You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

FSG are not shit

Dave D

10 minutes ago, Istvan Kosma said:

The "pre eminent advisors" told them not to touch Klopp, they wanted Ancelotti but he wanted Bayern... This was all reported at the time..

Yeah what I was saying is the advisors could’ve done that to be respectful to Jurgen and his decision to take a year off football. I’m glad they changed their mind, like.

2 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Such bullshit. He was one of the top 2 available managers in the world (depending on how you rank Ancelloti) signed a 4 year deal and then when FSG realised what a great fit he was they swiftly extended it to 7 years.

You’re doing yourself a disservice with this nonsense Barry.

3 year contract wasn't it, maybe 3 and what was left of that season? I agree he's is a great manager and one of he best available. Why do you think we selected him over ancelotti (I don't recall who else was available at the time)? I'll tell you why, because he was good press and loved across Germany and ancelotti was a boring cunt. If football was a motivating choice when selecting a manager, at the previous selection, why the fuck were we interviewing Martinez and Rogers? By the point we appointed klopp, fsg thought the corporate tickets would be sold out of the main stand. They'd sold around 10%. Klopp was brought in to bring some razzamataz at a time when the sales dept needed it. The fact he's a good manager and turned into a good fit for us is just coincidental. It's like if we ever win the league or CL again, we'll do is despite fsg and not because of them. 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

3 year contract wasn't it, maybe 3 and what was left of that season? I agree he's is a great manager and one of he best available. Why do you think we selected him over ancelotti (I don't recall who else was available at the time)? I'll tell you why, because he was good press and loved across Germany and ancelotti was a boring cunt. If football was a motivating choice when selecting a manager, at the previous selection, why the fuck were we interviewing Martinez and Rogers? By the point we appointed klopp, fsg thought the corporate tickets would be sold out of the main stand. They'd sold around 10%. Klopp was brought in to bring some razzamataz at a time when the sales dept needed it. The fact he's a good manager and turned into a good fit for us is just coincidental. It's like if we ever win the league or CL again, we'll do is despite fsg and not because of them. 

Could the fact that only 10% being sold have anything to do with the fact that it was October and the new stand wasn't open till the following season.

17 minutes ago, SlugTrail said:

Could the fact that only 10% being sold have anything to do with the fact that it was October and the new stand wasn't open till the following season.

It was hospitality, they expected sold by then, there was real jitters in the club about it as the hospitality was what was going to pay for the stand and many seats they want to sell multi year. The whole business plan was built on the back of hospitality sales. Ian ayre was that desperate he was even trying to get people to give up their kemlyn boxes and move over (I assume the players are queueing up for them?). Even now they still haven't managed to have it all sold out in advance as they originally thought they would and sell a decent portion match to match to non-corporates (still the same price, just they are bought by people not companies), although as we're playing well, they've sold most in advance in that way already this season. 

17 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Barry having an absolute on-going nightmare and showing his true colors.

If we win the league or the CL now it will be in spite of them - couldn't make that shit up.

He met one of them once for 25 minutes though so he knows everything about them and their scheming ways. 

12 minutes ago, Istvan Kosma said:

That says that they were advised against and decided to get him anyway. 

To Barry's chagrin it also says:

It proves they are serious about winning.

And we know that is not true.

• Upvote 1

It doesn't really matter if they got lucky or had some strategy to get him. What's important is FSG seem to have learnt from their early mistakes. The club is now run day-today by football people, they've largely dropped the money ball crap and are trusting the manager/committee with serious money when it's needed, they seem to have accepted that the price of having a top manager is that you can't have a patsy doing your dirty work for you. Obviously they care more about their investment than our success but can anyone come up with a realistic, moral alternative owner or ownership structure that would probably be better? 

I still think they could do loads loads better on fan treatment and community issues though.  

• Upvote 2

On 2/8/2019 at 2:57 PM, Slippin’ Jimmy said:

Just quoting this for next time you say you weren't saying we needed it all at once. We followed up buying VVD in January by spending 180m, breaking records along the way, and being the biggest spenders in the window. Yet that's not good enough, you wanted another CB and another attacker of quality. I mean, fucking hell. This would have lead to the biggest transfer window in the history of the sport. But no, it wouldn't take massive individual wealth and investment to match the types of City and PSG. Okay. 

The bottom line is, you can piss and moan and shout MOAR! but it's real money, a real business, with really massive costs. 

I'm neither a big critic or supporter of FSG. I think they are one of the better set of owners out there but there is not much in the way of competition to be had in that league. As for the VVD signing,its pretty obvious that he was funded by Coutinho being sold and there is little point in arguing over that. The debates come around the likes of Alisson who was either FSGs own cash or the result of spending the cash we made from the CL run last season,either way is fine by me. There is still a noticeable drop off between first choice and their replacements in some areas,GK is the biggest imo but hopefully this will continue to be worked out through Klopp's tenure at the club.