You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

FSG are not shit

Dave D

It's opinion not bias. Some have a different view of "successful". Finishing below Spurs 6 out of 7 years and qualifying for CL 2 out of 7 is not very successful in many people's opinion.

I said invested enough "to be successful", not have been successful, the point being, "they have made mistakes when it comes to who/how they make those investment decisions".

We have come very close to winning 4 competitions under their ownership, now its not certain, especially in the league loss in my opinion, but if some that money had been spent more wisely, we may have won some of those

Nobody. Of course it would be better to have got a replacement in BEFORE we sold him. Of course it would be better to get one now. Thing is, it looks like the manager wants to get a particular somebody, like with VVD and Keita. The argument is really this: Should the owners step in and buy somebody over his head or trust the manager.

Does it look like that or have you just made that up. One things for sure, you don't know.

Does it look like that or have you just made that up. One things for sure, you don't know.

I think it's telling that no names are mentioned with any consistency.

Everyone knew he was waiting for VVD, successful or otherwise it was clearly that player he wanted and had done all the leg work for. Everyone knows he's waiting for Keita, that deal is done.

But no definitive names for the summer, no deals done or players convinced just waiting for the nod, not one (so far).

Klopp has shown he will move on from his first choice as often as he's waited for his first choice, there is no trend here no set blueprint at this stage on which we can all hang our hats. Just hope.

I think it's telling that no names are mentioned with any consistency.

Everyone knew he was waiting for VVD, successful or otherwise it was clearly that player he wanted and had done all the leg work for. Everyone knows he's waiting for Keita, that deal is done.

But no definitive names for the summer, no deals done or players convinced just waiting for the nod, not one (so far).

Klopp has shown he will move on from his first choice as often as he's waited for his first choice, there is no trend here no set blueprint at this stage on which we can all hang our hats. Just hope.

So theres no money available to him then.

The alternative is he's an imbilcile who thinks this midfield is good enough. We know that's not true.

So theres no money available to him then.

The alternative is he's an imbilcile who thinks this midfield is good enough. We know that's not true.

Well there is an alternative alternative and that is that there is a player who he can't get now that he's waiting until summer for, it's just that no one apparently has any idea who that is.

I don't believe that alternative however, I think Keita is Coutinho's replacement.

Well there is an alternative alternative and that is that there is a player who he can't get now that he's waiting until summer for, it's just that no one apparently has any idea who that is.

I don't believe that alternative however, I think Keita is Coutinho's replacement.

Yet this theory seems to based around apparently waiting six months to buy a player who could have been bought at any point for the fee we paid

Money wasnt available in the summer and it's not there now. It's that simple.

Yet this theory seems to based around apparently waiting six months to buy a player who could have been bought at any point for the fee we paid

Money wasnt available in the summer and it's not there now. It's that simple.

Money was there in the summer. The club was intent on buying van Dijk Keita and maybe even Lemar. The owners made a public statement that Coutinho was not being sold that window. Ergo the money to buy the 2 or 3 players mentioned was not dependent on selling Coutinho.

Money was there in the summer. The club was intent on buying van Dijk Keita and maybe even Lemar. The owners made a public statement that Coutinho was not being sold that window. Ergo the money to buy the 2 or 3 players mentioned was not dependent on selling Coutinho.

Guesswork

Fact. No major money was spent.

Guesswork

Fact. No major money was spent.

No what you are spouting is just misinformation. Fact major money was spent on keita. But then again you beleive no money has been committed to the deal and Leipzig have just agreed not to sell Keita to anyone else because they have LFCs agreement to pay up an amount which is less than they would get next season if the agreement was not in place.

No what you are spouting is just misinformation. Fact major money was spent on keita. But then again you beleive no money has been committed to the deal and Leipzig have just agreed not to sell Keita to anyone else because they have LFCs agreement to pay up an amount which is less than they would get next season if the agreement was not in place.

So there you go, we agree. No major money was spent.

I don't have an issue selling Sturridge, He contributes nothing and now he is behind Solanke and Ings. Conflating that with not bringing in one or two top players this window doesn't make the argument that FSG are not spending as they should any better or worse,  I want players that don't play gone irrespective of what they spend on transfers,

• Upvote 1

It's interesting you mention that the club made a statement that Countinho would not be sold in that particular window. Southampton made the same statement about VVD after we fucked the deal up, down to specifying that particular window.

Didn't "reliable sources" suggest Coutinho was convinced he was going in the summer so much so he sold his house and cars etc?

Seems to me that it's not wild thinking to suggest that the plug was pulled on the Coutinho sale after VVD fell through and both deals were moved back to January. I think if you look at the timelines that theory could hold.

I would say that if you think that any of that is contentious, then you are letting bias get in the way of logic. Perhaps the level or effect of each is contentious, and is a matter of opinion, but it seems to me that one 'side' of this arguement is more balanced than the other, but maybe I'm just biased..

I don't think we would have a hundred and fifty-six page thread if these issues weren't contentious.

I would certainly argue that they have not invested enough to be successful, because we haven't been successful.  Of course, that depends on what you define as "success".  If it's a top four finish then I suppose we have been relatively successful, although not to the extent that we were before FSG acquired the club.  If you define it as trophies then we're definitely worse off under their ownership, to date.

With regard to the competitive environment, Man City and Chelsea were already in the hands of rich owners prior to FSG's arrival.  The only other club that has emerged as part of the "big six" is Tottenham.  So I don't think that's a valid excuse - it's something Rafa had to live with in his final years of being manager here. 

With genuine respect to your views, I think you look at things too much from an accounting perspective and not through the eyes of a fan.  

Surely the logical thing would be to have a balanced view, to praise them when they do good things, to criticise when they make mistakes, to see that they have invested enough for the club to be successful, to admit that they have made mistakes when it comes to who/how they make those investment decisions, to not peddle lies about them taking money out of the club, and to see the bigger picture in how the competitive environment has changed? 

Eminently sensible. 

Hold on... we’ve not spent enough to be successful because we haven’t been successful!? What sort of logic is that! Leicester spent enough money to be successful but we haven’t even though we spent more? Maybe there’s other factors.

You could give Woy twice as much as City have spend and he still wouldn’t beat Pep. Player procurement has been horrendous. Transfer spending has been fine. We just keep throwing it away. Hundreds upon hundreds of millions on players who were shit.

It’s more grey than this black and white argument. They’re not great owners, but they are doing enough to compete over the long term if the others do their jobs.

It’s not just about spending. We all get so entrenched in our views, then drive each other deeper. It’s silly. There’s no defence of FSG, just an appeal to reason. A wider view.

• Upvote 2

Hold on... we’ve not spent enough to be successful because we haven’t been successful!? What sort of logic is that! Leicester spent enough money to be successful but we haven’t even though we spent more? Maybe there’s other factors.

You could give Woy twice as much as City have spend and he still wouldn’t beat Pep. Player procurement has been horrendous. Transfer spending has been fine. We just keep throwing it away. Hundreds upon hundreds of millions on players who were shit.

It’s more grey than this black and white argument. They’re not great owners, but they are doing enough to compete over the long term if the others do their jobs.

It’s not just about spending. We all get so entrenched in our views, then drive each other deeper. It’s silly. There’s no defence of FSG, just an appeal to reason. A wider view.

A breakout of common sense.  Whatever next?  

• Upvote 1