You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

FSG are not shit

Dave D

Did we know Coutinho was deffo leaving this window. I did not. I thought the transfer saga was likely finished til the summer. You can argue we might have thought he would leave this window but the fact is would we be looking to spend £80m-£90m on his replacement not knowing he was going. Think there is a lot of reaction going on due to the last two results and Coutinho deciding he was not staying this time no matter what.

I knew he was off as soon as we signed Virgil.

It's how FSG roll.

• Upvote 1

Nobody has accepted anything -- many people have started to suggest (since those pesky Yanks got involved the first time) that instead of getting outplayed on the pitch by teams that shouldn't be able to lace our boots, and giving the players a rollicking - we are getting outowned.

West Brom is shite -- the players we have should roll over that mob 9 out of 10 -- yes or no?

I agree, what was on the pitch last night should have beat West Brom. Not sure about the bench though when you need to change things.

I don’t blame FSG directly for Swansea, West Brom or many of the other shite that have rolled us over. What I do blame them for is the strategy and culture at LFC. winning mentality comes from the top.

Arsenal are a mess because their manager is not compos mentis. FSG benefit hugely from that club’s internal incompetency. Offering out multiple 300k p/w contracts is not something we would dream of doing. If Arsenal get their act together with a proper manager in the manner of City/Utd/Chelsea, the league will be a gloomy place to be.

The Glazers - of all owners - have put FSG to shame with how they’ve built Utd up, albeit with a succession of awful managerial appointments post Ferguson.

Built United up? Didn't the Glazers delist the club from the stock exchange so they can make the club pay them back their takeover investment, and are now throwing money at every problem, desperately trying to stop the rot caused by lack of investments towards the end of the Ferguson era?  Without the Glazers the league would indeed be a gloomy place with United walking it almost every year like they used to before oil money came in.

Winning mentality I'm not sure what that is in any tangible sense, Looked at dispassionately if you run a business , certainly one the size of LFC, good owners take stock and fix the problems, You don't stumble along for years whilst the same things go wrong season after season . For example it's inconceivable any of our rivals would have put up with the keeper fiasco for five minutes flat let alone years, They have the key to going along way to solving the problems , namely cash.   

What I do blame them for is the strategy and culture at LFC. winning mentality comes from the top.

Haha, no it doesn't. Yeah, I'm sure Man City's winning mentality stems from Sheikh Mansour's brilliant organizational culture and not from the fact that he's hired the best manager in the world and that he probably carries as much money in the trunk of his car than John Henry has in his bank account. 

Arsenal are a mess because their manager is not compos mentis. FSG benefit hugely from that club’s internal incompetency. Offering out multiple 300k p/w contracts is not something we would dream of doing. If Arsenal get their act together with a proper manager in the manner of City/Utd/Chelsea, the league will be a gloomy place to be.

The Glazers - of all owners - have put FSG to shame with how they’ve built Utd up, albeit with a succession of awful managerial appointments post Ferguson.

This could not be more wrong. The Glazers are absentee and cheap owners who won the lottery with their investment in United. They've been riding the coattails of United's incredible worldwide brand for years.

Your ma could be United's owner and be successful. They're a money making machine.

Did we know Coutinho was deffo leaving this window. I did not. I thought the transfer saga was likely finished til the summer. You can argue we might have thought he would leave this window but the fact is would we be looking to spend £80m-£90m on his replacement not knowing he was going. Think there is a lot of reaction going on due to the last two results and Coutinho deciding he was not staying this time no matter what.

I think its pretty certain Liverpool and Barcelona would have been talking ever since this started in the summer. Pretty much the same as we would have been talking to Southampton about Van Dijk the same time.  It's why both deals went pubblic around the start of the window opening, probably because most of the groundwork of the deals were done.  Then the PR exercise starts.

Liverpool  knew full well there was a high chance of Coutinho going in this window, so planning should have started in September. 

The same is also true of Emre Can.  So to not have replacements lined up because they didnt know....... Im sorry but that's rubbish

Haha, no it doesn't. Yeah, I'm sure Man City's winning mentality stems from Sheikh Mansour's brilliant organizational culture and not from the fact that he's hired the best manager in the world and that he probably carries as much money in the trunk of his car than John Henry has in his bank account.

Ok then. Owners don’t set the overall strategy and culture of a football club ?

We buy players with a view of selling them on nowadays. I suppose our Owners have no idea this is going on ?

Still believe that the plan was Coutinho out and VVD and AOC in all along as soon as club knew Coutinho wanted gone.

AOC was secured at end of summer window and Cou was convinced to stay until Jan and then VVD arrived and Cou was off shortly after.

We'll see what money get in summer but i for one will be amazed if it is 'the coutinho money' as that has been spent IMHO.

• Upvote 2

Ok then. Owners don’t set the overall strategy and culture of a football club ?

We buy players with a view of selling them on nowadays. I suppose our Owners have no idea this is going on ?

We don't have a view of selling them, FSG have never said that. The best players just so happen to want to leave after a certain point and you can't keep players who want to go forever. A club with an outward and honest strategy of selling to make profits is Monaco, not LFC.

We don't have a view of selling them, FSG have never said that. The best players just so happen to want to leave after a certain point and you can't keep players who want to go forever. A club with an outward and honest strategy of selling to make profits is Monaco, not LFC.

