You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

FSG are not shit

Dave D

When Keita. arrives we'll have bought five first teamers over 12 months and lost one. That looks like a reasonable level of investment to me so I'm not getting on FSG's case at the moment.

But I do expect Klopp to have £100m or so plus sales to spend in the summer. He says he has funding so we'll see.

• Upvote 1

I dont think they are cunts and i dont think they are shit. They are very clever businessmen milking a global giant. They do what they must but offer nothing more.

Also i dont just blame them for everything as the manager is also responsible for certain things.

They are what they are.

What they are, is not good enough for us, if we want to win things.

They're nowhere near the worst, but they're nowhere near the best neither.`

We are where we are.

It could be worse, but it could be a lot fucking better. But then, it's been this way for years.

• Upvote 1

When Keita. arrives we'll have bought five first teamers over 12 months and lost one. That looks like a reasonable level of investment to me so I'm not getting on FSG's case at the moment.

But I do expect Klopp to have £100m or so plus sales to spend in the summer. He says he has funding so we'll see.

Yeah, but mate, how many "warchest's" we going to have? Every window it's the same. Jam tomorrow.

Yes, our team is miles better than it ever has been, and in 6 months it will be improved upon, but who knows at what cost?

Our owners lack ambition.

• Upvote 1

Yep. That’s about it.

Yeah, but mate, how many "warchest's" we going to have? Every window it's the same. Jam tomorrow.

Yes, our team is miles better than it ever has been, and in 6 months it will be improved upon, but who knows at what cost?

Our owners lack ambition.

Our team is miles better than it ever has been? Really?

There's no excuse not to sign a creative player with Lallana's recurring injury problems and Coutinho sold. To do otherwise is reckless and risks turning a promising season into nothing.

It'll be Hobson's, er I mean Klopp's choice don't ya know.

No, but that's not the point. Obviously.

I didn't mean to pull you up on symantics and I get it wasn't your point - I was just checking.

But now that we're here, I'll explain why I'm checking...and why maybe it is the point, or at least mine.

There is an undercurrent of thought that we're some fucking boss side. We're really not. We're great in parts, with good potential, but seriously awful flaws. It feels like a win over City (which we could have thrown away in the last 10 minutes) and people start thinking we're mustard.

Let's just remind ourselves - we got fourth last year by the virtue of 1 fucking solitary point, above an Arsenal side that was considered so shit that their entire fanbase wanted their manager and entire board to be sacked.

4 Liverpool    76

5 Arsenal       75 

Right now, we're in a similar position. Precariously hovering above fifth, with two sides gunning to overtake us, both of whom are currently doing their utmost to strengthen.

People who express their fear of finishing out of the top four are not doom mongering. There is a very good chance that it will happen, especially if Firmino's hamstring suddenly pings.

• Upvote 1

I didn't mean to pull you up on symantics and I get it wasn't your point - I was just checking.

But now that we're here, I'll explain why I'm checking...and why maybe it is the point, or at least mine.

There is an undercurrent of thought that we're some fucking boss side. We're really not. We're great in parts, with good potential, but seriously awful flaws. It feels like a win over City (which we could have thrown away in the last 10 minutes) and people start thinking we're mustard.

Let's just remind ourselves - we got fourth last year by the virtue of 1 fucking solitary point, above an Arsenal side that was considered so shit that their entire fanbase wanted their manager and entire board to be sacked.

4 Liverpool    76

5 Arsenal       75 

Right now, we're in a similar position. Precariously hovering above fifth, with two sides gunning to overtake us, both of whom are currently doing their utmost to strengthen.

People who express their fear of finishing out of the top four are not doom mongering. There is a very good chance that it will happen, especially if Firmino's hamstring suddenly pings.

see below.

4 Liverpool    76

5 Arsenal       75 

Yup.

We're still the same 2/3 players short of where we need to be, and have been for years.

I don't see this changing soon.

4 Liverpool    76

5 Arsenal       75 

Which was a big improvement on the previous seasons, one fucking point or not. We are a seriously improved side, probably the best since 08/09 or even longer. We are on the right track at the moment.

