of the main reasons City and Chelsea before them bring in so many new top players. It's a big ask for the same squad to go and get 90 + points again but I can't see City not doing it.

Like I said in the 'shitness' thread,my problem is not that we  know City are going to rack up loads of points and win loads of games,its more the way most teams are just going to not really try and take points off them and look to other games to gain them.  Its a shit way of doing things but thats what happens when so much money is sloshing about just to stay in the PL without ever trying to challenge for honours.

• Upvote 1

I dont agree the owners are holding back funds and tieing Klopp's hands regarding transfers. If Jurgen wanted a particular player or players, we'd be in for them. Maybe we have but the selling club have inflated the price because we're European Champions or the player is demanding first team football ahead of current 1st team players. It's clear he doesnt want coutinho back. He doesnt intend bringing a back up keeper in unless Mig leaves.

I dont get why people still have this 'just buy anyone' because Spurs, united and villa have.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4