You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

FSG are not shit

Dave D

2 hours ago, Skaro said:

You get what you pay for... 

This season is living proof that this is nonsense.

United have spent about a billion pounds since Ferguson left trying to recapture their former glories. Would you prefer we had Luke Shaw (£30m) or Andy Robertson (£8m)? Lukaku (£75m) or Salah (£35m)? Fred (£50m) or Shaqiri (£13m)? This list could go on and on.

We get more than we pay for because we have Edwards and Klopp making the decisions on whom to buy. Other clubs get less than they pay for because they have incompetent people making those decisions.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

United have spent about a billion pounds since Ferguson left trying to recapture their former glories. Would you prefer we had Luke Shaw (£30m) or Andy Robertson (£8m)? Lukaku (£75m) or Salah (£35m)? Fred (£50m) or Shaqiri (£13m)? This list could go on and on.

We get more than we pay for because we have Edwards and Klopp making the decisions on whom to buy. Other clubs get less than they pay for because they have incompetent people making those decisions.

Thank you for pointing out my wrongness and nonsense.

Or, perhaps I was referring to FSG's purchase of Klopp as our manager?

Nah.  Of course I wasn't.

1 hour ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I think what it perhaps points to is having a plan and then working to it. Which I think agrees with your point, to a degree. 

Klopp saw something in Andy Robertson that fitted the way he wanted to play football that, frankly, probably no one outside of the club saw. "Buying Robertson from relegated Hull for £8m?!" was probably on every mind going... but it worked and £8m was the cost of getting those parts into the plan. Everton could have bought him for the same money (and how many would have laughed) but he could have looked bang average there because of how they play. 

With Virgil it was £75m (or thereabouts). With Allison, it was £56m or whatever. With Trent it was zip. Matip was also free and Gomez (admittedly a Brendan signing) was three or four million? 

Having a big price tag only delivers quality if it's well used. Pogba has a big price tag and wasn't well used, or managed at all by the looks of it by Mourihno. Slapping the cash on the table only goes so far if you know what you're buying. Some times it's obvious what the player brings - Allison, Virgil - but plenty of times, it's not always - Robertson, Shaqiri, Milner even - to the plan. 

Klopp knows what he wants and he then gets what he wants, not a square peg for a round hole... and it bloody well works. 

1 hour ago, Mcfaggen said:

I think what it perhaps points to is having a plan and then working to it. Which I think agrees with your point, to a degree. 

Klopp saw something in Andy Robertson that fitted the way he wanted to play football that, frankly, probably no one outside of the club saw. "Buying Robertson from relegated Hull for £8m?!" was probably on every mind going... but it worked and £8m was the cost of getting those parts into the plan. Everton could have bought him for the same money (and how many would have laughed) but he could have looked bang average there because of how they play. 

With Virgil it was £75m (or thereabouts). With Allison, it was £56m or whatever. With Trent it was zip. Matip was also free and Gomez (admittedly a Brendan signing) was three or four million? 

Having a big price tag only delivers quality if it's well used. Pogba has a big price tag and wasn't well used, or managed at all by the looks of it by Mourihno. Slapping the cash on the table only goes so far if you know what you're buying. Some times it's obvious what the player brings - Allison, Virgil - but plenty of times, it's not always - Robertson, Shaqiri, Milner even - to the plan. 

Klopp knows what he wants and he then gets what he wants, not a square peg for a round hole... and it bloody well works. 

Klopp has openly admitted that he and his staff follow what Shanks/Paisley et did(He didn't reference them but I remember what they said years ago) in looking at all facets of the player on and off the pitch before signing them. It's generally why we have no outward dissent and good professionals at the club who just knuckle down and wait for their chances to come.

I'll happily admit to being both a skeptic about them and highly critical of them at times.

But - credit where it is due they have done alright really...i might not always like the methodology but a lot of that is the way the game has gone now - we are competitive again on and off (which is so important in helping the on) the pitch.

The next few years are of course crucial but we seem to be set as fair as we have been for a while.

• 3 weeks later...

Will look the business in Boston harbour.

http://www.superyachtworld.com/yachts-for-sale/6956927?currency=GBP

rsz_rsz_pjworld-10-07-12-4-9-2.jpg?forma

Currently lying partially completed in Norway, PJ World Explorer is listed for €19,900,000 green, as is, or €105,000,000 completed, with delivery of the green yacht possible just 18 to 24 months from contract. Perfect for those with an adventurous spirit the PJ World Explorer has been designed to travel the globe in style, with an Ice Class hull and a huge range of 10,500nm.The yacht is now ready and waiting for her new owner to add their stamp and style. Alterations are possible to both the general arrangement and to guest cabin numbers, with the theme and décor for her impressive 1400m2 of interior also able to be fully customized. Boasting a 14.6m beam and huge spaces inside and out, highlights include a 225m2 owner suite with 360 degree views across the ocean. A swimming pool, sauna, Hammam spa and gym will appeal to wellness lovers, and endless light-filled modern spaces will leave guests spoilt for choice over which part of the yacht to enjoy. In her current configuration she is able to host 14 guests in seven cabins, with up to 27 crew.Her design features a fully certified helideck as well as ample storage for toys, tenders and water equipment and a submarine garage. An optional hangar is able to store a Eurocopter 135 model (or similar) with a refueling system below the deck. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Will look the business in Boston harbour.

