You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

FSG are not shit

Dave D

9 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

We were prevented from signing Van Dijk, and yes Coutinho forced a move.

Your point is players will come and go? Or is it something more than that?

The point is that VVD's move was inextricably linked to Coutinho's move to Barca. Some people just seem to not get that and get mad because they think it wasnt. Simple business,but one piece that just seemed to make people defensive because it seemed to support an argument some have about whether or not it was FSGs money or not. What difference does it make?

• Upvote 2

No diff - certainly everyone could see Coutinho ripe for a move. And at that number - no brainer.

The fact that the contact with Van Dijk came very early makes the assumption that they were connected presumptive for me.

I certainly do agree that the club has a pretty good idea of its assets, and their worth in the market and are probably willing to find value there at anytime.

6 hours ago, Arl arse said:

Just so it’s clear, are FSG shit or not?

They have just edged into the "not shit" camp having beaten Bournemouth.

Anything less than 2 wins vs Munich and United and its straight back into "very shit"

*awaiting verification that they appointed Klopp to serve sandwiches in hospitality only to find out that he knew a bit about football  

• Upvote 6

17 minutes ago, Dave D said:

They have just edged into the "not shit" camp having beaten Bournemouth.

Anything less than 2 wins vs Munich and United and its straight back into "very shit"

*awaiting verification that they appointed Klopp to serve sandwiches in hospitality only to find out that he knew a bit about football  

The highly coveted German Sandwich tray.

• Upvote 2

On 1/22/2019 at 9:19 PM, VladimirIlyich said:

To be honest,most football stadiums are soulless without the fans,including our own. Its the fans that make these arenas what they are.

I don’t agree with that entirely. Yes it’s the fans that make the atmosphere on match day what it is, but a stadium can get in the way of that. Those huge screens at Wembley break up the atmosphere on the three occasions I’ve been.

but away from matchday have you ever just wondered down to anfield? Whether it’s for a tour, or in the day to queue up for tickets, or just for the hell of it, there’s a soul to the place that comes from its history.

i know it’s nonsense and it’s in my head - it’s just steel and concrete - but that history makes the place special and always will.

personally, I’m thrilled we didn’t leave.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Woolster said:

In his first full season it was £39m

I wonder how many other clubs who weren't in the Champions League the year before spent more than that in the same season. Anyway, to me it's much more important that we have spent a lot of money now we are back in it and we have improved our deals. It looks like FSG aren't taking money out of the club, and making it available to spend when the manager wants it. Then there's the loan deal, which is pretty good. Money, unfortunately, doesn't grow on trees. 

Out of interest, Woolster, can you think of any owners in Europe who are not either backed by an oligarch type individual (like Abramovich), or state sponsored fuckery (like PSG, Manchester Oilers) who are better than these lot? I don't think they've been perfect, obviously, but I think we could be doing much, much worse. I'm not entirely sure that we could be doing much better without the types of owners I just mentioned. Can you think of anyone? I mean, the two big Spanish clubs are there but they have an entirely different income source capability. German clubs are a bit weird, and even then maybe on Bayern would be on a list and they're owned by several different large businesses. 

54 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

I don’t agree with that entirely. Yes it’s the fans that make the atmosphere on match day what it is, but a stadium can get in the way of that. Those huge screens at Wembley break up the atmosphere on the three occasions I’ve been.

but away from matchday have you ever just wondered down to anfield? Whether it’s for a tour, or in the day to queue up for tickets, or just for the hell of it, there’s a soul to the place that comes from its history.

i know it’s nonsense and it’s in my head - it’s just steel and concrete - but that history makes the place special and always will.

personally, I’m thrilled we didn’t leave.

I have been on the pitch at Anfield and in the ground on a non match day and it is just a soulless and functional building to me. The people/fans are what make it what it is.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

And the rest? 

What rest? That is what is publicly available. Although financial results have been reported for 2017/18, the accounts aren't available yet.

If you mean his first transfer window, when we bought in Grujic (and Grabara) and sold no one. Firstly He was only a couple of months in charge and wanted to take stock of what he had. Secondly the way transfers work is that we would have been contracted to pay fees in that window, and there is no way to know how much we 'spent' in that window because we only get the full year's accounts.

For the full year 2015/16 we spent £38m, the year before £59m, the year before £53m, the year before £44m, and the year before that, FSG's first full season, it was £14m. That averages as as £41m per year.

We’ve spent less than £30m a year under Klopp and it’s even less than that over FSG’s entire tenure. 

So, we have 2 'facts' in your post. One of them is demonstrably wrong, so why should we believe the other one?

• Upvote 5

4 minutes ago, The Woolster said:

I've gone over this type of stuff repeatedly over the years in this very thread, but the same shit still gets posted

*shrugs*

And the thing is, it doesn't actually matter. We've sold lots of shit players in that time for lots of money. If we kept them, but didn't have one or two of our players but the net spend was higher, would we be better off? No. We wouldn't, of course. I'm much more worried about the direction the team and the club is going. I think it's fair to say things in that regard are going well. It's not that I don't WANT more money for signing, but I just have to be realistic. 

49 minutes ago, Slippin’ Jimmy said:

I wonder how many other clubs who weren't in the Champions League the year before spent more than that in the same season. Anyway, to me it's much more important that we have spent a lot of money now we are back in it and we have improved our deals. It looks like FSG aren't taking money out of the club, and making it available to spend when the manager wants it. Then there's the loan deal, which is pretty good. Money, unfortunately, doesn't grow on trees. 

Out of interest, Woolster, can you think of any owners in Europe who are not either backed by an oligarch type individual (like Abramovich), or state sponsored fuckery (like PSG, Manchester Oilers) who are better than these lot? I don't think they've been perfect, obviously, but I think we could be doing much, much worse. I'm not entirely sure that we could be doing much better without the types of owners I just mentioned. Can you think of anyone? I mean, the two big Spanish clubs are there but they have an entirely different income source capability. German clubs are a bit weird, and even then maybe on Bayern would be on a list and they're owned by several different large businesses. 

I dunno, my knowledge is not great on other leagues, and I would not necessarily judge on money spent, but on the processes they use (or appear to use), so its also driven by relative to their size/resources. Over here, I think Spurs, Brighton and Brentford are the standout owners for me of doing things well (other than us). Despite their criticisms, the Redbull group seem to be doing good things at both clubs. Roma seem to be doing good things too, and its not surprising they have links to FSG. Probably as far as my knowledge goes really. Atletico are obviously punching above their weight, but I have no idea about their owners or how they are run. Hard to say with Bayern and Juve because they earn so much more than others in their league.

The squad has reached a level where 30m net each summer is not a million miles away from where we need to be. Some years it will be 70m net, others it will be around 20m or lower. This summer we will probably sell 40m plus worth of players ( Grugic, Wilson, Lalanna and Origi) and buy 4 players for 100m. After that the with the way our established players are tied down it will be a low turnover of players, 1 or 2 in and out every year. That's the way it should be.

• Upvote 1