Which was a big improvement on the previous seasons, one fucking point or not. We are a seriously improved side, probably the best since 08/09 or even longer. We are on the right track at the moment.

But the powers at be are not interested in going that extra yard.

But the powers at be are not interested in going that extra yard.

This would be something we could say once we have experienced stagnation (again). We are better than last year and serious contenders for the top 3. Last year was a considerable improvement also. I expect us to challenge for the title next year. If we don't, if we drop out of the top 4 again at the end of this year, if the manager starts dropping hints or openly accusing the owners of not supporting him - yes. But at the moment, we are in a good place, enjoying our football and generally moving in the right direction.

• Upvote 1

This would be something we could say once we have experienced stagnation (again). We are better than last year and serious contenders for the top 3. Last year was a considerable improvement also. I expect us to challenge for the title next year. If we don't, if we drop out of the top 4 again at the end of this year, if the manager starts dropping hints or openly accusing the owners of not supporting him - yes. But at the moment, we are in a good place, enjoying our football and generally moving in the right direction.

Are we better than last year? At the moment I'd say we're about the same we've just had our peaks and troughs at different times. We'll see come May.

I agree with the broader sentiment of this post, in that the net spend isn't the be all and end all, and it certainly doesn't paint the whole picture. However, you cannot disregard what it denotes; value coming in and out of the team. Coutinho was worth 140m to Barcelona. Ostensibly, this means he would be worth the same amount to us. This is the reason why he is the type of player who is 'difficult to replace'.

Moving on, my concern isn't about net spend - if Klopp identified a player for 5m tomorrow who would at least have the potential to strengthen us for the rest of the reason, at least I could get behind something. Inaction is not something I can get behind. It's born out of ill preparation or cowardice, because if we as a club aren't able to find somebody to strengthen this shit squad, those are the only two reasons.

Transfers are my biggest concern under Klopp. I love him, but I've always had this concern. At Dortmund, he had other fellas pulling the strings. Here, he seems like a deer in the headlights. His signings to date have been the following:

• Karius - utterly shite
  • Matip - average and unconvincing
  • Wijnaldum - shite
  • VVD - TBD
  • AOxC - good
  • Mane - great
  • Salah - great, but identified by the recruitment team
  • Robertson - great, but identified by the recruitment team

Forgive me if I've forgotten somebody, and the above isn't posted to lambast Klopp, but to show that apprehension on his ability in the market is fair.

In defense of Klopp, he has spent the square root of fuck all...but it's not clear whether that's his choice or his bosses'.

Honestly, this is a ridiculous post. Do you realize how good a transfer record that is compared to most managers?

The only true failure in that pile is Karius and he came for a pittance. And as crap as I think Wijnaldum is, he's still been a contributor to a top 4 and Champions League knockout stage side. 

When he has decided to spend money, his judgment has been almost completely spot on. That's really not hard to get.

• Upvote 1

But haven't we just improved in one area, and weakened another?

That's my point. Why must we weaken one are of the team to strengthen another?

Why not do both?

Yes, Phil wanted to go, but we knew that, and look like doing nothing about his replacement. 

It looks like the VVD/Keita money has been boxed off by selling Phil.

That's the point. We're an equivalent of the battle of the Somme. Inch, by inch, by inch, by inch.

• Upvote 1

I’ve seen enough and how many more times are we going to say “ if such and doesn’t happen, then we know what their ambition is”

It’s not in their nature to compete, that would take bravery, they are naturally cautious and this sport is not their passion. They obviously can’t be honest about it and have to keep the majority of the fan base “ believing”

They only have an interest in keeping us there or thereabouts which protects their investment, keeps sponsors happy and gives some fans hope.

If, and it’s a big if, we win something it will be in spite of them and not because of them.

They have succeeded in lowering expectations slowly but surely.

What is success to us, isn’t success to them.

• Upvote 3

I’ve seen enough and how many more times are we going to say “ if such and doesn’t happen, then we know what their ambition is”

It’s not in their nature to compete, that would take bravery, they are naturally cautious and this sport is not their passion. They obviously can’t be honest about it and have to keep the majority of the fan base “ believing”

They only have an interest in keeping us there or thereabouts which protects their investment, keeps sponsors happy and gives some fans hope.

