You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

FSG are not shit

Dave D

2017/18 what a fucking profit boys.

Cl money, tv money, prem money, commercial money, cl qualification money - 400 mil.

Have keita out of that.

Jackpot.

Open top bus for FSG at the weekend around Boston celebating their latest windfall.

John-W-Henry-007.jpg

In the words of Hanibal Smith, "I love it when a plan comes together"

Hope you choke on that cigar you cunt.

They'll be here as long we let them, they're not going anywhere until they figure their asset has reached it's absolute highest value. Then they'll sell.

I doubt they're in a hurry - there's essentially zero pressure on them, the club dictates the rhetoric in the local press like the fucking North Korea of European football and most fans accept the narrative at face value.

Right now it's that it's Klopp alone who decided not to spend, in the summer it'll be something else. If there is one recurring theme in their ownership thus far (you know, besides selling your best players every two years like clockwork and spending virtually nothing year in year out) it's that there's always something. Always some perfectly reasonable explanation as to why money isn't being spent, we've heard everything and anything save for "they just don't want to".

So I'm gonna be a depressing fuck but yeah, saddle up, we've got years and years of this still to go through, and I don't see the club suddenly starting to change it's tune or develop some sort of ambition. I'm more convinced now than I ever was before that their only ambition is to keep the club running at a profit. I used to think their model was Arsenal and they wanted top 4 with minimum investment, but these days I'm not sure they even give a shit about that. Arsenal look like a club that wants top 4 and nothing else really. By comparison, we just look like we don't care whether it's 4th or 7th really.

• Upvote 5

I don't think John Henry cares for the Red Sox any more than us really (or maybe one tiny shiny shite more) and FSG run Liverpool in almost exactly the same way they do the Red Sox.

Sorry that is simply not true.

When he first bought the Red Sox. He pulled out all stops to bring Boston the World Series title that the city had been waiting 86 years for.

They consistently rank 3rd or 4th in player salaries (best measure of investment since teams don't buy and sell players) and the difference between them and the top 2 is not generally huge. In particular their spending matches very closely with their League rivals and main competition.

He also regularly attends their games and I think he would be quite honest about which team he is more interested in if asked.

Sorry that is simply not true.

When he first bought the Red Sox. He pulled out all stops to bring Boston the World Series title that the city had been waiting 86 years for.

They consistently rank 3rd or 4th in player salaries (best measure of investment since teams don't buy and sell players) and the difference between them and the top 2 is not generally huge. In particular their spending matches very closely with their League rivals and main competition.

He also regularly attends their games and I think he would be quite honest about which team he is more interested in if asked.

It's pretty much exactly the same, and don't forget Henry already owned one baseball team (Tampa Bay?) before buying into the Red Sox with FSG.

1. Decided to renovate existing classic stadium rather than moving to a new build one.

2. Hiked up ticket prices as far as they could go so that while the ground is always full the atmosphere isn't the same and fans are a little aggrieved.

3. Tried to implement stats based approaches.

4. Don't ever spend more than the club makes itself (a lot easier to do in baseball with it's closed system)

5. Spend reasonably highly on wages - Liverpool have 5th highest income, spend the 5th highest in wages and have the 2nd largest wages/turnover ratio of top 6 in the prem.

6. Cultivate the local press to avoid criticism.

7. Make some good decisions, make some stupid decisions.

I must be thick because I can't see what the issue is with that report. That is unless you think Klopp is lying through his teeth.

It’s the bit about pointing out how often the transfer record gets broken for me.

Also, whilst I don’t think Klopp lies through his teeth, I don’t think any Manager is 100% truthful in press conferences.

5. Spend reasonably highly on wages - Liverpool have 5th highest income, spend the 5th highest in wages and have the 2nd largest wages/turnover ratio of top 6 in the prem.

This will not be true anymore.

It’s the bit about pointing out how often the transfer record gets broken for me.