http://www.superyachtworld.com/yachts-for-sale/6956927?currency=GBP

rsz_rsz_pjworld-10-07-12-4-9-2.jpg?forma

Currently lying partially completed in Norway, PJ World Explorer is listed for €19,900,000 green, as is, or €105,000,000 completed, with delivery of the green yacht possible just 18 to 24 months from contract. Perfect for those with an adventurous spirit the PJ World Explorer has been designed to travel the globe in style, with an Ice Class hull and a huge range of 10,500nm.The yacht is now ready and waiting for her new owner to add their stamp and style. Alterations are possible to both the general arrangement and to guest cabin numbers, with the theme and décor for her impressive 1400m2 of interior also able to be fully customized. Boasting a 14.6m beam and huge spaces inside and out, highlights include a 225m2 owner suite with 360 degree views across the ocean. A swimming pool, sauna, Hammam spa and gym will appeal to wellness lovers, and endless light-filled modern spaces will leave guests spoilt for choice over which part of the yacht to enjoy. In her current configuration she is able to host 14 guests in seven cabins, with up to 27 crew.Her design features a fully certified helideck as well as ample storage for toys, tenders and water equipment and a submarine garage. An optional hangar is able to store a Eurocopter 135 model (or similar) with a refueling system below the deck. 

If that's a model of it and it's to scale, that's either a really small swimming pool or a really big helicopter.

Not something that most people will admit, but they deserve credit for getting Klopp to come. Wanted him from the very beginning of their ownership and correctly identified him as someone who would fit with what they wanted.

Yes, the history, greatness and aura surrounding the club would have obviously been appealing to someone like Klopp, but so would have Manchester United. Klopp met with them and they fucked it up. Described the club as "Disney Land for adults" when they met with him. He could have easily gone there if they'd sold him better. 

FSG didn't fuck it up. He bought into the vision, seemingly likes the higher ups, gets along great with the transfer people and its hierarchy. Credit to them. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

On 12/31/2018 at 9:13 AM, Ne Moe Imya said:

It's funny the way that most fans tend to equate "good" owners with big spenders. The recent experience of, say Chelsea and Man Utd, shows that buying expensive players means nothing if they're not the right players, or the players the manager wants.

Backing the manager also means trusting his judgement on when to bring through an Academy kid or pick at the relegation carcass, as well as spending big on a big name.

I think we've finally got the right balance. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

It's funny the way that most fans tend to equate "good" owners with big spenders. The recent experience of, say Chelsea and Man Utd, shows that buying expensive players means nothing if they're not the right players, or the players the manager wants.

Backing the manager also means trusting his judgement on when to bring through an Academy kid or pick at the relegation carcass, as well as spending big on a big name.

I think we've finally got the right balance. 

A New Balance, if you will. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

On 11/8/2018 at 4:51 PM, RobbieOR said:

I kind of see it and a few years ago I probably would have but I can't be arsed anymore. 

There are so many examples of modern owners getting it badly, badly wrong. I think for whatever flaws they have they've mostly got it very, very right? We've bought incredibly well over the last couple of years, have a good infrastructure, Jürgen Klopp is our manager. Oh and we're top of the league

Says a lot that we're four points clear at the business end of a season in which our 'big' signing (Keita, the one we were all excited about) has been more or less anonymous.

They've got a lot right over the last few years, the biggest of which might end up being the redevelopment of Anfield (with apologies to those who would have preferred a move to an 80,000-seater Tim Hortons Superdome).

It's the 'smaller' stuff has pissed me off - increases in ticket prices and the aggressive copyrighting of the club's crest, both of which probably save them about three weeks of Lazar Markovic's salary every year.

12 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Says a lot that we're four points clear at the business end of a season in which our 'big' signing (Keita, the one we were all excited about) has been more or less anonymous.

They've got a lot right over the last few years, the biggest of which might end up being the redevelopment of Anfield (with apologies to those who would have preferred a move to an 80,000-seater Tim Hortons Superdome).

It's the 'smaller' stuff has pissed me off - increases in ticket prices and the aggressive copyrighting of the club's crest, both of which probably save them about three weeks of Lazar Markovic's salary every year.

True.

I think the bottom line is that they are ruthless Capitalist pigs... but they're our ruthless Capitalist pigs.

2 hours ago, El Rojo said:

Most teams who move to new stadiums experience a significant slump in fortune during the building and moving into a new stadium and some of that is that funds otherwise used for the playing side end up going towards building costs,extra building cost too.

3 hours ago, El Rojo said:

Bollox I had a tenner on the Dunkin Donuts hyperdome 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, etho said:

There are so many examples of modern owners getting it badly, badly wrong. I think for whatever flaws they have they've mostly got it very, very right? We've bought incredibly well over the last couple of years, have a good infrastructure, Jürgen Klopp is our manager. Oh and we're top of the league

Everton say 'Hi'.

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Most teams who move to new stadiums experience a significant slump in fortune during the building and moving into a new stadium and some of that is that funds otherwise used for the playing side end up going towards building costs,extra building cost too.

That's part of it, but the absolute soullessness of those holes is even worse.