I’m not saying our strategy is outward or honest. And if you are waiting for them to say it, you’ll wait a long time as they aren’t that stupid.

I’ve long since stopped judging them on what they say

“ we are here to win”

“ we can compete with anyone”

“ under promise over deliver”

I’d rather judge on their actions and the, you know trophies or at least direction of the club.

All these best players wanting to leave is purely coincidental then and nothing to do with lack of success?

Although I'm not particularly sold on FSG, I do think a lot that's wrong with the club is a combination of things that mostly aren't their fault. 

Losing players to the four or five clubs in the world that endlessly get their own way for example, fuck all you can do about that really. Sterling to City, Suarez and Coutinho to Barcelona. It's not like these players are leaving for Spurs or Everton, or even Lazio. 

If you're not Madrid, Barcelona, PSG, City or Chelsea you may as well give up on trying to build a decent squad, that's the sad reality. 

If you look at the mancs they're a strange hotchpotch of expensive cast offs, mediocre homegrown players and the occasional 'big' signing that they absolutely break the bank for and spend huge amounts on in wages out of pure bravado, they're a midlife crisis club. 

The rest of us just have to get by as best we can, try and spot a player and somehow keep them in a squad long enough to win something before someone gets in their ear. 

This happens to Spurs too. Bale, Modric, guardantee Kane will be gone for 200 mil or some shit this summer or next. 

City or chelsea once they get their shit together will just win everything, every year, forever, and the mancs will get the odd FA Cup for the sum total of a quarter of a billion spent. It'll be tremendous craic.

• Upvote 3

Yep - but not sure it is that simple. For instance an FA Cup would not change the landscape and your use of Arsenal points that out.

We are about 5th in the tough guy  - thats just in England.

And on the world scale I would say we are mired outside the top 12 -- so our reality is players of the top caliber will still want to move on even if we win a shiny thing every third year.

We need to get to Atletico/Dortmund level - where we can make reasonable tilt at the league title each year with our current set up. And show up in the CL more often than not.

It will not be easy.

Although I'm not particularly sold on FSG, I do think a lot that's wrong with the club is a combination of things that mostly aren't their fault. 

Losing players to the four or five clubs in the world that endlessly get their own way for example, fuck all you can do about that really. Sterling to City, Suarez and Coutinho to Barcelona. It's not like these players are leaving for Spurs or Everton, or even Lazio. 

If you're not Madrid, Barcelona, PSG, City or Chelsea you may as well give up on trying to build a decent squad, that's the sad reality. 

If you look at the mancs they're a strange hotchpotch of expensive cast offs, mediocre homegrown players and the occasional 'big' signing that they absolutely break the bank for and spend huge amounts on in wages out of pure bravado, they're a midlife crisis club. 

The rest of us just have to get by as best we can, try and spot a player and somehow keep them in a squad long enough to win something before someone gets in their ear. 

This happens to Spurs too. Bale, Modric, guardantee Kane will be gone for 200 mil or some shit this summer or next. 

City or chelsea once they get their shit together will just win everything, every year, forever, and the mancs will get the odd FA Cup for the sum total of a quarter of a billion spent. It'll be tremendous craic.

The reality. Good post in full.

Yep - but not sure it is that simple. For instance an FA Cup would not change the landscape and your use of Arsenal points that out.

We are about 5th in the tough guy  - thats just in England.

And on the world scale I would say we are mired outside the top 12 -- so our reality is players of the top caliber will still want to move on even if we win a shiny thing every third year.

We need to get to Atletico/Dortmund level - where we can make reasonable tilt at the league title each year with our current set up. And show up in the CL more often than not.

It will not be easy.

An Fa Cup would help.  Winning breeds Winning. All this squad is known for is losing,

Still believe that the plan was Coutinho out and VVD and AOC in all along as soon as club knew Coutinho wanted gone.

AOC was secured at end of summer window and Cou was convinced to stay until Jan and then VVD arrived and Cou was off shortly after.

We'll see what money get in summer but i for one will be amazed if it is 'the coutinho money' as that has been spent IMHO.

Unbelievable isn't it trade cuthinho for aoc ,only liverpool could even think that could work .How to blow up your season ,fucking joke

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

They’ve finished above us 6 of the 7 years FSG has been here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, they are a pretty well run club and they don't spend all that much money on transfers either.

In fact, you could probably use them as a blueprint for wise, conscious spending, not as something to beat FSG over the head with because you don't think they spend enough money. 

When? Do you mean the one year?

Allowing United to completely miss a season due to a mickey mouse trophy somewhere warm and allowing their 'showpiece' event to be staged before the end of the domestic season at 5.30pm on a Saturday night(UK time) really shows how much they believe in their beloved FA Cup. They are the FIFA recognised national association yet dance to the tune of the Premier League at every opportunity. Yes they've devalued their own competition and most likely for personal gain.

There are no people - it is an Association. Utd checked out that year (that single year)  for the good of the Association. At their request. But you remember it right? 

And we won it a year later - oh how we celebrated a treble -- and they won it three years later....

Pinch my Mickey Mouse Ears 

If we have no view to sell, why do we put release clauses in players contracts?