Also, whilst I don’t think Klopp lies through his teeth, I don’t think any Manager is 100% truthful in press conferences.

it's the unequivocal nature of his statements that make me believe what he is saying.  He is not using diplomatic language or dressing his statements up to mask the fact that all is not well.  He is emphatically and repeatedly stating that the money is there to make the transfers he wants, and that the club have never not let him buy who he wants.  As the article says, he is no patsy.  

Klopp and FSG stand united.

Fsg still " commited " to build a 50 million training ground.

Klopp noone ever told me no way to a transfer.

What a load of fucking shit. It's just a rehash of pretty much every window here. 

Either Klopp is retarded not buying what is needed or he's been told no way. 99 percent of players are available at the right price. Can't see how money should be an issue with those numbers coming in.

Borderline negligent at best. Luckily for us  everyone else around us is having their worst season in ages.

We have the worst midfield since Woy. Thank god Huddersfield is about League one level. We'll probably do Spurs. CL is about to start with a couple of injuries from fielding, what will essentialy be a junior side against grown men. Winning the CL is about as realistacly as we've landed on the moon in the sixties.

First part of the season ruined because we had no defensive cover. Second part of the season ruined because we have no attacking cover. 

The constant throughout the season is that we have a gimp in goal and no quality in midfield.

Cheers FSG. Cheers Kloppo. 

Meanwhile City are signing players when one of theirs gets a dicky tummy. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

it's the unequivocal nature of his statements that make me believe what he is saying. He is not using diplomatic language or dressing his statements up to mask the fact that all is not well. He is emphatically and repeatedly stating that the money is there to make the transfers he wants, and that the club have never not let him buy who he wants. As the article says, he is no patsy.

So the article basically puts it all on Klopp? And points out how positive the owners have been?

Although there is an acknowledgement that it is a gamble at the end of the article, I don’t think it’s a coincidence that an article reminding us how committed the owners are appears as soon as we can’t buy anyone.

If they are so committed, buy better players and be committed to win.

It's pretty much exactly the same, and don't forget Henry already owned one baseball team (Tampa Bay?) before buying into the Red Sox with FSG.

1. Decided to renovate existing classic stadium rather than moving to a new build one.

2. Hiked up ticket prices as far as they could go so that while the ground is always full the atmosphere isn't the same and fans are a little aggrieved.

3. Tried to implement stats based approaches.

4. Don't ever spend more than the club makes itself (a lot easier to do in baseball with it's closed system)

6. Cultivate the local press to avoid criticism.

7. Make some good decisions, make some stupid decisions.

LFC don't spend anywhere near what the top 3 clubs do on players. Red Sox spend consistently in the top 3 of MLB, usually spending 85-90 % of what their main rival the Yankees do. Henry admits to being passionate about baseball and the Red Sox. It's why they've won the WS 3 times since he bought them. You're just flat out wrong. The similarities you cite are superficial. The bottom line is the commitment to spending.

LFC don't spend anywhere near what the top 3 clubs do on players. Red Sox spend consistently in the top 3 of MLB, usually spending 85-90 % of what their main rival the Yankees do. Henry admits to being passionate about baseball and the Red Sox. It's why they've won the WS 3 times since he bought them. You're just flat out wrong. The similarities you cite are superficial. The bottom line is the commitment to spending.

LFC on the most recent Deloitte figures had 69% wages to turnover ratio. That was higher than Arsenal, Tottenham, Man Utd and 1% behind Chelsea. It was also behind Man City, believe it or not.

The spending on transfers might not have been up to snuff in the last couple of years, but FSG have not really scrimped on wages. That is a fact.

LFC on the most recent Deloitte figures had 69% wages to turnover ratio. That was higher than Arsenal, Tottenham, Man Utd and 1% behind Chelsea. It was also behind Man City, believe it or not.

The spending on transfers might not have been up to snuff in the last couple of years, but FSG have not really scrimped on wages. That is a fact.

Sadly though, a high wage ratio is no measure if how we perform on the pitch. Wijnaldum is on ninety grand a week but that doesn't make him a mine of creativity.

• Upvote 1