If, and it’s a big if, we win something it will be in spite of them and not because of them.

They have succeeded in lowering expectations slowly but surely.

What is success to us, isn’t success to them.

Bang on.

I agree with the broader sentiment of this post, in that the net spend isn't the be all and end all, and it certainly doesn't paint the whole picture. However, you cannot disregard what it denotes; value coming in and out of the team. Coutinho was worth 140m to Barcelona. Ostensibly, this means he would be worth the same amount to us. This is the reason why he is the type of player who is 'difficult to replace'.

Moving on, my concern isn't about net spend - if Klopp identified a player for 5m tomorrow who would at least have the potential to strengthen us for the rest of the reason, at least I could get behind something. Inaction is not something I can get behind. It's born out of ill preparation or cowardice, because if we as a club aren't able to find somebody to strengthen this shit squad, those are the only two reasons.

Transfers are my biggest concern under Klopp. I love him, but I've always had this concern. At Dortmund, he had other fellas pulling the strings. Here, he seems like a deer in the headlights. His signings to date have been the following:

• Karius - utterly shite
  • Wijnaldum - shite
  • VVD - TBD
  • AOxC - good
  • Mane - great
Forgive me if I've forgotten somebody, and the above isn't posted to lambast Klopp, but to show that apprehension on his ability in the market is fair.

In defense of Klopp, he has spent the square root of fuck all...but it's not clear whether that's his choice or his bosses'.

Very selective of you in describing transfers. Karius was excellent when in Germany,Matip is an excellent player and Wijnaldum is a significant upgrade on Lucas. And you cant just separate the signings into Klopp v committee as you simply have no idea if Klopp doesn't sanction signings. I'd say he does and deserves credit for all those signings except for Karius,so far.

You think FSG are shit,fair enough but stop making shit up to support your view.

Moving on, my concern isn't about net spend - if Klopp identified a player for 5m tomorrow who would at least have the potential to strengthen us for the rest of the reason, at least I could get behind something. Inaction is not something I can get behind. It's born out of ill preparation or cowardice, because if we as a club aren't able to find somebody to strengthen this shit squad, those are the only two reasons.

• Karius - utterly shite
  • Wijnaldum - shite
  • VVD - TBD
  • AOxC - good
  • Mane - great

I think you've been generous with Robertson there!

• Upvote 1

Honestly, this is a ridiculous post. Do you realize how good a transfer record that is compared to most managers?

The only true failure in that pile is Karius and he came for a pittance. And as crap as I think Wijnaldum is, he's still been a contributor to a top 4 and Champions League knockout stage side. 

When he has decided to spend money, his judgment has been almost completely spot on. That's really not hard to get.

It isn't ridiculous at all. It's not a bad or a good transfer record, its fairly hit and miss, as I said in my post. I can't conclude either way.

Unfortunately, Klopp doesnt seem to want to buy players at all very often, which is what I am judging him on.

e.g. - I judge him on his reluctance to sell a Daniel Sturridge who has been shite for two years and never in his plans and not buying a backup/alternative for Firmino. 

Inaction is the same as bad action in my eyes.

Very selective of you in describing transfers. Karius was excellent when in Germany,Matip is an excellent player and Wijnaldum is a significant upgrade on Lucas. And you cant just separate the signings into Klopp v committee as you simply have no idea if Klopp doesn't sanction signings. I'd say he does and deserves credit for all those signings except for Karius,so far.

You think FSG are shit,fair enough but stop making shit up to support your view.

Wow, please take your own advice sir.

What have I made up? Your retort is based on your subjective opinion, not fact.

Karius is shit. I don't care if he was a great goalkeeper when he was sucking on his mams tit.

If you think Wijnaldum will ever be half the player Lucas was for us, you're bonkers.

Matip has been average. I don't think he's terrible, but to say he's excellent is equally bonkers.

Klopp has clearly stated in numerous press conferences that Mane wasn't his first choice, Salah was identified by the committee and so was Robertson. It's been reported by numerous journalists close to the club (such as Pearce) too.